What's new

Thinking Out Of The Box: My New Maggies!! (1 Viewer)

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
Well, after several months and numerous auditions, I went with a complete Magneplanar surround system:
MG1.6/QR (mains)
MGCC3 (center)
MGMC1 (surrounds)
Paradigm PW-2200 (sub)

I auditioned the following main speakers:
Wharfedale EVO-40 $960/pair
Boston Acoustics VR3 $1250/pair
B&W DM-603 $949/pair
Magnepan MG1.6QR $1725/pair ($1495/pair for a demo)
Onix Rockets RS750 $1499/pair
Paradigm Studio 100 $2100/pair

Didn't get to audition:
Swan Diva 6.1 BC $929/pair
Paradigm Studio 60 $1499/pair

Out of all the speakers listed above, the maggies were hands down my favorites!! The Wharfedale EVO-40 would have been my choice for a box speaker...nice sound stage and a little laid back.

As soon as I get it all together I am going to submit new pictures. For now...on with the show!!

Jeff O.

Stunt Coordinator
Alan,
You're going to love the new setup. I agree its hard to beat the Maggies. I recently completed my all Maggie setup with the CC3 center. I think it makes a big difference. Enjoy!
Jeff

BobAlbano

Second Unit
Alan, congrats on the new system! :cool:

I have followed your search for speakers and it's great to know that you have found something that works for you! :emoji_thumbsup:

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Alan, there is only one thing I was concerned about when I was considering the Maggies[well the fact I couldn't fit them in my room without compromise is why I didn't get them],is their max output with movies, I tend to listen movies at near reference levelSo far I heard conflicting views on this. Some say the membrane rattles,or the dynamics[macro]suffers after a certain point,some say none of that is true.My personal auditions of theses speakers were at the dealer's showroom, and I couldn't really crank it up.Your input on this would be very valued.

Robert Cowan

Supporting Actor
i listened to the matrix at -4dB with my system and they werent even really trying. ive never heard buzzing or rattling.

i have 1.6qr's up front, getting MMG's for rears, and i phantom my center channel.

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
Lewis, as soon as I get my system completly set-up and calibrated, I will get out the old SPL meter and let you know how loud these babies play during a movie!!

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
Lewis, I got my system calibrated!! During half time of the Fiesta Bowl (GO BUCKS), I played the beach battle scene of Saving Private Ryan. With my pre/pro set at 0dB, I was at 100dB with peaks at over 106 dB.

Plenty loud for me, and oh so full of base!!

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
Rotel RB-990BX (2 x 200wpc) for MG1.6/QR (front speakers)
Carver AV-705x (5 x 125wpc) for MGCC3 & MGMC1's (center & surrounds)

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
thanks Allen!
Give us a full review when you have a chance.
Oh yeah, do you run the 1.6's in full range or high pass them?[sory for all these questions]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks