What's new

Thinking of buying Collateral 'blindly'.... Worth it? (1 Viewer)

Kain_C

Screenwriter
I LOVE Michael Mann. He is one of the most consistent filmmakers around. His works are all thoughtful, wonderfully shot, exciting, tense, and filled with impeccable acting. I didn't get a chance to see Collateral in theatres (a move I want to kick myself over) and I have heard nothing but good things from friends and critics alike, so I was definately thinking of blind buying this one. I usually have good luck with blind buys, and the fact that a favorite director of mine is behind this one makes the odds look alot more favorable.

Mann has a great visual eye as well, and I hear the way he captures a city's mood (if that makes sense) is particularly profficient here. But I hear he filmed the movie with DV which, in my experience, doesn't lend itself anywhere close to 35mm quality for nighttime shooting. Is this the case here?

What are your thoughts on this film?

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Collateral definitely has a "different" look to it, but the movie is so good that you shouldn't let that bother you at all. If you like Mann's other work, you will LOVE this movie. It was my second favorite movie of the summer(after Spider-Man 2) and I highly recommend it.

Aaron Thorne

Stunt Coordinator

I'd go ahead and buy it blind. I saw this over the summer and highly enjoyed it. And by you being a big fan of Mann :laugh: I seriously doubt you will be disappointed. I'm sure it will be on sale for 14.99 the day it's released and I plan to pick this one up.

Anyone know if this will be a 2-disc set?

Tim-H.

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim-H
Amazon has a listing for it: 2-disc, WS, and DTS! If you're a Mann fan (and WHY didn't you see it theatrically?) I think you'll appreciate what he does with veteran megastar Cruise, rising leading man Foxx, and the city of Los Angeles. Yes, Dante Spinottti was a huge part of the look of Mann's earlier films but I loved the feel of the HD video in this film, and I think it will translate well to the small(er) screen. If you loved Thief-buy this film. If you loved Jerry Maguire-rent it. It you loved Booty Call...you're on your own.

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor
Judging from the DVD for that other Hollywood movie shot on digital (Attack of the Clones), this DVD has the potential to look better on DVD than in the theaters.

As for the quality of the photography: yeah, it may be digital, which doesn't measure up to 35mm (in my opinion, it doesn't even come close). But it gave this film a very different quality -- you can't quite put your finger on it while you are watching it, but you know that you are seeing something fresh and special.

Throw in DTS sound and a bonus disc of features (which you aren't going to find on any other Michael Mann pictures, sadly), then I'm guessing this DVD is going to rock.

Also being a fan of Mann's work, I can say that if I saw it for $14.99 somewhere I'd snap it up.

MikeEckman

Screenwriter

When comparing Attack of the Clones being shot digitally to Collateral, the difference is in the framerate. I think thats what bothered people so much.

I liked the film, but would say that its not for everyone. If you already are a fan of Michael Mann, then its probably safe to say you'll enjoy it!

Juan C

Second Unit
I rented it blindly last weekend. :D Watched on a BenQ PE8700 projector, with a 6' wide screen.

Regarding DV and nighttime shooting Mann says specifically he used the Sony F-900 HD camera because it gave him the detail he wanted on dimly-lit scenes. I won't include any spoilers, but there is a particular one late in the movie that is a real shadow-detail torture test. ;)

The movie is great and works at various levels, as with other Mann films

Oh, and first time ever: a Michael Mann commentary.

DustinPizarro

Stunt Coordinator
I loved this movie despite some minor cliched flaws other viewers have spoken about. The action and suspense literally put me on the edge of my seat when I saw it theatrically. The cinematography is wonderful to behold and I do hope that DVD transfer is flawless. Thank the cinema gods that this is not a Miramax DVD!!

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
I would say it isn't worth buying. It isn't a very good film. Very cliched, sort of a bad and very predictable version of MIAMI VICE. I won't give anything away, but the third act had to be one of the biggest "Oh come on" implausibility sequences of all time. Didn't buy it for a second.

I'd say to go with a rental. I can't imagine wanting to see it a second time.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
I liked it, will be buying it, and should make for an interesting double feature with Top Gun!

Frank@N

Screenwriter
General Blind Buy Suggestion:

Wait till Hollywood Video has a 3/$25 sale.

Pick up several new releases for $8.33 per title.

Watch immediately and sell anything you don't want for $5-7.

GerardoHP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerardo Paron
I just watched it and I'm glad I didn't have to pay for the DVD. I love Michael Mann but I thought this one was a bit overrated.

The performances and some of the action sequences are good, but the movie definitely has some LARGE plot holes and a huge predictability factor, and that detracted from the suspense for me.

Definitely a rental before you buy it, because it's not for everyone's taste.

Real Name
Anthony
I'd agree with that last post. COLLATERAL felt to me like a John Grisham movie with pretensions. The only odd thing about it is that Tom Cruise would usually be playing the cab driver. The photography, however, is fantastic.

Juan C - Mann also does commentaries on THIEF and MANHUNTER, and will be doing one on the upcoming HEAT S.E.

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
If you are a Mann fan, I think you'll like this. It is definetly not up there with Last of the Mohicans or Heat, but besides a couple of "Give me a break!" parts, I think it is just as well made and executed as those two films.

When I saw this in the theaters, I didn't know that it was shot on 1080 DV. I thought it was a filter or post-production effect. In any case, I think it was a style choice that fit the film very well, regardless of how it was acheived.

Leon Liew

Stunt Coordinator
A must have guys ! Just saw it last night it blew me
away a second time, first time was in the theaters. Tom
Cruise was one cool hitman. No regrets even a blind buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks