What's new

The Name Of The Rose due to hit DVD on July 6 (1 Viewer)

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Randy, are the extras above correct then, as per Warner's press site?

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
Paul, the site doesn't list extras yet. They typically are confirmed once a press release is issued, which hasn't happened yet but should soon.

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
Paul,

There is a lot of contradictory information out there (even from different sources at Warner) - so that list of specs I posted is absolutely not confirmed (which is also why I used the words seems, speculated, apparently, and reported). :)

The source for that list comes from several places including a couple Warner reps. I was told the disc was an SS-SL and in a keep case from a Warner distributor who was given an early release copy. As often is the case with preview copies, specs change and as pointed out by Randy, the official release may very well end up on an SS-DL disc packaged in the infamous snapper case.

Call me skeptical, but I won’t even consider an official press release as confirmation because too often disc specs get changed between then and when they actually hit the store shelves.

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter

What? I would like to see that copy. R1 (not the Brazil R0)? I've never seen an early-release copy from Warner Home Video more than three months before release, especially not one in any kind of packaging and definitely not for a middle-of-the-pack catalog title. The best you can hope for from WHV is a test disc at this stage, and it's even early for that. Call me a skeptic on that one.

Anyway, you're spot on with the rest of your comments, Nils. Nothing's ever a given until you actually have a final-packaged disc.

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
BTW: If anyone is curious, I updated the post with the posters and art work as I noticed the link to the official USA release poster went dead.

While locating a replacement image, I also stumbled across Drew Struzan's long lost original concept art for the poster which Fox subsequently destroyed. A reproduction (which this is a photo of) is the only remaining evidence of its former existence.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Great to hear that the region 1 is the SE! :) :emoji_thumbsup:

This week I have been reading The Dead Sea Scrolls Deception (first published 1991) by Michael Baigent and Richard Leigh and comparisons are drawn on two occasions to Eco's novel about how the monastery holds important, sacred information from others. Interesting stuff.

Well, I'm glad it is finally coming to DVD in what will, hopefully be a great edition. Indeed, as Ernest Rister states above this film is a tough film to transfer to video - it is up there with Altman and Zsigmond's work on McCabe & Mrs Miller and Kubrick and John Alcott work on Barry Lyndon - also Warner releases, I might add - as a films that are very darkly, yet beautifully lit and composed. Much care will need to be taken with this transfer in order to retain the original integrity of the cinematography. Great film, one of the 80s best kept Cinema secrets.

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
Warner Home Video lists these extras on its newly issued press release:

* Making-Of Documentary: The Abbey Of Crime: Umberto Eco's The Name of the Rose
* Commentary by Director Jean-Jacques Annaud
* All-New Photo Video: Journey with Jean-Jacques Annaud
* Theatrical Trailer

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
In Germany, Warner will release this film in 2 editions. A single disc version in July, identical to the US release, and a 2 disc version in August. The second disc contains "an original 90 min. documentary by Annaud about the making of the film, the life of a monk, the actors and much more, supplemented by a film analysis with photos and documents".

Source (in German): Area-DVD

Chris

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I am probably in a minority of one but as someone who actually liked Warner's snappers, I am sorry to see that this disc is in the all-pervasive Amaray. It seems that Warner have totally abandoned snappers. Is there no room for individuality nowadays?

I wouldn't mind the Amary case so much if only Warner would include an insert, even if it's just a single sheet. To add insult to injury the Amaray cases include grips which are obviously designed for holding a paper insert, so seeing those always makes me feel as if I'm being deprived of something which should be included in the package.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Maybe a minority of two...though I do prefer Amarays if I have to choose. I have never had any serious issue with snappers, and I like the way the discs have never been loose on the hub when I get them, but are easy to remove when you want. However, the snapper is very inflexible for packaging (i.e. inserts if desired, more than 1 disc), and not very durable. I don't see how people can complain about snappers but apparently accept digipaks.

Christian: Any English subtitles on that documentary?

[I should note that the DVDSoon price is Can$16 now, they often have very low prices for a short while when a release is first announced (Alien Quadrilogy and Star Wars Trilogy are excellent examples of that).]

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
No idea. The film disc itself will most likely be subtitled in the appropriate languages (at least English and German), but since the 2 discer seems to be an exclusive for German speaking countries so far, I wouldn't count on any subtitles on the second disc. We probably won't know for sure until the disc is out.

Chris

Malcolm Cleugh

Second Unit
Have checked the BBFC (UK censor) database again and the longer documentary does not appear to be listed, its not tied to the Name of the Rose entries anyway.

Looking at the shorter Abbey of Crime documentary the BBFC says this is in German with English subtitles

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig

Yes, it is.

This sure is a pretty good transfer, that still looks like film. This is far darker (lighting-wise) than oh, say Panic Room for example, but IMO looks way better. Surprisingly clear detail when there's light. Good sound too, the surround was effective and not gimmicky. I was very impressed with this, so just had to write a little something after finishing it!

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
It's a great transfer, the 5.1 sound is nice and the commentary is excellent.

It's a superb film - one of the best of the 80s - and I'm glad that I finally have a great DVD edition of it.

Thanks, Warner! :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks