What's new

The Waltons S1...Anyone have a review of ot? (1 Viewer)

Randy Gray

Stunt Coordinator
The subject pretty much was my question. I picked this up today but haven't had a chance to look at it. Just wondering if anyone else bought it.

Randy

Jim Dalton

Stunt Coordinator
My wife just picked this up yesterday at Sam's Club for $29. She is most anxious to watch it. Me? I can wait. :D

Although I do enjoy The Homecoming (VHS) and will get the DVD for next Christmas.

Bryn G

Agent
There is also a review at dvdtalk.com. I've watched the first 3 episodes - it looks great so far, altho I'd be interested in finding out what has been cut out of these shows for syndication purposes.

nyrB

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I got this at Sam's yeaterday and watched the first two episodes. Outside of the opening credits looking worn out, the actual episodes looked and sounded very good.

I am looking forward to finishing this set. I forgot how much pleasure this series gave me as a teen. It reminded me of comfortable Thursday nights spent in front of the TV with my family.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I agree Doug. After attempting to watch the horridly time compressed version shown on TNN, this set is very welcomed. I hope the next few seasons aren't too far away.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I just watched the first three episodes and I really enjoyed them. Quality is very satisfactory, and I'm very eager and hopeful to see future Season Sets.

I really love the introduction credits for this first season; I think it's a great way to start each show and introduce the characters to us. I don't recall this "live opening" when I used to watch the program; the only one I remember is the beginning featuring old fashioned sepia tone stills.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
The opening seems much longer than I remember, although I do remember most of it.

DanFe

Second Unit
I think that opening was season 1 stuff. From season 2 they went to the stills. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Dax P

Stunt Coordinator
Does anybody understand why there are five discs in the set? They're doing three episodes to each side... 24 shows (going to work out perfect to 4 discs), they get to 4b, put two shows on it, and then just 1 show on side A of a 5th... just struck me as odd. Would be nice if The Homecoming had been snuck on there...

Only skimmed the first disc so far, looking for glitches, none so far- picture quality looks great.

I was born the month these started airing...

ScottRichard

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
I am so happy that I decied to pick this up on basically a whim! I remembered watching it every week growing up but really hadn't thought of it for years and wondered if I'd like it now. I can't stop watching it--wonderful show! Aside from some of the opening credits, as others have mentioned, the picture quality is great! This show is more than 30 years old and doesn't look nearly as good on TVland or the Hallmark channel. I can't wait for more, and I just can't get the opening theme song out of my head! Actually, I've been amazed at how good the music is in this show. It's funny because when I first started watching this set I was thinking that the opening seemed different and that I remembered the above mentioned sepia credits, but it's slowly been coming back to me that I do remember the first season opening--it's just been so long since I've seen these episodes! As for the DVDs, I suppose it would be nice to see some extras--commentaries, interviews, etc.--but the price is right and the quality of the DVDs and the show itself sort of outweighs that for me.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
The last episode is a two hour episode, which is why they put it by itself. I guess the quality would have suffered had they crammed it on the fourth disc.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I have all sorts of DVDs - films, television shows, etc... but I NEVER have any type of problems with them, and my Sony Player serves me well.

Having said that I have to mention that I've watched 9 of these episodes now, and a few times there have been slight instances of what I guess could be compression artifacting.
It's hard to describe, but sometimes when a character moves suddenly or something, they seem to look like they're in slow motion for a moment or something. One of these was when someone was running. It only lasts a second or two and it's rare, but it has happened. Anyone else notice this? I mention it because I never have these problems with any other discs on my machine, as minor as these are.

Dax P

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for answering, Jeff.

Didn't see in any episode guide that the 24th was double-length, and haven't watched them yet, so I was puzzled...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks