What's new

Theater curtains for screen wall....What type of material?? (1 Viewer)

Brett Loomis

Stunt Coordinator
Building a new HT in basement, screen will be 52" x 92" fixed and I want to add curtains to either side of the screen.
I have narrowed it down to velour and velvet materials in a dark burgundy/red or dark gold color with tassels pulling them back at the halfway point.
What material did you use and why?? Any comments, photos, links, suggestions are welcome.
There is a co. called Georgia Stage. (www.gastage.com) that uses velour for ALL theater curtains that they install. Just wanted to solicit some other views.
Thanks, Brett

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
I used black velvet curtains purchased from good ol' Bed Bath and Beyond. I couldn't afford velour. They work great and absorb any spillover. You can see pics at my website.

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
My wife bought the fabric we used at a fabric store near here. It is black velore, I had wanted just a flat black so I was not crazy about the velore when she first brought it home but now I love the look of the finished wall!
Link Removed
Wes

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Dark Burgundy Velvet was my choice. There were various reasons.
  1. I wanted to block out the light from three windows in the HT I was constructing (local building code requires windows in living spaces).
  2. I wanted to reproduce the "feeling" of my misspent youth back in the early 50's at Saturday matinees at the Park Hill Theater in Yonkers, NY (thus the velvet.)[/list=1]

What I didn't realize at the time was the overall sonic improvement in the room with heavy drapes at the front. My speakers are several feet in front of the drapes and their presence eliminates unwanted reflections. It's very much like the many sound rooms I've been in at some of the major studios. And, as much as I'd like to take the credit for this, was a fortunate accident.

Serendipity! For more on this check out my HT web site.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks