What's new

the new Young Girls of Rochefort disc? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Wilson

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone have this yet, who can comment on the video quality? The French disc has a lot of shimmering on my Malata, and I'll gladly get this version if it looks better. Too bad Miramax wouldn't spring for the documentary on the French disc, though...

PatrickL

Deceased Member
Jeff, I can't answer your question - I held off buying this one awaiting a trustworthy review of the transfer. But can I ask you a question? Is the documentary on the French disc substantial, or is it featurette length?

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I wasn't happy with the quality of the French disk either, and don't blame the Malata as I watched it (several times) in native PAL. It is just a bad transfer.
The documentary, far from being a "featurette" is directed by an excellent filmmaker: Agnes Varda, who happens to be Demy's widow. See: Link Removed
Ted

Jeff Wilson

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, the documentary (The Girls at 25, if I recall), is a lengthy piece about the making of the film and the return of many of the principals to Rochefort for the 25th anniversary of the film. It includes rehearsal footage, interviews both new and old, and more. It was directed by Agnes Varda, Demy's wife, who led the restoration of the film.

This is the first I've ever heard of this documentary and I can't say I'm not a little disappointed it's not included on the DVD. No matter. I'll pick it up anyway. I happened to catch this during the rerelease a few years ago and absolutely loved it.

Jeff Wilson

Stunt Coordinator
Bumping, in the hopes that someone now has this. Miramax doesn't seem to want anyone to have this disc, though; neither Borders nor Amazon even have it in their system, and two other online vendors I checked don't have it in yet. This is really aggravating. Did it get delayed?

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I saw it at a local store. The back claims that it is 16:9 enhanced, no extras of any kind, French soundtrack w/subs only.

Ted

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
They lost a chance here - the disc is french soundtrack only. The film was shot intwo versions - one in french then they reshot it in English with a new soundtrack (all the songs were recorded twice) - would love to have both versions.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks