What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

The Whale

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Title: The Whale

Genre: Drama

Director: Darren Aronofsky

Cast: Brendan Fraser, Sadie Sink, Hong Chau, Ty Simpkins, Samantha Morton, Sathya Sridharan, Huck Milner, Ryan Heinke

Runtime: 117

Plot: A reclusive English teacher suffering from severe obesity attempts to reconnect with his estranged teenage daughter for one last chance at redemption.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
So, obviously the new Aronofsky picture but notable as well as Brendan Fraser has the lead in the picture which will probably be a good part. Not sure what kind of picture this will be, sounds a bit like The Wrestler and with another actor that has fallen pretty far from his high points doing, maybe, a comeback kind of role. Not sure I am up for downer cinema, something Darren seems to be really into, at this point so I will wait to read a bit more about this before committing to seeing it.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I'm pleased that Brendan Fraser is getting work although I'm not sure this is a film for me. Coincidentally, I have just ordered a blu ray of his television show The Professionals (could be a confusing title if you mistake it for the fine western or Bodie & Doyle!).

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I'm pleased that Brendan Fraser is getting work although I'm not sure this is a film for me. Coincidentally, I have just ordered a blu ray of his television show The Professionals (could be a confusing title if you mistake it for the fine western or Bodie & Doyle!).

Fraser played an Orson Welles type role in No Sudden Move and was good in that. He also is in Scorsese's new one Killers of the Flower Moon which looks great. I think he was in the new Batgirl movie that got cancelled as well. So, he is getting some interesting work that seems pretty high profile. I hope he gets some attention for The Whale but I am not up for some horribly depressing ride right now so, if that is what it turns out to be I will pass for at least a while. Aronofsky is a fantastic filmmaker but I prefer his weird stuff to his make you want to slit your wrists stuff.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Yes, word on this is Fraser is going to get a slew of best actor nominations and is likely going to win the Best Actor Oscar at the Academy Awards. That said, this does not sound like it will be easy viewing by any stretch.

Fraser is said to be fantastic in this, so hats off to him.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Yes, word on this is Fraser is going to get a slew of best actor nominations and is likely going to win the Best Actor Oscar at the Academy Awards. That said, this does not sound like it will be easy viewing by any stretch.
Of course he is. He's a pretty actor who has "gone ugly" for a role as an everyday schlub. Those always win lots of awards as Hollywood rewards its own for daring to take a role where they look like average folk.

I expect it to clear the boards in awards season.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Of course he is. He's a pretty actor who has "gone ugly" for a role as an everyday schlub. Those always win lots of awards as Hollywood rewards its own for daring to take a role where they look like average folk.

Not sure Fraser is considered pretty anymore or has been thought of that way for some time but I agree with you that his role in this picture checks a bunch of the automatic Oscar nomination boxes. I think his performance here, as the lead, will also be considered a "comeback" and so this will cause people to vote for him as well. By all accounts he is fantastic in the picture so I take nothing away from the guy.

I have not seen the picture but it sounds like it may be a painful watch.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Fraser "went ugly" a long time ago. He's not been "pretty" for years.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
How about this no spoiler line from a review of the picture:

But it’s actually something far rarer and more wonderful: a piercing, compassionate parable about grace and reconciliation, told with truly Biblical force.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Fraser "went ugly" a long time ago. He's not been "pretty" for years.

His life took some sad and difficult turns and so it is good to see him involved in some excellent projects. I would also say, he seems to actually have become a better actor in the intervening years. Not sure in his matinee idol days he would be getting the kind of parts he is getting now. He appears to be quite a nice guy so glad he is getting this second act.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
In truth I don't know if it actually is a downer, some people seem to be claiming it is an uplifting story, so maybe you won't feel like jumping off a bridge when it is over.
I do get the impression it's something like The Wrestler, but with a light at the end of the tunnel. The Wrestler certainly had no light at the end.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I do get the impression it's something like The Wrestler, but with a light at the end of the tunnel. The Wrestler certainly had no light at the end.
Yes, I would agree. Both stories have a father and an estranged daughter he would like to reconnect with. In both cases the father is in very poor health which could kill him before he has a chance to set things right with his daughter.

For the record, the only Aronofsky picture I really felt was morbidly depressing was Requiem for a Dream, which was just a tough watch. His other pictures though, I was fine with. I mean, I saw Mother! as a black comedy.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
For the record, the only Aronofsky picture I really felt was morbidly depressing was Requiem for a Dream, which was just a tough watch. His other pictures though, I was fine with. I mean, I saw Mother! as a black comedy.
I always appreciate his movies, but they can be a rough ride.

My pessimists capsule review of some of them.

Requiem for a Dream: Life sucks, then you die.

The Wrestler: If you are your own worst enemy, just give up. It'll never get better and you'll just get your hopes up.

The Fountain: True love can be found, but probably not until after one of you is dead.

Black Swan: If it isn't one thing, it's your mother.

mother!: The Earth was a beautiful place, until all the damn humans showed up.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks