What's new

The Name Of The Rose due to hit DVD on July 6 (1 Viewer)

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I sure hope they do a decent transfer, as the only home video versions I've seen have been extremely muddy.

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
Just like Greystoke, this is yet another title that Warner Bros was considering and possibly had started to develop as a 2-Disc SE release only to get canceled/postponed and instead released in standard form. (insert "sigh" smiley here)

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Well MGM just gave us Flesh + Blood, a title that has an MSRP of $14.98 (I believe, since I bought it for $10), which had a few extras including a commentray.

The cover however is atrocious.

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
Um, which cover art is atrocious, Paul...

"Flesh + Blood" or "Name Of The Rose"?

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

"Name Of The Rose" does look a little big-heady, admittedly.

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
Given everything that could have been put in a release like this a bare-bones edition is quite disappointing. I would love to see an in-depth release complete with the missing footage I've heard so much about.

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
The new Warner Bros DVD cover is rather disappointing, but then again so where all the theatrical posters:

This was the official USA release poster designed and drawn by Drew Struzan, one of the most famous movie poster artists of our time. Unfortunately his talents were waisted as the poster was an absolute travesty due to the fact that it is obviouisly depicting the film as a comedy. Apparently 20th Century Fox had very little faith that the film would sell in the states unless they dipicted it as a quirky dark comedy. :eek:

This was the first concept poster that Drew Struzan submitted to Fox, but even this was not considerd 'comedic' enough.

And the covert art of previous video releases have not been all that spectacular either:

Of all the previous art work for 'The Name of the Rose', my favorite by far is from the German VHS release:

(looks like the European Amazon wont allow hotlinking, so to see this cover art (Click Here)

Seems to me this will be a good excuse to convert the WB snapper into a standard ammray case and create a cover out of previous art work.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Of course I meant the Name of the Rose cover. Sorry if that didn't come across. I do like some of the above posters. Really any of them would be better than the new DVD cover. I'd prefer this myself:

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
I can't stand bobblehead DVD covers. Last thing I want on my DVD covers are disembodied floating heads. Looks like a used car ad and, in this unfortunate case, gives away a major part of the plot. :b

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
The coverart looks really cheap and like no one really cared. Kinda reminds me of the cover art for the just released "Brother Sun, Sister Moon."

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
Gordon,

I'm fairly certain that Warner is the distributor for the R2 UK release, and as far as I have heard, the R2 release as a Special Edition is only speculation, and Warner has not yet announced any details. While I hope they continue to consider this title as a future 2-Disc SE release, for now we can only hope the upcoming release will in fact have the director's commentary and the 'The Abbey Of Crime' documentary. Most importantly, let us hope the transfer is up to Warner's high standards and doesn't suffer from compression.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
I edited my post after I checked at the BBFC site and found that Warner submitted the trailer last year.

The extras on the region 1 are still to be confirmed.

Play UK: http://www.play.com/play247.asp?page...2&p=57&c=&g=72

*All features to be confirmed...
Audio commentary from director Jean-Jacques Annaud
'The Abbey Of Crime' documentary
'Photo Journey With Director Jean-Jacques Annaud' featurette
Trailer
Interactive menu
Scene access

I don't think that this stuff is made up, I think that these are the specs and that the region 1 is going to be the same. I hope! :D

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Another bargain-bin Annaud film was released earlier by Fox, Quest for Fire, which contained several extras as well, including 2 commentary tracks. Hopefully Jean-Jacques's commentary will be on the R1 DVD.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I'll be interested to see how the R1 and the R2 UK release compare with my Italion release.

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
What footage was cut from the moive? I wonder. Does anyone have links to articles on what was cut from the movie?

Be Seeing You,
David Blackwell

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
Well, it seems the R1 release that will be available on July 6th, as speculated by Gordon McMurphy, looks like it is identical to the R2 release which apparently will come out on August 30th.

So far the features/details that are being reported for the R1 release:
  • New Anamorphic OAR 1.85 Video Transfer
  • New 5.1 DD Audio Mix
  • English, Spanish, and French Subtitles
  • 131 Min. Running Time (not the chopped down previous R2 release, but no added footage either)
  • Director's Commentary
  • 'The Abbey Of Crime' Documentary
  • Interactive Menu
  • SS-SL Disc Format (if true may be a bad sign for PQ due to excessive compression and low bit rates)
  • Keep Case (another non snapper from Warner - thank you WB!)

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
Love this movie. I don't envy the people responsible for the transfer, though...The Name of the Rose is a darkly lit film, almost excessively dark. Saw this at the old Americana theater in Austin back in 1986 and loved it. Never quite understood why it didn't have a larger following...

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Oh boy, where are those specs confirmed, Nils? This film will complete my Annaud collection, and if it contains the extras listed, and for the 13 bucks I have it preordered, I'll be in heaven! Hopefully Warner will do their regular outstanding job on the transfer (I don't even remnember the last time a recent WB title came out with a subpar video).

:emoji_thumbsup: :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks