What's new

The un-official "Will I see an improvement with DVI ? Thread (1 Viewer)

anthony_b

Screenwriter
I've been asking myself this same question for about 6 months and have read almost every post regarding this issue, mostly because I didn't want to shell out more cash on a DVI-D cable (paid a lot for my existing component ones)and the fact that I have a 48inch CRT unit, which supposedly would not benefit from this type of connection. So here are my thoughts on the subject:

Source for HD: SCIENTIFIC ATLANTA 4200HD w/DVI
DVI cable: BELKIN 6FT (Purchased at Dell.com for $40 shipped)link:http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...&page=external

So, I was pretty happy with my reception of analog and HD channels through my component connection already but I decided to take a shot for $40 bucks and see what the hype was all about. I connected my new DVI-D dual link cable (awesome build with gold terminals and as thick as my index finger, very impressed for the price) and proceeded with the setup menu of my set, and the cable box. I turned on the TV first, then the cable box and noticed that the colors and contrast were a bit dull/washed out. So I freaked out at first, but then with a simple adjustment in the user controls the tv looked really good (My set has different settings for every input, and I had never played around with the "Digital-in" source as opposed the the video-1/2/3/4 inputs that I had already adjusted. After that I noticed some inprovement in contrast and details in shows like Cirque de Solie on BravoHD and there was some football on TV last night on FOXHD (yes FOX is now HD !!..It started last night),the HD Olympics and I was very satisfied. With the analog channels I noticed some more grain on channels that were subpar already (I'm thinking that it's due to the more detail the new connection is providing, it magnifies the imperfections of an already bad channel, other analog channels looked really good). Overall it was worth the expense, but for those who go the $100 monster cable route it's not worth the investment. Another benefit is that I'm using my TV'S internal circuits to provide the picture on my set and that I free up a component set for another high def source (One is already used with my DVD player).

I hope this helps any of you who are on the fence with this such as I was. Your experiance might be better or worse than mine so feel free to post your experiances with this

:emoji_thumbsup:

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
Nice. You had the outcome I would have expected.

Rule of thumb, folks. Don't ever spend more than $10 per meter, give or take, on any cable, or you are being ripped off.

Paul Stanley

Stunt Coordinator
Eric, some folks - myself included would argue your rule of thumb. But thats been discussed ad nauseum.

Robert Cowan

Supporting Actor
i disagree too. ive had SEVERAL customers that have used the cheap-o cable, and then tried a monster, or even a good one like audioquest, and they like it. ive even given them out for free evaluations, and they end up buying them.

at least have an open mind people.

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
Ok, that $10 per meter certainly isn't in concrete, but...there's a certain point in my mind that's not a lot higher than that figure that I personally wouldn't cross nor recommend others to do so if you have budget issues to be concerned with.

There's a lot of myth and marketing that one must sift through to get to the truth. I am sure you all have satisifed yourselves personally on this issue. :)

My $0.02. ;)

anthony_b

Screenwriter
Please guys, don't make this a cable issue. I started this thread to discuss the benefits/non-benefits of DVI with CRT sets.

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor
Having just purchased an HDTV set recently, I wanted to upgrade my Explorer 8000 set-top box for an HD model (e.g. Explorer 8000HD). A Time Warner CSR informed me that due to hardware issues with their HD DVR models, it may be months before one is available for exchange. I could probably make the switch to an HD set-top box (sans DVR capabilities), but I've become so reliant on my DVR that I'm willing to sacrifice my PQ for a while. I'm anxious to see what the results would be like with a DVI-D to HDMI cable.

anthony_b

Screenwriter
Ken, I hear you. But I'm pretty sure you spent a grand or two on your tv and It's craving for you to inject it with that 1080i-HD juice !!...:D Do it. :emoji_thumbsup:

Tom McA

Stunt Coordinator
Ken et al -

I have the TW Cable HD box, and at first, connected it with a DVI cable. A TW tech told me that although DVI apparently works, it's not "approved" due to some "problems". Dunno what problems they're talking about, but I went ahead and switched to component cables. I'm happy with the PQ, plus there are 2 other advantages:

1) With DVI, when I brought up the channel info bar, or the program guide which shrinks the current channel's picture to one corner, it must've switched line standards, because the TV would go completely blank for a second or two before bringing up the picture again. Very annoying. With component, the guide pops right up without completely redrawing the screen.

B) Occasionally when I flipped around HD channels, a channel would just come up static (HD static, though...). I'd have to flip away and back for the channel to come up properly. With component, no problem.

So my two cents is that PQ is good with either, but DVI may be hinky depending on your cable provider / box.

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor
Tom:

I'll keep your suggestion re: the component cables and the HDTV set-top box in mind when I'm ready to make the upgrade (which I'm hoping is sooner rather than later).

anthony_b

Screenwriter
Tom, that might be a cable provider or reciever issue. What I have been reading a lot is that cable companies around the country give you "attitude" if your having problems with your DVI connection. They're response to everything is "hook it up through component, we don't support the DVI connection"....I hope this changes.

anthony_b

Screenwriter
Now that I've had the set hooked up for about a week with DVI, I can really see an improvement on HD channels. Last night's convention coverage was awesome on INHD channel. Skin tones were very natural and more depth/vibrant colors.

My biggest issue has been finding a middle ground with the user settings for analog channels and HD channels.

Robert Hoffman

Stunt Coordinator

Ken, do what I do. We've got two cable boxes running into 1 TV. It costs an extra $5 a month, but at least you can watch stuff in HD.

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor

The good news (I hope) is that Time Warner is finally offering an HD DVR (I believe it's the Scientific-Atlanta Explorer® 8000HD) in my neck of the woods, so I plan to swap my old DVR for this early next week. TW is including component cables for the hookup; I'll give those a try to see if they're at least decent (don't want to spend for new cables if I don't have to).

Ian_J

Stunt Coordinator
Anthony,

Based on your last post, have you changed your opinion? Is the DVI a significant improvement now?

Thanks,
Ian

anthony_b

Screenwriter
Ian, I've kept my DVI connection. During HD programming I see contrast and detail improvements that were not there with component.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks