What's new

The Upgraded Anthem AVM-20 2.1 (1 Viewer)

wayne p

Stunt Coordinator
Good question Jason GT.

I have often wondered the same thing. Although I am happy with the CD & DVD-A (the former via coax & the latter analog of course but with digital conversion at the AVM-20) sound of my Panny DVD-7A it is now many model years behind in technology. It is built like a tank and will no doubt continue to function flawlessly for many more years, but I got to think some of the newer players offer audio improvements.

I have considered test driving other players but I would like to keep the list as short as possible. The problem with deciding on a shortlist is the question of whether or not it should be strictly CD or a combi-player compareable to my Panny. As DVD-A is being converted to digital by the AVM-20 it seems thst as long as the player is supplying input of reasonable quality there would be little difference in sound from player to player. If this assumption is correct should I try out CD only players?

Wayne

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Before we venture off into the land of DVD players in the Audio/Video Sources forum, I thought I would ask the opinion of Anthem owners. We currently have a 5 year old Onkyo Integra DPS-5 single disc player, but with the pending purchase of our first HDTV (probably a 50-55" DLP or LCD RPTV), we have been looking at possibly replace our aging DVD player.

A couple of items should be noted. Our current DVD player is not capable of DVD-A nor SACD, so this may be something we want to consider with the new DVD player. Then again, there might be instances where a standalone SACD would be the better option.

Our current DVD player does not have DVI or HDMI output, nor is it progressive scan. The interesting part is that we auditioned the Mits 52725 DLP this evening using a lower-end Sony DVD changer, and the TV performed better with a 480i signal rather than a 480p signal. I'm guessing this may have more to do with the DVD player than the TV.

Okay, the important consideration. I would like to keep the cost less than $1000, preferably less than $700. I have no need for high-end Redbook CD performance from a DVD player as we are using the Audio Refinement CD Complete and this CDP is splendid for Redbook CDs.

We are looking for the best video performance and flexibility our budget will allow, with the hope that DVD-A (and SACD) playback will compliment the AVM-20. Yes, I am asking for the world! :D

Michael

Levesque

Supporting Actor
You can buy the Denon 3910 or Pioneer Elite 59avi in this price range. HDMI, firewire, upscaling. Both are awesome universal players.

With the upcoming firewire upgrade on the AVM20, you will then be ready to use it!

Dan Schulze

Stunt Coordinator
It's been a while since anyone has posted - so why not.

I recently purchased an HDTV and I am experiencing a video/audio sync problem. The video is delayed slightly (I am assuming because of the extra video processing that is necessary when using HDTV). Sometimes it is worse than others, and sometimes it is not noticable. For the purpose of this discussion I am concerned with the sync when watching a DVD.

My question is, has anyone played with the settings in the AVM 20 to delay the Audio slightly?

I was thinking of changing my speaker distances from my current setting to zero or near zero.

Any thoughts?

Thank-you.

Dan

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Dan,

I have played around with the audio synch feature on my AVM-20 because of the issue surrounding the Moulin Rouge! DTS track that had a glitch with certain players in that the audio didn't synch with the video and I got the AVM-20 to delay the audio slightly to allow it to synch up with the video. The AVM-20 has sufficient bandwith to pass a HDTV signal so I don't think the issue is with your processor, but mainly from your HDTV provider. I know that in the past, Comcast had an audio delay on their CBS HD feed when I first signed up and when I called them about the issues (as their primetime lineup was unwatchable because of it), they acknowledged the error was on their end.

On a different note, to change the audio delay, you wouldn't alter your speaker distances, it's in the advanced features setup somewhere that you would tell the processor how many milliseconds of delay to apply...it has nothing to do with the distance you sit from your speakers and is located in a totally different location in the setup menu.

Dan Schulze

Stunt Coordinator
On a different note, to change the audio delay, you wouldn't alter your speaker distances, it's in the advanced features setup somewhere that you would tell the processor how many milliseconds of delay to apply
Evan,

Thanks for your response. I thought I had seen the audio delay somewhere, but when I glanced through the menus, it didn't pop out at me. I found it in the source set-up menu, after digging a bit deeper.

Thank-you.

Dan

Levesque

Supporting Actor
Latest info from Anthem. I'm sure some AVM20 owners will be really happy to read that! :D

"preliminary info:

Scheduled for release in spring 2005 (exact timing not known since it's under development), we're currently putting together hardware upgrades for the AVM 20/30 and Statement D1 that will include:

- IEEE 1394 input for DVD-A and SACD (2 inputs)

- HDMI inputs (4) and HDMI output (1). HDMI also accepts DVD-A.

- Video transcoding that digitally converts Composite, S-Video, and Component Video inputs to Component Video and HDMI output. ("Upconversion" which is analog format conversion is a misnomer and usually only looks good on a feature sheet because the component video output can look pretty bad compared to original S-Video input).

- Statement D1 will have a built-in scaler for Component Video and HDMI outputs, user-selectable up to 1080p.

- Component Video switching will be added to Zone 2.

DVI - Connectors won't be added because DVI can be connected to HDMI input via adapter for the picture, and audio portion can be connected to any digital audio input jack, then re-assigning it to HDMI input in the setup menu.

Main difference is that the D1 will get the scaler, the others will not. Other differences are relatively minor. All will get HDMI, IEEE, and Zone 2 component video.

Prices to be announced when actual release date is approached.

If you have any further questions, please contact me.

Best Regards,
Nick P., Technical Support"

I can't believe the AVM20 will be good to go for another 3-4 years. Wow! :emoji_thumbsup:

No false promises. Bravo Anthem.

Marc_E

Supporting Actor
Anthem CONTINUES to set the new level of excellence. Outstanding Nick/Frank and everyone at Anthem/Sonic Frontiers.
Thanks for the info Lev.
Marc

Dan Schulze

Stunt Coordinator
Absolutely outstanding news!!!! I was glancing at the rear of my AVM 20, when I was hooking up my new HDTV, and I was thinking, it would be nice to have DVI or HDMI inputs/outputs, and I will now get my wish!!! What excellent news!! Way to go Anthem!!! Thank-you!!

Lévesque - thanks for the news!!!

Dan :D :emoji_thumbsup:

wayne p

Stunt Coordinator
More companies should support their products and customers like Anthem. Although there has been delays they do follow through on their promises. I am glad I kept my 20 and look forward to upgrading in the spring/summer of '05.

Video transcoding, 4 HDMI inputs and two IEEE 1394 inputs wow!

wayne

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I can understand the appeal of video switching in a HT prepro or receiver (less wire clutter, easier to use for non-HT family members, etc.). But what about calibrating your TV (or projector) for each individual video source? By going through a video switcher (be it external or in a HT prepro or receiver) you lose the ability to calibrate each individual source to the TV.

Maybe this isn't a problem with HDMI components, but with just a DVD player and an XBOX using component video inputs I found that we needed somewhat different video settings in our TV for each component.

Michael

AlanWms

Stunt Coordinator
Lévesque, thanks for the update!! While not everyone is thrilled to hear this news, I for one am psyched to learn of these upgrades!

WOW, Nick/Frank and everyone at SF are really about customer satisfaction.

Alan

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
My apologies to everyone for bringing up the topic of TV calibrating and video switching. My purpose was not to rain on Anthem's parade. I am still impressed to this day that they still try very hard to provide value to their customers and succeed quite often.

With the purchase of a new TV that allows for video settings separate for each source input and a previous TV that had a single set of global video settings, this is something new to me. Also, before we had a DVD and a VCR. Now we have added an XBox for our kid and will soon be deciding on either HD cable TV or Direct TV with TiVo (DirecTiVo), adding two more sources to consider.

Am I correct in guessing that most people want the convenience of HDMI video switching, even if it means losing the ability to calibrate your TV or projector for each source separately?

Michael

Minesh Patel

Stunt Coordinator
I can't speak for everyone, but I for one welcome the opportunity to use a switcher. My projector has four memory settings that apply globally (independent of input) so I just calibrate for each source, then switch to that memory setting as needed. Using a Harmony remote makes the process very simple, the wife & kids don't even know its happening.

If your tv doesn't support different memory settings, a compromise might be to calibrate the tv for the device that's used most then make changes for when you watch the other devices. Of course, you could just bypass the switching and run everything directly to the TV.

Nicholas S

Auditioning
Any word yet on whether these prospective upgrades will be field installable or will the AVM have to be shipped back to the factory?

The logistics for these upgrades will likely be as significant as the upgrades themselves.

wayne p

Stunt Coordinator
The inability to tweak each source component is not a major concern to me. With the memory settings on the display device and the flexibility with the AVM-20 to keep my current analog connection while adding the HDMI connection I do not anticipate a degradation of PQ from any source. In the unlikely event a non-digital source, such as my DVD player, looks better pre-transcoding it would be a simple push of the remote to switch inputs. Meanwhile the 20 is future ready as source components are upgraded. I do not see a downside here.

wayne

Paul Gere

Second Unit
Outstanding news!
Geez, I can't say enough about Anthem's support.

Like many here, I'll be anxious to learn if the unit will be field or factory serviced.

-Paul

Frank joe

Stunt Coordinator
ok i also have the avm 20 and i love it. i did not install the lastest software as of yet. my question is the dmi in and out , my tv has the dvmi imput but my dvd player denon 2900 does not. ( and i love the denon) so im not trading it in what will the dvmi do for us???????????? as in avm 20 owners , aslo has anyone installed the up dated software and is it a big difference???? i have mine 1 year now.
i brought back the b&k rev 50 piece of crap.
frank

Dan Schulze

Stunt Coordinator
has anyone installed the up dated software and is it a big difference????
Frank,

I installed v2.15 several weeks ago, and although no noticeable difference in sound, it fixed a problem I was having. When switching sources the speaker configuration assigned to that source wouldn't always switch. This upgrade fixed that problem.

I also had posted a reply a couple of months back.
Here is the link, rather than retype the post.
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...97#post2395697

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks