What's new

The new Complete Toxic Avenger set has the edited version of Toxic Avenger Part 2 (1 Viewer)

John Pannozzi

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Francis Pannozzi
You heard me right. The new Complete Toxic Avenger set has the cut, R-rated version of The Toxic Avenger Part 2. I am quite displeased by this development (thankfully, I haven't bought the set yet), mostly becuase Troma is so against censorship.

More info can be found at Troma Message Boards :: View topic - The Complete Toxic Avenger , DVD Talk Forum - The Complete Toxic Avenger April 29 ,
and Register at IMDb.com

Thankfully, this guy "Echoes" on the Troma boards has a solution of sorts: "I pre ordered this and bought it before I found out Part 2 was the R-rated version. I was fortunate to find the uncut version of 2, for those of you who may not know you can buy it separately from the tox box if you buy the Toxic Twin pack that come with the Toxic Avenger Part 2 and Troma Triple B Header Tainted Vampires. Just make sure that The Toxie box has a yellow and red Triangle in the upper left corner that says unrated directors cut. I just bought mine from Amazon this week and it is indeed the complete unrated version. Now I feel I have the Complete Toxic Avenger."

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I already have the individual releases of both The Toxic Avenger and The Toxic Avenger Part II. I'm not especially familiar with either film or the various versions of them, but both are advertised as "the unrated director's cut." I recently purchased The Complete Toxic Avenger, and compared the box set's DVDs of the first two films to the individual releases. They are the exact same DVDs. Part II has different disc art, but the data on the disc is actually identical--I checked the VOB files to confirm this. Does the old "unrated director's cut" DVD of Part II erroneously contain the R-rated cut? Or did I actually get the unrated version in the box set?

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member

You probably already had the R-rated cut.

When the movie was initially released they made this mistake. It was corrected on the Tox Box release and supposedly all individual copies after that were the Tox Box disc. I'm guessing that you bought your copies early since you have the first two films (which were released early for Troma) and not the third, which came to DVD later due to rights issues, right before the Tox Box.

For whatever reason it seems like they're using that initial R-rated disc again, whether they had a bunch of them in a warehouse they're trying to unload or whether some inept technician pressed new copies of the wrong disc by mistake, but unless you have the Tox Box it's very likely that you already had the R-rated version.

I'm personally happy that I passed on this. As a Tox Box owner it was tempting (before this blunder came to light, at least) because "Toxic Crusaders" was my introduction to Troma and Toxie, but having seen the packaging it's obvious that Troma has plans to release "Toxic Crusaders" as an individual release somewhere down the line. I don't think it's any big mystery as to why all the old content is packaged in a 5-disc case and then "Crusaders" is given it's own 2-disc case with it's own disc art. The "Crusaders" portion of the package can easily be sold on it's own in the future and that's what I'll wait for.

Spottedfeather

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
For anyone here that has the complete Toxic Avengers set, could you put up a list of the number of discs in the set and what is on each one ? Thanks. That would really help me a lot in deciding wether to get the set or not. Thanks again.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
The set comprises two separate cases shrink wrapped together. The first case contains five discs, and includes the four movies, the fourth as a two-disc set including a feature-length behind-the-scenes documentary on disc two. These appear to be the exact same discs that are available individually (and as noted above, Part II is apparently the edited R-rated version). The second case contains all thirteen episodes of Toxic Crusaders spread across two discs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks