What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

The Whisperer In Darkness (2011) -- highly recommended (1 Viewer)

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Lovecraft Noir:
51XAsNiaP7L.jpg

The first H.P. Lovecraft adaptation that is 100% successful, creatively. This independent, low-budget ($350K) production doesn't look cheap. The story has everything it needs production-wise. A major Hollywood studio with a big budget could not have done a better job than the H.P. Lovecraft Historical Society does here. There is an abundance of talent on both sides of the camera. The unknown actors lend credibility and believability. Faithfully and cinematically written, adeptly directed, and photographed in deep dark monochrome worthy of classic noir. I haven't seen a genre film with this much style and substance in a long time.
A visual pleasure.
Buy It Now
http://www.cthulhulives.org/store/storeDetailPages/whisperer-bluray.html
Warning: the trailer is also posted, but DON'T watch it. It gives too much away.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
So nobody is interested in this wonderful film?
It's worthy of Val Lewton at his best. If you can appreciate The Cat People or I Walked With a Zombie, you'll love The Whisperer In Darkness. The story takes place in 1931, and the period detail is convincing in a utilitarian way. The conventional wisdom is that Lovecraft's writing does not lend itself to cinematic adaptation, but this film demonstrates that it can be done.
I give it 5 stars.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Let The Whisperer In Darkness signal the direction to Guillermo del Toro's forthcoming adaptation of At the Mountains of Madness: less is more.

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
Del Toro isn't doing MOUNTAINS... any more, at least for a few years.
http://www.deltorofilms.com/wp/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=454
I have been interviewed about this lately and wanted to post my two cents about this:
Prometheus started filming a while ago- right at the time we were in preproduction on PACIFIC RIM. The title itself gave me pause- knowing that ALIEN was heavily influenced by Lovecraft and his novella.
This time, decades later with the budget and place Ridley Scott occupied, I assumed the greek metaphor alluded at the creation aspects of the HPL book. I believe I am right and if so, as a fan, I am delighted to see a new RS science fiction film, but this will probably mark a long pause -if not the demise- of ATMOM.
The sad part is- I have been pursuing ATMOM for over a decade now- and, well, fter Hellboy II two projects I dearly loved were not brought to fruition for me.
The good part is: One project did... And I am loving it and grateful for the blessings I have received.
Onwards.
G

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Richard--W said:
So nobody is interested in this wonderful film?...
I'm interested, and I'll definitely check it out. Thanks for the heads up!
Vincent

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
THE WHISPERER IN DARKNESS most resembles the recent Academy Award winner THE ARTIST -- which I've just seen -- except it's a talkie and not a comedy. But if you liked THE ARTIST, you'll like this. H.P. Lovecraft wrote the novella in 1930 and published it in 1931, so setting the film in 1931 maintains it period integrity. There is one awkward scene near the end of the second act I wish had been cut. It's brief and doesn't hurt the overall film.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
DVD beaver reviews The Whisperer In Darkness:
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film4/blu-ray_reviews57/the_whisper_in_darkness_blu-ray.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks