What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

The Plot Against America (HBO) (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
David Simon adapts Philip Roth's novel, an alternate history where Charles Lindbergh's "America First" platform triumphs and he defeats FDR in the 1940 election, riding a wave of strong isolationist feeling in country.

President Lindbergh sides with strongmen over America's traditional allies internationally, while things take a decidedly fascist turn domestically as the politics of tribalism and racial grievance achieve ascendancy.

Trailer:

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Reminds me of the excellent PBS American Experience episode "Lindbergh" (1990) which talked about his isolationist views at that time.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Sounds like another uplifting, happy-go-lucky bit of froth from David Simon*. :D

(*A man who seemed pained when I mentioned a line of dialogue of his I loved at a book signing once. Don’t say nice things to his face!)

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Grim, but good show so far imho. Excellent production design. Fine cast. Quality throughout. Thought provoking too.

John Lee_275604

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Lee
I've been searching my recollections for what exactly the father Herman reminds me of. It's not so much that he's wrong about things, as he's so passionate and confrontational that he grinds even his sympathizers down and ultimately works counter to his aims.

And I think I've got it, reminds me of when Stan's dad on South Park kept getting arrested and making a scene shouting 'What? I thought this was America!!'

It's almost like they took a stock character foil for Archie Bunker and transplanted him into a realistic 1940s nearby Jersey suburb.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I just started watching this. Only one episode in, but I can’t believe it only has 11 posts.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I just started watching this. Only one episode in, but I can’t believe it only has 11 posts.
I planned on watching it after David Simon's truly excellent series We Own This City, back in 2022, but I just plain forgot. Thanks for the reminder--going to dig in next week.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Two episodes in, and it’s intriguing. However, since it’s speculative fiction, and highly political, I’m not sure how successfully it can be discussed within forum rules. I think I’ll just watch it and make more general comments.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I read the book when it came out and loved it. I’ve been meaning to watch the show but never got around to it. It’s been saved in my HBO list forever. I guess I’m reluctant to see a favorite book adapted in case I don’t like the results. I’d probably have seen it by now if there was a blu-ray release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prexhobby
Recent bookmarks