What's new

The Mixed Blessing of Online Gaming (1 Viewer)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Well over the last couple of evenings I've enjoyed my Forays into Xbox Live. Well Kinda.

I was just in a game where, as Usual, I was getting my ass handed to me, I was about to lose, but it looked as if I would go in for my 1st and only Score, and lose 28-7. And the &^%$^ exited the game. This guy wanted so bad to maintain his shutout that he threw away my investment in 45 min of playing the game. I never exited as I was getting shutout. I was still having fun. Now I know the scoreboard willeventually show these guys, but I don't think they care and it still sucks. Such is the sport of online gaming.

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
I do prefer online gaming with people I know, but will still occassionally play a counter-strike game on a random public server, even with all the rampant cheating. I dunno - still just fun to play against another human rather than some bot.

Brett Hancock

Supporting Actor
I agree that it does suck when somebody quits in the middle of a game but that just comes with playing against people. I think overall people enjoy playing the game online as much as you do and from my experience people usually dont quit in the middle of a game and will play the whole thing regardless of the score. If this doesn't seem to be the case for the people you play against let me know, I would be more then happy to challenge you(and defeat you:)) at SOCOM, NFL 2k3, or Tony Hawk 3 for Ps2.

Chris Beveridge

Second Unit
Dave,

That was a complaint I and others had back when I was playing online on the Dreamcast, but mostly just with the sports titles. I find it happens far less in other genres than it does there. Like back then, I'm not sure what the ideal solution would be.

JasonKrol

Supporting Actor
that sucks. But i recall seeing a "Disconnect %" stat listed next to every player in the "lobby" for Madden games etc.

I imagine that those players with high percentages will have a hard time finding a pickup game.

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
To be honest, that's kind of why I joined the HTF football league. I'm lousy at football, but I was hoping to put together a buddy list of fellow HTF'ers that I can trust not to do those kinds of shenanigans. I think if I have a dozen or so people that I know are good folks and are fun to play with, that will make XBL a lot more enjoyable.

WillY

Stunt Coordinator
I notice that people leave during the middle of a game a lot more when they are getting their asses handed to them, so kudos to you Dave on wanting to play through.

What is this HTP football league? Is it too late to get in? If not, have my beloved Skins already been called? I think I will get my ass beat a lot using them when Xbox Live goes, well, live, but I have to remain faithful to my team (hopefully by Nov. 15 I will be good at the game). Is Sega going to adjust team and player ratings based on how well they are doing in the actual season? By then the Skins should have established themselves as the dominant force in the NFC East...

Troy LaMont

Supporting Actor
That was a complaint I and others had back when I was playing online on the Dreamcast, but mostly just with the sports titles.
Ditto.
But my situation was reversed, I'd be whomping someone's ass and they quit. I stuck it out on all games, even at 50-0! :eek:
I had a little trick that I used so they wouldn't be able to exit. When they brought up the menu screen to exit, if you kept hitting start, it would take them back and they couldn't get out (unless their timing was right). It was funny, every once and a while, someone would get the hint and come back and finish the game.
Troy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks