What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

The Office: Season Four (1 Viewer)

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
I got to thinking about the parts of the finale where Jim called Ryan to stand up for himself. The timing compared to Ryan's arrest seemed interesting. I could chalk Jim's actions up to adrenaline over deciding to pull the trigger on proposing to Pam, but it felt like more of a plot point. So, I'm curious if the writers are intending to heat up something between Ryan and Jim, with Ryan thinking that Jim turned him in?

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
I thought along similar lines, Derek, but I was wondering whether Jim had said anything that could be incriminating (or claimed to be incriminating by Ryan) that might get him in trouble later on.

And here we all thought Ryan was going down for drug use.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Except for maybe a cameo, I think Ryan is gone completely. I assumed they gave Ryan the promotion at the end of last season as a way to give B.J. Novak a break from acting and writing on the show and then they just wrote him out at the end of this year because it was hard writing Ryan in to most episodes. Or maybe Novak's heading over to the spinoff show and they want him to be free to concentrate all his energy on writing that.

IanDP

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian
It really struck me how completely INAPPROPRIATE that comment is, especially coming from HR (whose job it is to know what's appropriate in the office). That was our first clue that Holly will be no "regular" HR person, and that there is much more to come from this character. I love Amy Ryan and I'm really glad that her character will have this depth.

Also, did everyone notice how when Michael was with her, he pretty much acted like a normal guy (level headed, and not over the top or offensive). He may just owe that to his talks with Jim. Since it was only one day, as far as Holly knows, Michael is a genuinely sweet, funny regular dude (not the weird, selfish, child-like moron he sometimes is).
I'm glad that in this episode we got to see the Michael that we can care about, and sympathize with again, the likable guy who just wants to do the right thing. It really broke my heart to see Jan in the show again. I'm so tired of her character. She's like dead weight. Not funny at all.

John_Lee

Supporting Actor
[background]hike up your skirt a little more, and show your world to me[/bg]

Michael - Jim, I'm looking for some music that works on multiple levels. . .

Dave Ringkor

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dave Ringkor
I like the scene with Jim in Michael's office and the Dave Matthews song that John_Lee mentioned too:

MICHAEL: I've been downloading a lot of m3p's...

JIM: That's not it.

MICHAEL: ...to make Holly a mix tape CD.

JIM: Close.

Dave Ringkor

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dave Ringkor
And how validating must it have been for Michael when Holly reciprocated his Yoda joke with, "Hand me that curvy metal piece, you will." The look on Michael's face when she started playing his game with him was priceless.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
Oh, yeah, forgot one of the moments from the finale that stuck to me... they got Pam on camera saying something like "Oh, I always thought he was cute!" in reference to Toby. I suppose this must happen to a lot of guys - hearing that some unrequited crush called them cute, since it ended up in the show. Here's my message to people who say such things: NEVER tell anyone a guy you are not dating is CUTE. It's frustrating and annoying to hear this!

Okay, rant over. :D

EricW

Senior HTF Member
i've just gotten into the Office lately; i've watched bits of episodes over the years but it never really clicked for me. i remember actually watching the 1st season basketball episode when it first aired and not liking it; the Michael character reminded me of George Costanza at his worst. anyways, since i love 30 Rock, i started watching the last few minutes of Office before 30 Rock aired (kind of a reverse lead-in i suppose). i got used to the humour (and characters) and decided to give it a second chance.
holy crap, it's hilarious. i've watched the last 4 seasons in the last 2 weeks. with that kind of exposure i can say the writing's been pretty good all the way through.

also i don't like Toby leaving; the new character doesn't seem to have as much potential or originality. even though he didn't make that many appearances, every time he would show up it was gold. like Michael seeing him in the Finer Things Club ("i'm speechless") or in The Deposition, asking for an 11th copy and laughing at the Ryan thing.

i'm wondering if the show will create any obstacles for Jim & Pam now that they're finally together, unlike most sitcom pairings they don't have quirks or obvious personality disorders that will make for comic tension.

anyways, looking forward to getting these on Bluray someday. considering the cutting edge nature of this show's distribution, hopefully it will be soon.

"Mr. Scott, do you realize you just contradicted yourself. i did. yes you did. can i go to the bathroom. no. i really have to, i've been drinking lots of water. you went five minutes ago. that wasn't to go to the bathroom, that was to get out of a question. you still have to answer it. first can i go to the bathroom. no." (Michael looks at camera)

Paul D G

Screenwriter

Well, here's my prediction for next season - Pam goes away for the summer and, because Jim failed to propose when she expected him to she becomes unsure about where their relationship is heading and falls for the very Jim-looking guy from Pratt. She might even return and dump Jim.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trackername123
Recent bookmarks