What's new

The Simpsons - 05/16/04 (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee

If an episode truly takes nine months to produce, then that was spun in the promo/ad dept at Fox.

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
The Simpsons make it their goal to offend every group, belief, if they didn't no one would talk about them. But they don't cross the line. Unless South Park, they are a family show and have to show some restraint by being that way. It doesn't matter, left or right, both are open target for ridicule. The Simpsons haven't said anything that hasn't been already said, they just being satirical. Like a show once said,"They say what we are thinking"

WillG

Senior HTF Member

The trouble with this episode was that it seemed so blatanly leftist. How could they be "Saying what we're thinking" it seems more like "Saying what they're thinking"
To me The Simpsons works best when they don't try to tackle an issue. It's best when there is a character based story with satire sprinkled throughout and not necessairly a satire on a big issue. I think it works best when the subjects up for satire are based on opinions that are more universal and issues that remain constant. For example, just off the top of my head, the episode where Skinner is fired as Principal and Flanders takes over. Chalmers seees the school has gone to hell, but cares little until Flanders "Thanks the Lord for another glorious school day" to which Chalmers finally reacts. It's a satire on the extreme Theophobia within public schools which has been something that has been obsessed over by people for years, it's constant. And even if you don't agree, it was just one joke in a character driven episode.

That's just my opinion though. But I'll still trust "South Park" to handle current topical humor with more competance that The Simpsons.

Daniel DeLawter

Stunt Coordinator
I didn't like the overall tone of the show, as a proud conservative who hates being accused of infringing on other peoples rights (read: feelings) while simply voicing my own opinions.

Freedom of Speech goes both ways, there is no such thing as Freedom from being disagreed with. (or dismissed)

If you hate current American policy, shout it as loud as you want, but don't be suprised/shocked if a whole lot of people shout back that you're being unpatriotic.

Its when either side is carted off to jail

But who cares, this is The Simpsons - I still would've loved the episode if it had actually been funny.

The timing was off on most every single joke.

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
Not sure if the Simpsons writers do leftist views all the time. Flanders has led a conservative religious life, and he is more successful, has a better home and kids who don't get into trouble. Don't you think that's saying Homer's life is not as good and he represents the opposite? They have poked fun at the church in Springfield, but hasn't it always come back in the end on the good side? Didn't they promote gun ownership and safe use of them? Homer was a walking disaster with guns but the rest of town trumpeted safe use of them, not banning of them.
IMO, they hit both sides of the fence when it comes to scripts, but mainly they take on open targets, so whichever side is a sitting duck, they take aim. Look how much they bashed Clinton ("well, I was a pretty awful president..."), his comments when he danced with Marge, they poked at Al Gore that no one except Lisa bought his book.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Anthony, while I agree with everything you said, I think there was something more to this episode. When they take small pop shots at political humor, we pass it off as a cute joke that is nothing more than a funny view on politics, but this type of episode seemed like it was written for the sole purpose of making a political statement. And since it was so one sided, the reaction is going to be larger than anything they've done before.

paul_goz

Agent
I find it very funny that the people with an obvious bias to the left complain that the Simpson's are a tool for Murdoch, while the people on the right post how the Simpson's are so popular that they can slam the right and get away with it.

People just see what they want to see.

I personally feel the Simpson's skewer both ideologies equally, and I'm a Republican.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member

No, I think they complain that Fox as a whole is a "tool" for Murdoch, who is able to profit by catering to the right. However, none of this applies to comedies and network shows. He does own plenty of news outlets, however.

Dave Gorman

Supporting Actor
My sentiments exactly. I loved the "Temporary Deafness Weekly" bit, and I think that may have been the only laugh I had the entire episode.

I think there has only been one episode this season that I thought was good throughout, and I can't even remember now what it was. This is making the slow death of X-Files seem pleasant in comparison!

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I've always thought that the first 5-10 minutes of every episode (i.e. the set-up part of the story) has been funnier than the "real" part of the story that follows. This has been especially true over the past 5 (or so) seasons.

Darren Haycock

Second Unit
I lost interest in this episode about half-way through, left it on, but got up and did other things. Not for any political reasons or anything, it just didn't really do much for me. Sometimes episodes are hit 'n miss. For me, this was a miss, no biggie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks