What's new

The official Firefox 1.0 is out. (1 Viewer)

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
Firefox - Rediscover the Web

Firefox 1.04 Release Notes
Firefox Help

Direct Download Page (for Windows, all builds are further down) or you can use one of the many official Mozilla Mirrors that span the globe.

Themes
Official Extension List | Unofficial Extension List | The official extensions site currently has 289 extensions listed. The unofficial list has 620+, so use the unofficial site if you want a better list.

Firefox 1.0 is out! Since Firefox has been out for over a week now, their site has returned to normal, so you can download it either at the main site, or you can go directly into the Firefox1.0 directory via the Direct Download linked above. They also have torrent files up on that page as well.

On another note, if you are interested in upgrading to 1.0 from an earlier version, and you have extensions, you'll need to update since it looks like they aren't usable in this 1.0 version. You'll have to check one of the lists provided above to see if the makers of the extensions have made versions compatible with 1.0 and then download them. Again, I suggest using the unofficial list.

NOTE: When installing, it is recommended that you back up your old profile. To get access to your profile in WinXP, go into the C:/Documents and Settings/User Name/Application Data/Mozilla. I haven't experienced any problems like I did when upgrading earlier versions, but I backed it up just in case.

Have fun.

Edit: The Mozilla folks have just released a newer version with a set of security patches (including a fix for the IDN issue that made the news). Any browsers built/released before February 24th are in danger. To find out when your browswer was built, go to The Help:About part of Firefox. This new version is entitled Firefox 1.0.1. It has patched 10+ security flaws found in the browser since the 1.0 release in November. If you want the official list of fixes, go to this site. An unofficial list can be found here: squarefree.com

Edit: Firefox 1.0.2 has been released. Any version of Firefox that is dated before Martch 17th should update to this new version. To paraphrase the Firefox 1.0.2 Release Notes:

Firefox 1.0.2 is a security and stability update that is part of our ongoing program to provide a safe Internet experience for our customers. We recommend that all users upgrade to this latest version. Here's what's new in Firefox 1.0.2: Several security fixes, better drag and drop capabilites (both within the browser and to and from other applications), lock icon state fixed when navigating to named anchors in secure pages & bookmarked pages in the sidebar.
The unofficial changelog can be found at squarefree

It should also be noted that only installer builds of Firefox are being issued for this (and all future?) release. Since some people have accidentally downloaded the zip files and caused a world of problems for themselves, the Mozilla team has decided to stop producing zips for the releases.

(Apr 16) Edit: Firefox 1.0.3 is now officially out. This time, they have not only done several security fixes, (including this memory exposure leak) they have also updated the installer. You no longer need to delete the old Firefox before updating anymore. When you install Firefox 1.0.3, simply download the file, then install it. If this is what you have been doing all along, then this install file should get rid of the Firefox 1.0, 1.0.1, & 1.0.2 in your Add/Remove programs settings.

(May 12) Edit: Firefox 1.0.4 is now available for download. This is a security update, with the most important patch being a fix in the "Code execution via javascript: IconURL." The official vulnerablities can be found here. It also fixed a regression in the 1.0.3 realease with DHTML errors occuring while viewing certain websites. Please download this newest version to keep your browser updated with the latest & greatest security.

(Jul 12) Edit: Firefox 1.0.5 is now available for download. This is another security update, also containing some stability updates as well.

SteveK

Supporting Actor
Greg - I have the "pre-release" version of 1.0 which I downloaded a few weeks ago. What differences, if any, are there between that version and this official 1.0? I figure I can wait a few weeks before I download the offiical version since I'm doing fine with what I already have, but I might not bother at all if there are few differences. Thanks for any comments.

Steve K.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
even faster if using the .torrent :)

Also puts less strain on their servers

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
Steve,
As long as you have a version made on/after October 1, you are ok. To check the date your version was made just go to Help->About and see the date that is posted there. The versions made prior to October 1 had a security flaw in them. Your version should say something like "Gecko/20041001 Firefox/0.10.1" As long as it was made after 2004/10/01, it should have that ".1" at the end. And if it does, then don't worry about it.

The Pre-Release you have has the same exact features as the one people are downloading today. They haven't added any new features, they've just been getting rid of as many bugs as possible. Truth be told, I think the PR has a couple tab features that have been hidden on the version people are downloading today. They have become hidden because some people were experiencing problems with the features.

I found on Mozilla's site "Branch Fixes since FF1.0PR 20040915 = 353." This means they fixed 353 things since the PR was released. That may seem like a lot, but keep in mind things like "Change version to 1.0 Final" would be considered a fix. I couldn't find the exact list of fixed bugs on the official site, but for more about the bugs fixed, you can check out this link here: Unofficial Changelog. If you're happy with the PR, I'd say stick with it for a few days, especially if you are a big fan of extensions. I'm guessing within the next week, the extension list for the 1.0 Final will be pretty complete.

I just got back from a class, and my Torrent upload/download ratio is already over 1100% for both the zip file and the installer. It's good to see bit torrent being used for good once in a while. ;)

SteveK

Supporting Actor
Thanks, Greg, I'll have to check when I get home. I'm almost certain that I downloaded it after 10/1, but I'll verify to be absolutely certain. I'm pleased with Firefox so far, and I see no reason to return to IE (although I never really had any big problems with IE). The tabbed browsing is quite convenient.

Thanks again.
Steve K.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
Firefox is a decent browser, but it has too many quirks for my taste. I'm glad the guys are working hard on it, and I do hope they can eventually stabalize it enough for me to use it on an everyday basis. I do like the tabs, and the pop-up blocker is pretty good too. But it takes too long to open windows, and sometimes hangs too. I'll try it and see if it's any better on my new system once I get it built. But if not, I'll be using IE for a while. The only problems I really had with Firefox was the memory usage, and the way it wouldn't open some links for some reason. I never did figure out why. Oh and also the bookmark manager is terrible. I know there's a plugin, but it shouldn't be required.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I haven't had a problem with Firefox except one...and that was quickly solved by exploring their Q&A boards.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
All browsers take longer than IE to open windows. IE is built into Windows.

Right now, I only ue IE with 2 sites I visit. I use Firefox everywhere else. Much better browser.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
I don't care WHY it's faster, I just care that it's faster. And I hear Opera is much faster than Firefox, and it's not built into the OS any more than Firefox is.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
I've noticed that firefox takes a little longer to start the first time, but once it's open new tabs/windows are almost instantaneous (at least as fast as in IE).

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
Latest Version of MyDoom Exploits New IE Flaw The hole was discovered last Tursday, and the virus came out Monday. Microsoft was supposed to come out with security updates yesterday, but I guess they're waiting a day or two so they can get a patch for this included.

It would take a rather large idiot to get this virus... you have to click on a link in an email saying that you've won money. And if you have SP2, your chances of getting infectected are much smaller. But this is one of the main reasons why I don't use IE anymore. The fact that it is integrated into the OS not only makes it faster in loading, it also makes IE and Windows much more vulnerable to security holes.

Opera is faster in loading as well because Firefox uses XUL and JavaScript for it's UI. This makes it accessible across different platforms, but it also makes it slower because it doesn't use the native UI. Opera would be more comparable to the Mozilla Suite though, and the main difference between the 2 is that Opera isn't free. They have a free version, but it has a banner ad that runs across the top of it. Don't get me wrong, Firefox and the Mozilla Suite have some major annoyances (to name two, the memory leaks being discussed in the other thread, and who wouldn't want "undo closetab" to be a normal option?), but Opera has some problems as well. It all comes down to personal preference.

To get back on topic, has anyone been able to access the extension/theme pages the past 2 days? I haven't been able to at all. In the first post, I also put a mirror link up to another site that has a much better/more comprehensive list of the extensions available for 1.0. I myself have used that guys list more often then the official one for prior releases. Of course, it seems everyone has caught on to how good he is, so that site is also overloaded at the moment.

And I'm proud to announce both my .torrents are now over 2300%! Woo Hoo!

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
If you're reasonably new to firefox, check out this article on some great FF extensions.

I really like the TargetAlert extension. It puts a little icon next to links that aren't straight HTML (.doc, .pdf etc) as well as links that will open in another window (so you can choose to open them in a new tab instead).

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
In regards to speed issues, it's negligble on both my work (P4 2.4) and home (Athlon64 3200+). Admittedly, they're both pretty fast, but if you've got a computer made in the last two years or so, there should be little or no difference in loading times.

Another reason I've been using Firefox is the difference in spyware and viruses. A co-worker who'd been using IE exclusively and I did a check with Ad-Aware on my previous work computer: I had 10 pieces of spyware, he had almost 200. As a result, my old PC (a P3 500) was running almost smoother than his 2.4. Tons less popups and ads too, with extensions. And tabbed browsing is the only way I can browse now. IE just grates on me. I fully expect to see many of the features Mozilla/Firefox be slowly integrated into IE. IMO, though, it'll still be bloated code with horrible security flaws, negligible technical support, and slow upgrade path. It does have a superb business model behind it, but that's about it.

Patrick_L

Second Unit

twenty bucks says you know at least one person like that. they just wouldn't admit that they did it.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
The site currently only shows 77 extensions for the new version of Firefox. Should one wait for all the old extensions to be approved, or should one delve into them now?

I miss the Tab Browser Extensions...

Patrick_L

Second Unit
wait if you absolutely cannot stand not having all of your extensions. i've got my laptop with the previous FF version on it and keep going back to it. won't be long now though *crosses fingers*

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
Tab Browser Extensions

That version of TBE is supposed to work with 1.0. I don't use that extension, so I can't confirm it for you. The "Official Extension Page" is apparently a pain in the butt to get stuff approved with. Since that is the only site that is automatically allowed by firefox to install programs on your PC, they require the extension makers to go through a laundry list of paperwork. But the extensionmirror.nl (the unofficial list in the first post) has a list of all the extensions that are all ready for 1.0. I'm not counting the list again, but it's now probably 200+ now.

And just to let you know, TBE will most likely never be on the Official Extension Page since it is no longer an "official extension." The developers of Firefox don't like the extension because "TBE overwrites system files with its own." I'm not sure if this is still true, but they still don't like it. I used to use it, but the extension is awfully big, and I didn't use all the options, so now I use 3 extensions (duplicate tab, undo close tab, & miniT) that do all the functions I wanted out of the one huge TBE. Also, looking into the Tools>Options>Advanced>Tab Browsing section of Firefox, you'll see some old TBE features, like always showing the Tab Bar, have made their way into the 1.0 release of Firefox.

In any event, here is a link to Tab Browser Extensions home page. It's always best to go to the source to get the latest information.

Extensionmirror.nl also has a Tab-related Extesions list that can probably give you all the options TBE has. Most of the extension names are self explanatory, except a few like miniT, which allows you to drag the tabs into any order you want to on the Tabbar.

And if you are interested, here is a link to a firefox forum page explaining how to Rebuilding TBE's featureset with other plugins.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks