1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

***The Official Omnibus Consolidated IS WARNER ABANDONING SNAPPER CASES? Thread***

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jeff Kleist, Mar 10, 2003.

1. John Stone

John Stone Supporting Actor

2. Bill J

Bill J Producer

3. James L White

James L White Supporting Actor

4. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Bye bye Snappers [​IMG]

5. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Producer

Brian
    I prefer snapper cases.

6. Tom Tsai

Tom Tsai Supporting Actor

I don't mind snappers either. They still better than a lot of cheaply produced keepcases out there.

7. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons

8. Josh Sieg

Josh Sieg Second Unit

One reason I hate snappers is it seems when DVDs were first made, movies were just thrown on a DVD without extras. I.E. Batman. They're just a constant reminder to me about the way DVD used to be.

9. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

The snapper cases are manufactured by Ivy Hill, still owned by WB. The Cinram deal is for CD manufacturing and distribution only. Until WB sells Ivy Hill, snappers are probably here to stay. Rumor is that they eventually will sell the company, but I'd suspect even then that a long-term deal would remain for Ivy Hills new owners to supply snappers to WB. Hey folks, on the shelf who cares whether they're snappers, hard cases, triple fold, or whatever. I spend time watching the movie not looking at the boxes! [​IMG]

10. Bryant Frazer

Bryant Frazer Stunt Coordinator

No, Ivy Hill was purchased by Cinram as part of a package with WEA Manufacturing. My guess is the new six-year contract with Warner Home Video includes printing and packaging by Ivy Hill — thus ensuring a continued cash flow for this part of the business — but I'm not sure.

-bf-

11. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

Oh, didnt know that. I suspect you're right. Ivy Hill needs that part of the business (along with their other package printing). Thanks for the info.

12. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

all I care is how the dvd movie is, whether it is in a snapper or not is not that important

[​IMG]

13. GarySchrock

GarySchrock Second Unit

In my opinion the one redeeming quality of the snapper is that it by far has the most superior hub. It's the one case style that I can be sure holds the disc securely, and yet yields it without a fight when I want to take the disc out. The rest of the case sucks. Give me a keepcase with that hub and I'd be a happy man.

14. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

I'm sure they could create a new thinpack using the snapper hub and make everyone happy

15. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

The one thing that I really hate about the snappers is not really about the case it self, but those "security" stickers tend to tear off pieces of the cover once in a while and that kind pisses me off. It happened with my Gremlins snapper and now the s in Gremlins is missing a small bit! [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. DaveBB

DaveBB Supporting Actor

According to this info from thedigitalbits.com "Matrix Reloaded" will come in an Amray case.

DIE SNAPPER! DIE[​IMG]

17. William Waits

William Waits Stunt Coordinator

It is utterly amazing that Warner Brothers would have such discontent for its customers, but they show it time and time again.

Let's review the facts:

1) Warner themselves in interviews have indicated that they receive "their fair share" of complaints about snapper cases. (I don't have any URLs offhand, but a quick search on the Internet ought to find some...)

2) Columbia (I think it was them) received numerous complaints when it went in a co-sponsored boxed set of I think Stanley Kubrick films and they relented to use the snapper cases that Warner insisted on.

3) As far as "outsiders" go, Image has dumped snappers.

4) Also, Goodtimes has dumped snappers.

5) WB's parent, AOL WILL NOT use them.

6) WB's sister company New Line Cinema has dumped them.

7) WB's sister company HBO refuses to snappers infect their wares.

8) WB's distribution deal with the BBC has yet to yield a single snapper. I bet it is because they won't let it happen.

9) Austrailia went into such a uproar about snappers, that WB switched to keep-sake cases and offered free inserts for previous snapper-buyers who wanted to get replacement artwork so that they could get keep-sake cases. (I would LOVE for that to happen here, but Hell would have to freeze over a million times before THAT happens here in the states!)

10) Over half, if not most artworks that are downloaded or bought to be printed are snapper replacement artworks.

Snappers are an infection upon DVD-land. It is utterly amazing that WB would continuously agitate customers like that. Poor marketing, poor research, and a not caring attitude. Goes well with their image...

Bill

18. StevenW

StevenW Second Unit

19. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

My main complaint with snappers is that they damage more easily than keepcases. That includes the hub.

20. Frank Anderson

Frank Anderson Cinematographer

I will agree it's more important what's inside the case. That being said when, you're not watching the disc it has to be stored some place. Generally on a shelf. That's where I have a problem with snappers. Therefore, I have lovingly reproduced ALL snapper artwork for keepcases. Right now I estimate that number is around 400. Over 1100 DVD's on 17 44 inch shelves with another 13 shelves waiting to be used. NOT ONE DAMN SNAPPER on any of them. They look awesome sitting there all together without odd size cases sticking out. Technically you could say I don't have a problem with them cause all my snappers are in boxes in a closet.

[​IMG]