What's new

The Stones are great, but I'm ready for the CCR SACDs! (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I am absolutely loving the Stones Hot Rocks 1964-1971 on SACD. It is outstanding! It is the only Stones remaster I have bought thus far, and I will probably end up with all 22 titles eventually. The Stones are great, and having 22 Stones titles on SACD is great for the format, but I hope Sonopress gets through production of initial quantities of the Stones discs soon. I am ready for Creedence Clearwater Revival on SACD! I love CCR, and I want to hear their classics on SACD...now! Recently, I picked up a sealed copy of the DCC gold CD of Pendulum, which is a Steve Hoffman production, and "Have You Ever Seen the Rain?" is wonderful. I can only imagine how great it would sound on SACD. I don't want to have to imagine it any longer! Give me the SACD! Who's with me? Aw, come one! This could be best night of our lives, and you're going to let it be the worst. :D

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
On a related note, does anyone know how the CCR SACDs will be distributed? I know that Acoustic Sounds will be selling them. What about other e-tailers? Any chance we will see them in brick-and-mortar stores? Perhaps I should post a question on Steve Hoffman's forum.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Keith, one thing that we won't like about the Creedence CD's will be the price. Analogue Prductions asks $25 a pop:frowning: . They've put out some of the finest SACD's but you can't get them at K-Mart..... Best wishes!

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Rachael,
I've heard about the $25 price tag. :frowning: That's still cheaper than Hoffman's DCC gold CDs used to sell for. I am wondering if we will see the CCR SACDs at Best Buy, Circuit City, etc. since these stores used to get the DCC gold CDs.
Kevin,
I didn't want to sound greedy. ;) The Who is supposed to be coming to SACD (My Generation), and I hope that information is correct. As for Zeppeling and Cream and..., we can always dream. I'm also waiting for the Beatles.

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
While I'm picking up a few of the Stones titles, I don't have an SACD player. CCR on SACD might push me over the edge. Of course, the only album I really want is Mardi Gras; the rest suck. ;)
I own the 6 CD CCR boxed set that came out last fall. I'm not sure why the sonics are so maligned for this release. I'm not an audiophile by any stretch; the discs sound fine to me. Definitely better than the old CDs. I guess they don't stand up to the DCC Gold CDs (?). Still I like the extra material and the inclusion of a remastered Live in Europe.
Probably my favorite pure rock 'n roll band of all time.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I already have my order in. :)
I understand from Steve Hoffman that Suzie Q is absolutely dynamite!
I would not worry too much about the price even if it is steep, you get what you pay for generally with Acoustic Sounds.
:)

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
I pre-ordered the two CCR's from Analogue Productions figuring they won't show at typical B&M's. For a guy that grew up in the sixties my music inventory is kind of thin. So having the opportunity to grab quality hybrids like the $25 CCR's is OK by me because of the versatility of the dual layers.

I read that Mr. Hoffman got the OK to do more of the CCR inventory (plus some Everly bros & Zombies) so I think we are on to something good! It'll be fun to compare the quality to the Stones re-masters to perhaps give us some kind of benchmark for future stuff.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Keith, I posted about Analogue Productions slew of upcoming releases scheduled for the 30th (tomorrow!). This includes two CCR albums along with many jazz titles. I plan on getting one when I order the jazz stuff, which has a higher priority for me.

The $25 price tag is a shame, but that's what the label does.

I asked about DCC gold discs before- I see a whole bunch of them used at Newbury Comics for $15.99 (Coltrane and Miles). Either it's a blessing that I should be jumping on now, or something fishy is going on.

NP: Miles Davis, We Want Miles

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I see a whole bunch of them used at Newbury Comics for $15.99 (Coltrane and Miles).
Mike,
This reminds me, I may be in Boston soon on business - mid September hopefully. Newbury Comics is yet another reason to go to Boston.
Let me know if you want to meet and talk music and audio... :)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Lee said:

I would not worry too much about the price even if it is steep, you get what you pay for generally with Acoustic Sounds.
I couldn't disagree more. By today's standards, $25 for a single SACD is high. Sony SACDs are widely available for under $20. The retail price for Rounder, Telarc, and Chesky SACDs is $19.99. Geez, look at the prices for the Stones discs. Analogue Productions and Groove Note are still at $24.99. They need to get with the program.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Maybe, but the economics of APO may differ. They have made some serious equipment investment recently and I am sure that Steve Hoffman is not inexpensive. Maybe the small batch nature is hurting, although my price quotes for replication certainly indicate that the raw material costs are not great at all - $1-1.50 per disk.

I do agree that on the face of it, $25 is very high. One would think that the number should be as close to redbook retail as possible.

HankM

Second Unit
I just picked up Let It Bleed, Beggars Banquet and Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out!. I'm listening to the DSD SACD layer on my Sony SCD-777ES. These remasters are fantasic, I never heard Get Yer... sound so dynamic. I can't believe I'm gonna say this but these sound better than my Rolling Stones Mobile Fidelity 11 LP box set. I never thought the Stones would sound this great!:D :emoji_thumbsup:
Oh, my turnatable is a Linn LP-12 Valhalla with a Rega RB-900 tonearm with a Rega Exact MM stylus.

Emil Stoica

Second Unit
Keith,

The CCR discs are now showing a release of September 24 along with all the other Acoustic Sound discs.

At least I have the Stones discs to keep me occupied but it is rather frustrating.

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
Emil, I was just about to post the same thing after checking Elusive... I agree about the Stones, I've got a few and I'm sure density will pop more to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks