What's new

The Stepfather Uncut Trilogy Box Set? Will it ever be released in Region 1 (1 Viewer)

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
I recently did a thread in the other region section, but am having an impossible time tracking this down. I cant find it anywhere whatsoever. No online site, No Ebay, No Auction Sites, nowhere. It's as if it no longer exists and never did. I have only been able to find one review period.

This was a very bizarre type of Limited Edition from Germany that was recently made. Only 3000 copies exist and no more will be made.

So, what I am wondering is if anyone has ever heard about this set ever hitting Region 1?

Why do I want this set? For Part 1 of course. For scary Jerry. I would use the sequels as trading pawns. I might be able to trade Stepfather 3 for a Gumball , but thats another story alltogether.

What does the set have? It seems like a pretty good set for this series. Better than any of the Region 1/2 Counterparts.

All 3 movies are completely restored and remastered in their Uncut forms. Part 2 is a X rated Version that has never been shown or released in the US. The transfers are suppose to be very good on all three and the best any of them have seen.

I have never seen a good transfer of the original Stepfather, so I would be interested. Even the region 2/4 stand alones are subpar VHS quality in fullscreen so I never bought them.

I have also never seen any of these uncut. Closest was the deleted scenes on the Miramax S2 DVD.

Any chance of this set ever being released in the US or even just the first movie as a special edition with these items? I didnt care much for the sequels anyways, so I wouldnt loose sleep over them.

Here are the sets features:

Remastered/Restored Uncut Anamorphic Widescreen 1:85 transfers
English Dolby Digital 2.0 Soundtracks
Dutch/German 5.1
Part 2 X-rated Version
Deleted Scenes from the movies (I do remember tv scenes from the first from years ago. A few were actually decent. Like with the Stepfather making a Honeymooners reference to his wife).

Collectors cardboard packaging with 3 half-size amaray-style cases and a booklet
Trailers for all three movies
Filmographies
Slideshows

Pic is borrowed:

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
I too have been searching, and couldn't ever find it. It's like the friggin holy grail of DVD releases... I think the whole thing was a damn hoax! ;)

I DID manage to find a copy of the first one off of ebay. The review claimed it to be a legit NTSC region 1 asian import, but I knew it was just a copy of the german release of part one.

It's in anamorphic widescreen, with no special features, and it skipped on my home DVD player, but plays fine on my computer.

The picture quality was stunning to say the least. Very high marks there. I ended up getting it for roughly 30 dollars shipped. It also has the German cover art, but no box (just a white CD slipcase, similar to what a cd-rom disc would come in).

The guy insisted that it was an asian import disc, but even the "one year later" subtitle was in german, so I KNEW it was just a copy of that release (which is now OOP, and impossible to find as well)

I think they pop up every once in a while, and that would definitely keep you happy until a real region 1 release comes out.

It makes me mad every day to know one of my favorite movies has NO release in sight... argh.

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
Great. I did Good and Yahoo searches and found nothing either.

Anyways, anyone know if this site is reliable and if there is option to change it to English so I can order?

Conversion rates?

I dont know a word of German. Damn... Well, I know the word for Spider, but thats about it.

Thanks.

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
They're reliable. I've bought stuff from them in the past. Most notably 'Dust Devil' director's cut. The Night of the Demons trilogy too.

Shipping is SLOW though.

Gereon_B

Grip
I own the set mentioned above, so it obviously does exist. The transfers are good, but not brillant - but they are certainly miles ahead of the Carlton DVD.

There are no deleted scenes on the first or third Stepfather DVD; only the second DVD has some (probably the same they cut into the X-rated version).

The X-rated version of Stepfather 2 is nothing special; they just edited the deleted scenes that were on the region 1 DVD into the movie.

There is no dutch language track on either of the DVDs.

Since it's a german DVD set, it is problematic to buy it there since Stepfather 2 is regarded as being possibly harmful to the youth and must not be shown openly in stores or be sold via the net. This is not a problem in Austria or Switzerland where the shop you mentioned is from.

The price tag you mentioned is heavy; they sell the set for 49 Euros at a shop called dtm. I am not yet allowed to post the link, so just add www before dtm.at. Maybe you can contact them via Email if they ship to the states too?

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
Thanks!!!

If thats the case, I will just pick up the 1st movie then. I see it's sold individually at one of the sites.

Like I said, I didnt really care for the sequels much. Too bad about Part 1 not having it's deleted scenes.

Some I remember were decent when I saw them on tv years ago. Oh well I guess.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
First, I think THE STEPFATHER is a good horror film and I'm anxious to get it one day in R1.

Some questions about the sequels, though:

1) I saw PART 2 in theatres and remember it being terrible, and not much happening. Is the uncut version any improvement?

2) I've never seen PART 3. Opinions, please. Worth watching...?

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
Lets see. My opinions only, so I wont speak for everyone.

Part 2: I think is still pretty bad. Always kind of did. Terry O'Quinn is still ok in the roll, but he even seems to be missing something. A good share of fans of the series like Part 2. Those who do in general will tell you it was just ok. I dont like it.

Part 3: Wow. This movie was terrible. You have a new actor in the role who basically just tries to clone and falls flat. Bad actor. Some of it is so ridiculous that you cant help but laugh. Like he buries a victim in a flower garden. He's out back chopping wood like some madman, then gives off these ridiculous waves and smiles to the kid who sees him. Movie is pretty violent. Probably the most violent I would say, although I never saw Part 2 uncut. Your share of squirts here and there. The rake stands out. The movie is cheese. It also stars Prisilla Barnes (Terri) from Threes Company. This movie was a made for HBO movie originally. I remember it was on HBO and then hit video many months later. Was never theatrical if I recall. From 1992. Very poor ending to a trilogy never meant to be a trilogy IMO.

I mean he died in the first movie. It was meant to be a stand alone. Then, he dies again in the second movie. Again, meant to be the last. Here, lets say. He aint coming back.

As all movies, you would have to judge for yourself. A few like 3 better than 2.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Have done a HTF thread search for the third Stepfather film, and found this thread which is about the Stepfather trilogy.

I didn't think Stepfather III (1992) was available on DVD (in recent years the first film has been released on Region 1 by Shout! Factory, and Stepfather II was released by Synapse Films).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks