What's new

This is it! I have made a decision! Best $1k (1 Viewer)

Father John A

Stunt Coordinator
Kind of ;)

Some of you know me. Some of you are glad not to know me. My saga is one of the unending search for that "perfect" tv.

Unfortunately my 16 yr. old Sony is finally giving up the ghost. Unfortunately also I'm in need of two displays so money is a major issue. I've decided that I want a 50"+ LCD. Can't afford it though right now.

I've buckled under and decided to go the stop gap route. In the interest of economy and the notion of upgrading in 3 or so years, I am now looking at any display in the $1000 and under category. I assume this will limit me to 720p and probably under 42". That's OK, it will fill the bill for now.

Any suggestions?

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
Go big or go home ;)

Sony 50" KDF-50E2000 LCD Rear Projection is available for $999 at Circuit City.

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
For $1,000 you can purchase a brand-name 50+ Rear Projection LCD or an no-name brand 37" Flat Panel LCD. On a tight budget, you may still want to consider the Rear Projection option, which will offer a superior picture to the 37" LCD. After-all, you did state a preference for 50"+.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
How about a 720p display with a screen size of at least 100" diagonal for $850? The Mitsubishi HD1000 front projector. I own it and love it. I painted my screen for about $40, and built my mount for about $15.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
hi Father
Consider a Panny plasma...on the 42" size thing, you should be close to 1000.
The Sammy DLPs are good and right in that price range.
A Samsung LCD panel would also be right in there (37-42").
Good luck!!
Gregg

ChrisClearman

Second Unit
I was in this same boat in February. I went with the Sony 46 E2000. I think the 50 or even the 56 is down in the $1k range now.

I also considered the 42" Panny plasma and the Samsung DLPs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks