Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Title: The Prom

Genre: Musical Comedy

Director: Ryan Murphy

Cast: Meryl Streep, James Corden, Nicole Kidman, Andrew Rannells, Keegan-Michael Key, Kerry Washington, Ariana DeBose, Jo Ellen Pellman, Logan Riley Hassel, Sofia Deler, Nico Greetham, Nathaniel J. Potvin, Kevin Chamberlin, Vasthy Mompoint, Tracey Ullman, Sebastian Vale, Dominique Kelley, Riley Rydin, Sam Pillow

Release: 2020-12-11

Plot: Teenager Emma wants to bring her girlfriend Alyssa to her school's big dance. Instead, they're banned from attending as a couple, prompting a cast of Broadway eccentrics to descend on the teen's small-town home to help fight injustice.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
This is the adaptation of the unfortunately short-lived 2018 Broadway musical by Matthew Sklar, Chad Beguelin and Bob Martin. Ryan Murphy directs the film for Netflix and announced today on Instagram that it will be released in time for Christmas.

I absolutely love the cast album of this score and can't wait to see the film. It's kind of unfortunate that the roles were written specifically for the Broadway company and none of them were carried over to the film version, but it should still be excellent. If they all had to get replaced by movie stars, then certainly this roster of movie stars is a terrific lineup.

I don't know when it will be safe to go to a theater again, so this is my most anticipated movie for the rest of the year that I actually know I will be able to watch. Under normal circumstances, my arthouse would probably get it, since they screen a lot of Netflix titles, and I would have gone to it. But in this case I'm just happy to be able to see it at all without having to leave safety of my home. I won't have to worry about missing it, which is a concern for the films that remain on the theatrical schedule for the rest of the year.

For anyone interested, there is also a prose novelization of the show that came out last year, and the audiobook version of that is read by embers of the original cast.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Ryan Murphy has revealed the final release date on Twitter, and it's even earlier than the Christmas he previously hinted. The Prom will be released on Netflix on December 11. That's only 89 more days to wait. :)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
New trailer:

Note that the song choice used in this trailer is in fact the movie's finale. I would have preferred to hear that for the first time in the context of the film itself, but the trailer still looks great.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Broadway.com interviewed Jo Ellen Pellman (Emma), the protagonist of the movie.

It drops on Netflix tomorrow. I'm planning to stay up until midnight for it if I can.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I agree. I actually stayed up until 1am on Friday to watch this as soon as it dropped. It's not perfect, but it succeeds perfectly in being a joy machine, so it is very easy to overlook the imperfections.

Jo Ellen Pellman as Emma is a real find.

I'm sure I'll watch this on Netflix regularly. But I also wish they would allow it to have a Blu-ray release after an exclusive window. Because it isn't an awards bait movie from a marquee director, I'm guessing that won't be the case.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Here is a really good interview with Ariana DeBose (Alyssa.)

And with Andrew Rannells (Trent):

Last edited:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I watched the Rannells interview last night as I was scanning YouTube for interesting content. Thanks for posting the other one. I agree. I'd buy a Blu-ray of The Prom were it available.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
I knew NOTHING about the B'way show (in fact, when I heard this was coming to Netflix I just thought Murphy is trying to hit lightning a second time with a Glee rip-off). Now I want to see it! No, it's not perfect. But it's fun, with some great songs and a good (if somewhat obvious) story. I just checked out a couple clips of the original cast on the Tonys. DEFINITELY on my list of shows to see when things reopen!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I knew NOTHING about the B'way show (in fact, when I heard this was coming to Netflix I just thought Murphy is trying to hit lightning a second time with a Glee rip-off). Now I want to see it! No, it's not perfect. But it's fun, with some great songs and a good (if somewhat obvious) story. I just checked out a couple clips of the original cast on the Tonys. DEFINITELY on my list of shows to see when things reopen!
You'll have to see a tour or a regional production. The Broadway production closed before the production of the film commenced. I assume the film sale put the show into the black, but I'm not sure about that. It ran about a year.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
A real movie musical with actors who can actually sing big and well (no Russell Crowes or Pierce Brosnans here), and a first-rate production with all the stops pulled out. Enjoyable popcorn entertainment.
I haven’t watched the movie but, based on your comment about no Crowes or Brosnans, I’m guessing Streep isn’t in it much because she can’t sing. I don’t understand why she keeps getting cast in musicals Because she either ends up kind of “talk” singing (like Into the Woods) or they use auto-tune to try and make her sound good. I have not been impressed with her singing ability in anything up to this point and I don’t expect that to change in The Prom.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
You'll have to see a tour or a regional production.

At the time of the Broadway closure, a tour was scheduled to go out in 2021. I think the producers aimed for that because they wanted the movie to come out first. Obviously, everything is in flux now because of the virus, so it would not surprise me to see the tour delayed or cancelled by the time the touring market comes out of this. I would absolutely love to see it if the tour materializes though.

I think the show closed before it deserved to, but at least they got to have a closing performance that they knew was closing. If somehow they had continued until the Broadway shutdown, they almost certainly would not have been able to come back from it. Frozen, which was a much bigger draw, closed on the day of the shutdown assuming they would be back and then Disney decided that the economics of Broadway's return could not support three Disney shows at once. So Frozen's final performance before the shutdown became the final performance unfortunately.

I assume the film sale put the show into the black, but I'm not sure about that.

The Broadway production itself closed at a loss unfortunately. I'm sure Murphy compensated the creators well for the film rights, but I think that was a separate deal.

based on your comment about no Crowes or Brosnans, I’m guessing Streep isn’t in it much because she can’t sing.

She is one of the leads and sings a lot. If you don't like her singing, the film might not be for you.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I haven’t watched the movie but, based on your comment about no Crowes or Brosnans, I’m guessing Streep isn’t in it much because she can’t sing. I don’t understand why she keeps getting cast in musicals Because she either ends up kind of “talk” singing (like Into the Woods) or they use auto-tune to try and make her sound good. I have not been impressed with her singing ability in anything up to this point and I don’t expect that to change in The Prom.
We'll have to agree to disagree about her singing. I think she's GREAT in Into the Woods (she talks what is intended to be rapped and sings "Stay with Me" and "Last Midnight" with great power and feeling), and I love her closing song in Postcards from the Edge.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks