What's new

The Office season 7 thread (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by joshEH

If it's this bad now with him, how can NBC bring it back once Carell leaves?

In terms of ratings, I'm pretty sure that it's NBC's biggest show (maybe one of the Law And Orders or a reality show does better?) so it's coming back even if they hire a whole new cast.

Personally, I don't think the show is as good as it used to be but I don't think it's gotten half as bad as many are making it out to be either.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Though I will admit that Oscar being known as "Actually" around the office made me laugh, partially because there's a guy at my firm who's guilty of pretty much exactly the same thing.

And Jim's line about Oscar fitting the stereotype of the "smug gay Mexican" gave me a chuckle.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by TravisR

Personally, I don't think the show is as good as it used to be but I don't think it's gotten half as bad as many are making it out to be either.

It isn't bad at all. It's just very mediocre. For a show that was once fresh, and well above average mediocre just doesn't cut it.

It really is a curse of great tv shows. When the expectations are high, you expect that same quality throughout the entire run of a the series.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I thought last week's episode was pretty good, even if the show has fallen from its highs of the earlier seasons. It's a great ensemble cast and I think they will have a shot at continuing when Carrell leaves. Of course, it could only be a one season thing, like That 70s Show when Topher Grace left.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
I thought this week's ep was pretty damn good as well.

They are so setting Darrell up to take over from Michael.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Tonight's hour long episode was the best in years. All story lines were firing on all cylinders, and all kept my interest. Michael's story line did a great job of showcasing why he'd be a nightmare to date or (God forbid) marry, while also showcasing the qualities in Michael that allow him to make Holly so happy -- and maybe, just maybe, steal her away from AJ.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
My DVR turned off just before the end of the show.

The last thing I saw was Jim whacking at the snowman heads in the parking lot with Dwight looking down from the roof. I assume there wasn't much more left?

It seemed odd to me that Jim didn't have the last laugh after Dwight was besting him for most of the episode.

I really liked Jim's reaction to Pam's gift in the "interview."

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon

The last thing I saw was Jim whacking at the snowman heads in the parking lot with Dwight looking down from the roof. I assume there wasn't much more left?

Yeah, that was basically the end. Dwight then talks to the camera while on the roof and says something to the effect of "Fear is the greatest snowball."

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
OK, I thought that was a pretty strong episode.
The stuff with Dwigt and Jim? Very, very good.

Jim and Pam's gift-giving? Moving. The scenes with Holly? Terrific. Erin's utterly-clueless comments about Holly? Hysterical. Oscar realizing that not only Horn-Rimmed Glasses State Senator, but also Ryan, might actually both be gay? Interesting. And Jim going through the snowman-battlefield? Pretty great. Jim can be just as big an asshole as anyone else in that building, and I love it when he gets his comeuppance, especially at the hands of Dwigt.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by joshEH

Oscar realizing that not only Horn-Rimmed Glasses State Senator, but also Ryan, might actually both be gay? Interesting.

I thought Oscar was just noticing that the state senator was staring at Ryan's ass (along with a funny "See!" look at the camera) rather than implying that Ryan might be gay.

As always, Amy Ryan as Holly adds so much to the show.

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
The hour-long was great. I have long since re-adjusted my expectations for this show - I think it's been a cartoon for about three years now - so I'll take what I can get. Jim's slow unraveling at Dwight's snowball terror campaign I found uncommonly hilarious, especially the back-lighted shot of Dwight on the roof as Jim fought his way through the army of snowmen. I mean, come on. For all of you who say that Jim has become a jerk over the past few years, this was a really humorous turnaround. And it's a chance for John Krazinski to stop playing it straight. (We also saw "Rattled Jim" during the birth episode last season, and I found it similarly refreshing.)

I like how they're handling the Micheal and Holly storyline a lot. They're getting humor miles out of it, but they're taking his heartbreak seriously, which I think is a good move. For a show which has squandered most of its romantic subplots, pairing off everyone in the office (pam's cousin/dwight, dwight/angela, angela/andy, andy/erin, erin/gabe)... see what I mean? We've been on "romantic subplot" overload for the past few years. And this is the only plot since the early days of Jim and Pam that feels like there's something really at stake.

I though it got off to a shaky start, but I've really enjoyed the show this season. Even last week's "China" I found to be an understated character-based gem, like something we might have seen in the early seasons.

It seems obvious they are grooming Daryl to be the next "boss" of the office. I say it SEEMS obvious, but nothing is certain yet.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Oh definitely -- it's pretty clear now that the way Carell is going to be exiting the show with Michael getting back together with Holly, and moving away. Set your watch to it. Though imagining the children those two would have together is kind of terrifying.
Every time Holly and Michael are together, and start doing weird impressions and making random noises at each other, I feel like I'm watching a couple of leather Muppets. They're totally perfect for each other in the most annoying way possible. And I LOVED seeing Jim look so shell-shocked and traumatized throughout the episode -- he definitely got what he deserved. Dwight has needed some good payback for awhile now. I've more or less always been on Jim's side during the series. But walking up to Dwight like that and throwing a snowball right into his face was a total dick move. Dwight having that rare victory at the end was deserved. Over the past season or so, Jim's advancement into adulthood and responsibility has seen him grow a bit smug and humorless, and so it was refreshing to see a vulnerable, somewhat-likeable Jim again. I wouldn't want Dwight to win ALL the time, but it's like with Wile E. Coyote and the Road Runner. At some point, you start to really pity the coyote, and wish he could just kill the damn bird already.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Thank goodness. FINALLY an episode I enjoyed thoroughly. Charming, funny, and well written. The Office has returned to form, and I can't wait to see what happens next.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Quick poll here - Did Jim like the gift or not?

It seemed quite clear to me that he loved it, but then my wife surprised me by saying "he didn't like it." After my what-the-hell-are-you-talking-about look I back-skipped to his reaction. He smiles and shakes his head. I could see how it could be interpreted as such, but it seemed to me, with all the criticism Pam was getting over it that it was being set up for him to love it.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I thought the idea was that as much as everyone else was critical of it, Jim was speechless in his appreciation.

I thought it was interesting that the idea seemed so cool until the office mates started picking it apart and made it look less interesting to the audience (it's not like their criticisms were unwarranted), at which point you weren't sure if Jim was going to like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks