What's new

Thoughts on preventing drop cieling vibration? (1 Viewer)

Peter_W

Agent
I have a drop cieling and I am looking for tips on how to minimize the vibrations. Any thoughts?

Ethan Winer

Stunt Coordinator
Peter,

Are the tiles physically vibrating? The best solution for that is to lay fluffy fiberglass batts on the top of the tiles. If the fiberglass is thick enough that will also improve the low frequency response in the room. Six inches thick is good, and one foot thick is even better if you have enough space.

--Ethan

Peter_W

Agent
Yes, the entire grid and 2x2 tiles vibrate when the bass is in full force. I recorded "The Wall" off of HDNET, and the vibration really drove me nuts. It's a big cieling, but I guess I could spread the insulation, though it will be a royal pain since the grid is 2x2 and 10' up there. Working the rolls will be really tough. Anyone else have any thoughts? I read somewhere that I could put 703 or 705 insulation squares on top of each panel, but I could not figure out where that could be purchased.

Rutgar

Second Unit
Peter, Ethen's right about the 6" to 12" of Fiberglass on top. That would effectively turn your entire suspended ceiling into a bass trap, and would also help your vibration problem.

Are you using subs? If so another thing to look at are "Grammas". They "de-couple" the sub physically from the room, and helps to cut down on vibrations, without compromising bass response. I use them, and they do work. More information can be found on those here:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...ma-4-2004.html

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Is it the tiles vibrating, or the metal track that is suspended that the tiles rest on? If it is a metal on metal sound you will need to do something where the metal strips cross each other.

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
Is it the entire grid or just in the area of your subs? If it's just above your sub and it's the metal part of the grid making the noise, you could try laying something across the top of the grid to put some weight on it (as long as it has plenty of support wires on it so the extra weight won't bring the grid down).
I would suggest a piece of wood...maybe a 2x6 across several piece of grid. May or may not work, but worth a shot.

Eric_nord

Auditioning
I had a vibration problem also. I went to Home Depot and picked up the softest rubber weather stripping approx 1/8"wide, cut it into 1" lengths placed them on the drop ceiling grid and set the tiles on them. Its been up for 4 years and is still working great. I didn't want to mess with itchy insulation!

good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks