The world's most remote movie theater!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Weinberg, Jul 24, 2002.

1. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

I read this article at the advice of columnist David Poland, and halfway through it I knew my HTF movie pals would enjoy it.
    Here's the gist: Indie-flick producer (and author of the generally adored book Spike, Mike, Slackers & Dykes) has moved to Fiji (with his entire family) to open a FREE movie theater for the citizens. It makes a lot more sense once you read the article:
    Fiji!!!!
    Enjoy.

2. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

I've seen a movie in Fiji, although not on Taveuni, but in Lautoka (on Viti Levu.) My brother (who was in the in the Peace Corps there) and I were waiting for the weather to clear so a village boat could take us to Naviti Island in the Yasawa group.

The theater was old, the prints old and tattered and there was no air-conditioning. We saw The Big Blue by Luc Besson and some awful B-movie whose name escapes me. The second movie had a fair amount of swearing, violence and sexuality. The more outrageous parts caused a fair amount of giggling amongst the audience and every swear word caused the older Fijian lady seated behind us to go "tut, tut, tut."

It was just one part of a wonderful 3 week expereince for me.