What's new

The Who -- The Kids Are Alright (Official Date) (1 Viewer)

Eric_AP

Stunt Coordinator
Apparently the official release date is 9/30/03. Note that unlike the recent Zep DVD, this will be widescreen/anamorphic. Here is the latest information from the site, including some info. on some nice features on the DVD:

The Kids Are Alright DVD Website

Also, here is a link to a .pdf file from Pioneer, which lists the extras and other technical details on the DVD (right click and choose "save target as" to download the .pdf file):

DVD Details and Extras

Looks like you can isolate the band members with individual camera angles on one of the extras. Choose "pete cam" or "roger cam", etc.

Some of the technical details:

5.1 Dolby Digital Surround Sound
DTS English
English Sub
Widescreen (AR - 1.1:85) Special Edition TBD Canada

Should be a good one. Can't wait!

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
But Pete was exonerated, wasn't he? In other words, The Kids Are Alright, n'est-ce pas?

In any case, I'll be picking this up.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
D'you think maybe - given Pete Townsend's recent troubles -
that title might need changing ?
-
NO. the name of the movie is THE KIDS ARE ALRIGHT.

THAT comment was really a poor attempt at humor and just a cheap shot.
really there is no need to go on about what there was with pete townshend over the last year. lets keep this on topic about the movie and dvd please.

i can't wait for it. DTS. hope the extra time that was taken to produce it will be worth it.

Eric_AP

Stunt Coordinator
I'm a little disappointed that the "extras" on the DVD do not include any entirely new film/video of the band performing -- say during the 1971 to 1974 era -- a period blatantly missing from the original film, and arguably the greatest period for the band as a whole. From post-Tommy, through Quadrophenia.

What better spot than an extra on a 2nd DVD to fill in that huge hole. While that stuff wasn't readily available when the Kids Are Alright was made in 1978, it is now.

The musical "extras" to me on disc 2 are just gimmicky. Re-workings of the same footage we have seen/heard from the original film (new camera angles under our control, re-mixed sound). Nothing entirely new musically/visually.

While the Moonie cam will be interesting (as will the Pete cam), it will also be sad to see Moon not near his former brilliance, fat and just months away from death.

While I'm very very very (did I say very) happy for the DVD itself, I'm a little disappointed in the lack of entirely new concert footage in the extras.

Nonetheless, I'll be at Circuit City with my $20.00 in hand to buy this on 9/30/03. Classic Who in DTS -- cool!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks