What's new

The Simpsons - 05/16/04 (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Got to agree. The blatantly left-wing politics of the episode (with only the occassional crack to smooth rifled conservative feather) pulled me out of whatever humor it tried to build towards.

I did like Homer's comments to the French and the critique of cable news commentators. The latter was spot on.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Of course it is, and I'm one of the staunchest Simpsons supporters out there when many people critcize it for not being as good as its prime anymore. But as I said, I think that even for satire, some of the ideas in this episode are a bit absurd. I know the turnaround for an episode is 9 months, but the ideas shown in this episode is no longer representative of today's political climate. The idea of the left being so oppressed, I don't think is true either aside from a few examples media companies opting not to run or release clearly controversial material. Michael Moore and Bill Clinton in jail for their beliefs? Moore, although he has his detractors, seems to have made a very decent living for himself off of his politically sided books and documentaries. Bill Clinton will go down as one of the most popular presidents in American History even though he committed perjury. Hardly seems like oppression to me. I know it's satire, but much of it was not all that funny to me because the "Truth" it is based off of, I think is very thin.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Jesse,

Your "they don't take it seriously" argument is flawed, seeing how they teach courses on this show in accredited colleges. Therefore, some people must take it seriously.

A satirist is still responsible for the content he puts out, as is any artist. Just saying "it's satire" is a cop-out and no excuse for hypocrisy or moral corruption. If the right gets no free rides herein, the left should not either. It may be satire, but it is horrible satire.

The real problem is the fact that they judge everyone by the actions of a small few. And the thing with the Arabs praising the family was a perfunctory, throw-away gag, as was Lisa's comments "America has its grandeur, and its follies..."

On a personal note, I really hate seeing the words "flag-waving" juxtaposed with "racist" or "sexist" or other forms of hate. It seems to be a circular argument that because some bigots wave the flag, everyone who waves the flag is a bigot. It holds no water. When I go to other countries, I am polite to the people who live there. I try to tolerate people who are different, but I believe that tolerance is a two-way street.

Now that I heard through the IMDb they will be having the entire "Friends" cast as guest stars, I will definitely never watch them again. The show is dead to me. My Sunday nights are free. Fox can go air filler for all I care. I lived with the N'Sync and Britney Spheres guest shots, and Michael Moore, and Simon Cowell, and the Olsen Twins, and 2 "Friends" cast members individually, but with last night's unmitigated fiasco and now this, it's over. The show ends here as far as I'm concerned. I can't wait until Family Guy comes back.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Aside from the difference between perjury in a moral battle (although still illegal) and erosion of 1st Amendment rights, 9 months ago the media seemed to be a little cowed by events. Then again, this was before Clarke's testimony, the outing of Valerie Plame being confirmed as a poltical move, and the Abu Ghraib pictures. Had that climate still existed, this episode would have seemed much darker in its humor. Perhaps we would have laughed a little less.

Did you not get the whole point of the talk-show segment? That was an indictment of just how free a ride has gotten so far. Anyhoo, if you think the "Simpsons" cast and crew is hypocritical and morally corrupt for making fun of the political climate--on both sides--then perhaps you need to step back and examine the world from a more neutral perspective.

MikeMcNertney

Stunt Coordinator

It wasn't just about patriotism. It was about the political climate in which anyone who disagreed with the President after 9/11 was labeled "unpatriotic" or "unamerican" and made a pariah. This happened, and satirizing it is a perfectly valid thing to do.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

What a great term, because it is, by it's nature, without a real plausable definition. It's kinda like satire, or patriotism, people can bend it all will to suit their point of view.

Kinda like "warm" or "punchy" with audio.

IF the simpsons is "morally corrupt" for satiring the political climate, count me in! Fun, fun, fun.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I look at things from an OBJECTIVE perspective. I consider this country to be OBJECTIVELY great, and its enemies OBJECTIVELY worthy of contempt.

This so-called "witch hunt" is a big smelly RED HERRING, something the media exaggerated way out of proportion. Why doesn't the fact that we were attacked even come into the equation?

Frankly, I agree that some, but not all, of these people are UnAmerican. Do you not believe that a line needs to be drawn somewhere?

Anyone who kicks a nation and a people when it is down deserves to be a pariah.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Vince, "morally corrupt" to me means they are promoting ideas that may be dangerous in practice. Under U.S. law they are free to, but they must be responsible for the consequences.

There is nothing reactionary about loving your country. I think it's about time people stood up and said we (people who love this country) are not going to be bullied, patronized or made to look stupid.

I am surprised by how you can defend this garbage! There is absolutely no humor involved.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
If the Simpsons had spoofes patriotic zealotry right after 9-11, they'd have been stripped from the air.

Actually, that is the basis of a lot of comedy. It plays with stereotypes.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
A certain type of American? You mean a straw man, don't you. These are straw men that are set up just so they can be attacked.

I do not view Homer as a model citizen. But I believe the writers consider Homer an "average American." They believe that he really reflects what America is like. They believe Springfield is really what small-town America is like. Maybe I am wrong but this is my observation from watching every episode to date.

Well, I used a dictionary definition simply for reference. But my point remains the same.

Moderators, I would like to publicly request this thread be closed.

And yes, I will report all posts that insult me in any way.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
You have been doing nothing but stirring up the trouble. If you don't like it, why not let the others discuss it without having the thread closed?

Remember, it's a "cartoon" :)

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
A) No one's insulted you as far as I can tell. You have been urged to calm down a little. Tattling to the admins is not the way to have a sensical discussion.

B) You are not a moderator, and until you became so agitated, this thread was mostly mockingly funny with a tinge of regret. You have no right to threaten to have it shut down based mostly on your actions.

C) It's just a cartoon. The TV has a variety of buttons that can shift your viewing to other items that don't get you all riled up. Use them before the FCC mandates otherwise.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I resent being accused of "stirring up the trouble" when we are discussing the issues which need to be discussed. We cannot discuss this episode without discussing the issues within, or the discussion is completely empty.

I hated this episode not because it brought up issues and took a position other than mine. I hated it because I found it mean-spirited. I am not trying to start a fight. I refuse to call anyone a name other than the one their parents gave them or question their loyalty to the U.S.A.

But I do not like the attitude of some of the posts towards me, personally. I did not attack any of you personally, and, not to beat a dead horse (too late), I won't. All I want is for this discussion to remain civil, honest, and not degenerate into smugness or out-and-out vitriol.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben

Of which I see none in this thread. I do see a lot of political rhetoric that goes far beyond what's appropriate in discussing the episode -- and most of it's from you. The thread won't be closed (at least at this point), but I think you should bow out of it. And everyone else should move on.

M.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I guess I will move on. To other threads, and to any other show but The Simpsons or any other show I believes mocks my values. And every single one of you has made me even more confirmed in my beliefs. Thank you tremendously.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Exactly, but my critisism is that this moment in American history has passed. They are tying to be topical on a concept that is already dated. If that is what they want to do, fine, but that is my reasoning for it being a weaker episode. That and also I thought was a highly exaggerated (past plain satrical) view of the plight of the left wing. When it showed prominient liberals in prison, it was a bit groan inducing for me.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

It was only last year The Dixie Chicks were baned from the airwaves for speaking their minds. Only a few weeks ago that Sinclair Broadcasting refused to air an episode of Nightline that it claimed was "unpatriotic," that simply didn't fit in with Sinclair's political agenda. Only 10 days ago that the Disney Corp. told Miramax not to distribute the new Michael Moore film, which is critical of the current administration.

The episode is very topical. Arguably the most relevant episode The Simpsons has ever aired.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks