"They just don't make good movies anymore"

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Steve_Tk, Dec 7, 2003.

1. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

I've been hearing this all the time over the last few years. From family, to people that see the Hellboy preview and that is what they say. Some people have said movies suck now, that they have stopped making just good movies to go sit down and watch. Now they are all too impressed by 'computer stuff' or what they can do. Not just good stories anymore.

Anyone else hear this from a lot of non-hometheater buffs?

2. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

i used to hear this all the time from grown ups when i was a kid in the 70s.

i think it has something to do with childhood nostalgia.

3. Lee-M

Lee-M Stunt Coordinator

These people have apparently not seen The Lord of the Rings (any of the three), or "good" has a different definition for them than for me...

4. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

People have been saying this for the vast majority of film history. Before "they just don't make good movies anymore" was "this movie thing's never going to produce anything but crap".

I'd say the percentage of good movies to bad has remained relatively constant over the years, and with the number of great films out or coming out in the next month, I find the comment about as wrong as I ever have.

5. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Most people who say that haven't seen most of the movies being released.

M.

6. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Producer

Brian
    People just like to bitch about the lack of quality movies coming out. Also these people are not usually what I would even call film buffs, (movie snobs will sniff out the goodies [​IMG] ) These are the folks that will take 50 years of films from the past and compare them to what comes out in any given single year or even a week! It's easy to walk out of a theater after being assaulted by Cat in the Hat and to blurt out "They don't make 'em like they used to" but trust me, there was never a period of time in which films like Ben-Hur, Bridge on the River Kwai, Gone with the Wind, Godfather, Wizard of Oz, Star Wars, E.T., and Casablanca, all came out within the same year.

I worked at a video store for about 6 years and it was my finding that those who griped about the current state of movies, seemed to be drawn to the junky films, like flies to shit. Like the mothers that would moan about the lack of quality non-offensive family films, yet they would ignore any recommendations for Secret of Roan Inish, A Little Princess, or Iron Giant, And instead rent Nutty Professor 2 or Austin Powers for the kids [​IMG]

In "The Old Days" people did not have DVD players, VCRS, PayPerView, and 7 channels of HBO. We watch more movies now than ever before (in one way or another), so we see more of the junk that come out each year. Hell back in the 50's most people would go to a theater for the majority of their film viewing, the average person probably saw about 20 - 50 movies in a year, between the theater and The Movie of the week on TV. So naturally we are subjected to a lot more flotsam.

7. Brian W.

Brian W. Screenwriter

Brian

8. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Producer

Brian

9. John_Lee

John_Lee Supporting Actor

10. MartinTeller

MartinTeller Screenwriter

I can't believe you included The Mask in that list.

11. JasonWynia

JasonWynia Agent

12. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

I wouldn't say "They just don't make good movies anymore".

I would say Hollywood doesn't make films like it use to (starting in the mid to late 70's), meaning mature & intelligent films for adults. Hollywood gave up on the over 30 crowd many years ago. Luckily the independent film industry broke out in the late 80's to bridge this gap. Many of the films that the big studios released in the early 70's would never see the light of day in today's Hollywood.

13. Julian Lalor

Julian Lalor Supporting Actor

14. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

15. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    They do make some good movies but they are widely seen by mass audiences. Remember people would rather watch Reality TV over really good shows so why wouldn't it be the same for the theatres?
    We get the Armaggedons and The Haunted Mansions while movies like You Can Count on Me or Whale Rider go by with little notice.
    Studios are in a business, yes, but they care more about the buck then the really good movies.
    Of course you have the 15 and 20 theatre cineplexes that show the Big Blockbusters in 98 percent of the theatres and youre lucky if you get one Indie in any of those.

16. Hunter P

Hunter P Screenwriter

[​IMG] So the HTF doesn't use this phrase? I guess we just say "that good movie is a rip-off of ____"

17. Jack Shappa

Jack Shappa Second Unit

It's true that we usually remember the good ones and throw away the rest, so any given year seems to pale in comparison to our memories. That said, I don't think any year (maybe 1939) can beat 1982 for great flicks...

Some of the movies of 1982
    ==========================
    E.T.
    Tootsie
    Sophie's Choice
    Ghandi
    Blade Runner
    Star Trek II : Wrath of Kahn
    Conan The Barbarian
    First Blood
    Quest For Fire
    Poltergeist
    John Carpenter's The Thing
    48 Hours
    Officer and a Gentleman
    The Road Warrior
    The Verdict
    Victor/Victoria
    My Favorite Year
    Missing
    Shoot the Moon
    Evil Dead
    Frances
    Annie
    Best Little Whorehouse in Texas
    Rocky III
    Porky's
    Secret of Nimh
    Friday the 13th

18. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Producer

Brian
    I think the real problem is not the lack of good films. No it's not that at all. The problem is that the bad films being made today are on average a lot badder than the bad films being made 40 years ago.

19. Hunter P

Hunter P Screenwriter

Brian,
    That list looks like another "best of" to me![​IMG] Some of those movies rocked. No, they did more than that. They rocked hard.[​IMG]

20. MartinTeller

MartinTeller Screenwriter

Plus the fact that half the films Jack listed are shitty also.