Theater curtains for screen wall....What type of material??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brett Loomis, Dec 26, 2001.

1. Brett Loomis

Brett Loomis Stunt Coordinator

Building a new HT in basement, screen will be 52" x 92" fixed and I want to add curtains to either side of the screen.
    I have narrowed it down to velour and velvet materials in a dark burgundy/red or dark gold color with tassels pulling them back at the halfway point.
    What material did you use and why?? Any comments, photos, links, suggestions are welcome.
    There is a co. called Georgia Stage. (www.gastage.com) that uses velour for ALL theater curtains that they install. Just wanted to solicit some other views.
    Thanks, Brett

2. Tim Kilbride

Tim Kilbride Stunt Coordinator

3. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

I used black velvet curtains purchased from good ol' Bed Bath and Beyond. I couldn't afford velour. They work great and absorb any spillover. You can see pics at my website.

4. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    My wife bought the fabric we used at a fabric store near here. It is black velore, I had wanted just a flat black so I was not crazy about the velore when she first brought it home but now I love the look of the finished wall!
    [​IMG]
    Wes

5. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

Dark Burgundy Velvet was my choice. There were various reasons.
    1. I wanted to block out the light from three windows in the HT I was constructing (local building code requires windows in living spaces).
    2. I wanted to reproduce the "feeling" of my misspent youth back in the early 50's at Saturday matinees at the Park Hill Theater in Yonkers, NY (thus the velvet.)[/list=1]

What I didn't realize at the time was the overall sonic improvement in the room with heavy drapes at the front. My speakers are several feet in front of the drapes and their presence eliminates unwanted reflections. It's very much like the many sound rooms I've been in at some of the major studios. And, as much as I'd like to take the credit for this, was a fortunate accident.

Serendipity! For more on this check out my HT web site.