What's new

The Matrix Reloaded (2003) (2 Viewers)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
So, why does Neo go into the coma after it "looks" like he stopped the sentinels?

Also, you pretty much have to shut down the ship to unload an EMF bomb on the sentinels (since it knocks out the electrical system of both the ship and the sentinels). How would the rescue ship do this in the span of time shown.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I am tending to think Zion IS real. Not another level of the system.

I think ChadM might be right regarding Neo. Neo has an avatar inside of the Matrix. Now Smith has an avatar outside of the Matrix. Methinks there is a bigger connection between those two than this film lets on. Maybe Smith is "The One" on the flipside of Neo. Neo is the human One, Smith the program One. Who the hell knows?

I cannot wait to see this again ;) I'd like to reiterate how GREAT Neo's flying was. I'll watch those scenes over and over. And over.

Here's a silly thought on the racial makeup of Zion. As the Matrix is programmed with all the miseries of humankind, certainly racism and mistrust are as rampant as they are in our world. Perhaps the racial divide is more conducive to persons of color seeing through the Matrix (as it's nature could be construed to be similar to that of racial, or gender, or religious oppression) than normal Caucasians. Just a random 2 AM thought from last night.

Take care,
Chuck

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
A little OT, but I forgot to mention it last night. During all of the trailers and the first couple of minutes the film was badly mis-framed. During the scene with Merovingian and Persephone, the film partly came off the track and jittered (giving me a damn headache) for about 10 minutes, until they shut off the damn projector. The audience exploded, and got up to leave to go piss or get popcorn, etc...and then they turned it back on. I swear, I have the worst theater in the entire world...they've managed to screw up every single showing of every film I've seen there :)

...and I'm going back in about 20 minutes for another dose of that medicine :D

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I don't know if it has been mentioned before, but tying what the Oracle said about ghosts, vampires, etc...are the twins supposed to be rogue programs that have become ghosts? I certainly got that impression.

And, btw...Morpheous pulling out the sword for the showdown with the SUV was very fucking kewl. That whole freeway sequence was just stunning.

Howie A

Second Unit
I thought the movie was really great. It’s tough to even say that it’s impossible to top an original film with a sequel like this..

I have to agree that the scene with all the Smiths did seem to have the feel of a video game.
Maybe the CGI work was done by Shiny Entertainment.?..?

The homage to superman was really sweet looking, as long as your willing to accept the fact that he can do anything
he wants in the matrix, why not fly?

Is this completely obvious and the reason why it went unsaid for so long?
I thought at first the beginning of the film was a dream sequence since after the action the camera pulls out
from Neo's alarm clock and pans out to see neo and trinity trying to sleep. But the beginning action sequence was replayed at the end also. The one of Trinity driving off the building using the Motorcycle to blow up the back-up power source. Then I realized it was not a dream. We entered the matrix at the end of the Architect’s 6th “reload" just in time to catch that part which then ties into the rest of the movie at the end of the so called upgraded 7th “reload”.

WOW!

ChadM

Stunt Coordinator
I think ChadM might be right regarding Neo. Neo has an avatar inside of the Matrix. Now Smith has an avatar outside of the Matrix. Methinks there is a bigger connection between those two than this film lets on. Maybe Smith is "The One" on the flipside of Neo. Neo is the human One, Smith the program One. Who the hell knows?
Hey Thanks Chuck! I think that the zion is a level of the matrix thing is a little cliched and obvious. That being said I am ready to go wherever the BROS take me. Actually I am excited about where the BROS may be going after Revolutions.

Marc_Sulinski

Supporting Actor
I just can't see how Neo could have been given some kind of supernatual powers that act outside the matrix. The real world outside the matrix is supposed to be like our own world, right? If so, then there is no way anyone could do what Neo did to the Sentinels unless the world of Zion is also not the real world.

StephenK

Stunt Coordinator
A couple of people have mentioned the "significance" of the Smith Real world avatar carving an 11 into his left hand. I don't get this. Can anyone explain?

Also, I've got to stop going to 1:00 AM showings, I was so knackered I missed a lot, e.g the Mal-whatever/Persephone being possibly an earlier incarnation of Neo/Trinity, which is a very cool concept.

derek

Second Unit
If so, then there is no way anyone could do what Neo did to the Sentinels unless the world of Zion is also not the real world.
What if Neo was...part machine himself? In fact...thinking about it...maybe there are no humans at all (or humanity 'used' for the following purpose.) The whole Matrix program is a artificially intelligent machine or program (Architect) trying 'recreate' the Matrix and destroy/rebuild Zion in unlimited permutations in search of a creation of the 'One' which will allow the AI to become self-aware..make 'illogical' choices...to discover humanity/soul/sense of being. To actually live (or create life..avatar Smith?)

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
I could be off base but I bet that in the final movie Neo will have to become part of the Matrix (thus killing his real world body) to destroy it. It seems that a story line like this would fit with the overall animae nature of the films.
That would be a very good twist at the end of Revolutions and makes sense...perhaps at the end of Reloaded he is in fact part of the Matrix now...that is why he will not wake up...

Theres so many possiblities that can happen in Revolutions and damn it...I just cant wait to see how it unfolds...

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Poland states over at his site that there are no boxes within boxes so that what takes place in the Zion world is real.

I'll go along with this and will base further speculation on that assumption.

The Smith/Neo relationship is one of the more interesting questions.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
This I know:

November and December will likely the end-all, be-all of geekdom. When The Hulk and X2 on DVD (and Nemo, goodness I can't wait to see that) are the small stories...

Reloaded on DVD
TTT: EE on DVD
Revolutions on screen
ROTK on screen

It's just unbelievable!

I noticed DP's no boxes within boxes, and I'll go with that as well. Zion is real. Where do we go from here? Lots of interesting ideas are being touted. How wonderful :D

I don't think Smith had those agents attack. He showed up before they did, and let right before they banged on the door. As DP mentioned...he has a knack for showing up at odd times. He's certainly outside the system.

Take care,
Chuck

Doug R

Supporting Actor
Diallo,

I'm still waiting for the "fully understood" explanation of Oracle and Architect scenes.

Thanks.

Hunter P

Screenwriter
Many have asked why Neo bothers with kung fu when he is The One. If Neo didn't fight and just went into the code and fixed it then we wouldn't have two sequels chock full of eye candy.

If it makes it easier for you then refer back to the first movie where Morpheous tells Neo that we are limited by our idea of reality. He is still operating within most of the constraints of the Matrix universe. He's breathing, he's walking on the ground, he's opening doors to get to another room, and he probably even uses the bathroom while in the Matrix even though he knows that none of it is real or necessary.

Sure his knowledge of the nature of the Matrix allows him to fly but is even that unnecessary? Why can't he just "appear" where he wants to be? The answer is simply because the audience would miss out on that cool shot of Neo flying down from the sky with clouds and cars swirling behind him.

Who cares about logic, physics, and philosophy? Let us bask in the orgy of visual effects.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member

Yeah. Well I'm still waiting for a "fully explained" breakdown of the finer points of 2001: A Space Odyssey. Whatever happened to watching a movie and experiencing it for yourself?

I completely 'understood' both of these scenes. That doesn't mean that A. I'm necessarily 'correct' or B. I got the same meaning that other moviegoers will.

Troy_M

Stunt Coordinator
This might sound far fetched...but has it crossed anyone's mind that Agent Smith might be a program that Neo created in the first Matrix? I mean Neo is/was a super computer hacker like Trinity...maybe he created this evil virus known as Agent Smith. I know....we can speculate all day, but this is just a thought that crossed my mind.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Troy it's possible.

I'm more inclined to believe that in the Original Matrix Neo entered Smith and absorbed/deleted him. Smith would have allowed himself to be deleted because he felt he had no other options.

When Neo is resurrected - an event that shouldn't be possible Smith was able to grab onto this and recreate himself.. I believe he and Neo are linked because of this event. They shared code - so to speak.

Scott - my biggest question with the Architect is just how honest was he? Was he being forthright or was he trying to mislead Neo?

Doug R

Supporting Actor
Scott,

I'm only saying that because Diallo said he fully understood them and many people have requested "cliff notes". He said he would provide them when he was ready, so I just wanted to prompt him again :)

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Over at CHUD, in their Post-Release Matrix thread, Kurt Wimmer (who wrote/directed Equilibrium, drops in intermittently) has a very mathematical take on the story and the Architect scene. I don't agree with it, but it's more grist for the mill.

It might be worth your time. He posts under Ludwig Van.

Take care,
Chuck

Lee L

Supporting Actor
Something's been bugging me since I watched Reloaded last night. In The Matrix, didn't they remove all the plugs from their bodies, except for the one in the back of the head and the one on the arm? I'll have to watch the Matrix again tonight to double-check, but I thought I saw them removing the plugs from Neo in his rehabilitation period.
I noticed this as well and will be checking out the Matrix DVD this weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gigaspin88
Recent bookmarks