What's new

Netflix The Prom (2020) (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Anyone who liked the movie might want to read the novelization of the show by Saundra Mitchell.

Although I am a big fan of the cast album and the movie, I do think it is a little problematic that we get so little of Emma and Alyssa's story in those because the time is split between them and the Broadway actors. Netflix recently posted a YouTube video of all the scenes involving Emma and Alyssa together and it was about 12:40 in length. This leaves a lot on the table with regard to their relationship. Because Emma's exclusion from the prom is the inciting incident, it follows that she should be the protagonist. But the movie doesn't seem to know whether her story is paramount or whether it wants to focus on Dee Dee or Barry.

Then novelization was created as a tie-in for the Broadway show. Unfortunately, the show had closed between the time the book was announced and when it was published, so it couldn't help promote the show as much as they would have liked. But I still think it is a really good read for fans. It is told in from the points of view of Emma and Alyssa in alternating chapters, which allows for a lot more focus on what is going on with them throughout the story. Although the stories of the adults are still in the book, it makes them more supporting because the scenes in which the adults appear, but the kids do not appear, are alluded to instead of shown. I think this gives a much more well-rounded story and makes Alyssa in particular a much more active participant than her limited screen time within the movie allows. I'm a big fan of both Arianna DeBoe and Isabelle MaCalla (who originated the role of Alyssa on stage after playing Jasmine in the national tour of Aladdin which I saw. They do a great job with the material they are given. But it's not a lot. So if you want more of these two characters and their perspectives, the book helps with that considerably.

Of course, the existence of the novel does not actually fix the issues with how it is presented in the movie because you shouldn't have to go to a novelization for more information. But if you want more, it's there and it's really good.

I'm not sure if my link will get HTF a kickback or not as the ones that @Ronald Epstein posts in the Blu-ray forum do. So you might want to go through an HTF link if you're actually going to make the purchase. But there's what you would be looking for if anyone here is interested in getting it. (To Ron or any other moderator who might see this post, if you can edit the link to make sure HTF gets the referral, by all means go right ahead and do that.)

Bonus: if you get the audiobook version of this, it is narrated by Caitlin Kinnunen (the original Broadway Emma) and Isabelle MaCalla.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Anyone who liked the movie might want to read the novelization of the show by Saundra Mitchell.

Although I am a big fan of the cast album and the movie, I do think it is a little problematic that we get so little of Emma and Alyssa's story in those because the time is split between them and the Broadway actors. Netflix recently posted a YouTube video of all the scenes involving Emma and Alyssa together and it was about 12:40 in length. This leaves a lot on the table with regard to their relationship. Because Emma's exclusion from the prom is the inciting incident, it follows that she should be the protagonist. But the movie doesn't seem to know whether her story is paramount or whether it wants to focus on Dee Dee or Barry.

Then novelization was created as a tie-in for the Broadway show. Unfortunately, the show had closed between the time the book was announced and when it was published, so it couldn't help promote the show as much as they would have liked. But I still think it is a really good read for fans. It is told in from the points of view of Emma and Alyssa in alternating chapters, which allows for a lot more focus on what is going on with them throughout the story. Although the stories of the adults are still in the book, it makes them more supporting because the scenes in which the adults appear, but the kids do not appear, are alluded to instead of shown. I think this gives a much more well-rounded story and makes Alyssa in particular a much more active participant than her limited screen time within the movie allows. I'm a big fan of both Arianna DeBoe and Isabelle MaCalla (who originated the role of Alyssa on stage after playing Jasmine in the national tour of Aladdin which I saw. They do a great job with the material they are given. But it's not a lot. So if you want more of these two characters and their perspectives, the book helps with that considerably.

Of course, the existence of the novel does not actually fix the issues with how it is presented in the movie because you shouldn't have to go to a novelization for more information. But if you want more, it's there and it's really good.

I'm not sure if my link will get HTF a kickback or not as the ones that @Ronald Epstein posts in the Blu-ray forum do. So you might want to go through an HTF link if you're actually going to make the purchase. But there's what you would be looking for if anyone here is interested in getting it. (To Ron or any other moderator who might see this post, if you can edit the link to make sure HTF gets the referral, by all means go right ahead and do that.)

Bonus: if you get the audiobook version of this, it is narrated by Caitlin Kinnunen (the original Broadway Emma) and Isabelle MaCalla.

Thanks for posting this! As soon as I finished the movie I put a hold on the original cast CD and saw the "novelization" listed. I think I'll have to check it out!

JoeStemme

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph
Ryan Murphy's adaptation of the stage play certainly goes big in the casting arena - locking down Meryl Streep, Nicole Kidman and James Corden (with supporting players including Kerry Washington, Keegan-Michael Key, Andrew Rannells, Tracey Ullman and Mary Kay Place). The production is loud and brassy and Murphy has Matthew Libatique's camera do veritable pirouettes. The effect of the star wattage and glitz somewhat blunts the effectiveness of the uplifting character at what should have been the core - an Indiana teenage girl named Emma (Jo Ellen Pellman) who simply wants to attend her High School Prom with her girlfriend (Ariana DeBose).

Fortunately, the uplifting message manages to shine through. Pellman is a winning heroine and you don't doubt Murphy's determination to bring it home, despite the miscalculations. Streep is in full prima donna mode which fits the character even she is a decade or more too old for the part (which, perversely, kinda works). Kidman is a good second banana and Corden and the rest of the adult cast do seem to be having fun with it all. Still, the movie works best when it focuses on the youth. The script, while skewering Streep et al. has a tendency to put down the local folks even if it's guised in song. The songs are quite variable in quality. The main tune, "I Just Want To Dance With You" is just fine (if over-used), but, some of the others are neither tuneful or very well performed.

THE PROM is a strange movie. At once well-intentioned and tone deaf. After all, it's like a big budget episode of Glee or High School Musical. But, it's entertaining and the message of inclusion and tolerance is worth sharing.

P.S. Interesting that the Streep (Dede Allen; spelled Dee Dee) and Kidman (Angie Dickinson) characters are named after Hollywood royalty. Allen was an Award winning Film Editor, and, well you all know who Dickinson is!There's also a name drop of Tina Louise being "still alive" that is extra poignant now that Dawn Wells has passed on. Louise is now the only surviving Castaway.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks