What's new

t1g3r5fan

Reviewer
Real Name
Mychal Bowden
Today, The Manchurian Candidate.
The year 1962 was a busy one for director John Frankenheimer. The veteran live dramatic television director had just come off of his return to Hollywood with his sophomore feature The Young Savages (1961) and had no less than three movies he worked on released to theaters. One reunited him with Burt Lancaster – his star in The Young Savages – for a biopic on the notorious Birdman of Alcatraz, Robert Stroud; the second was All Fall Down, one of Warren Beatty’s earliest films as an actor. The third was the one that would cement his place in Hollywood, an adaptation of Richard Condon’s novel The Manchurian Candidate. Released on DVD and Blu-ray by MGM (the current rights holder to the United Artists picture) and given the Criterion Collection treatment on both DVD and Blu-ray (HTF’s Matt Hough reviewed that release here) as well, Kino has licensed the movie...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
I'm not sure there is anyone on this forum who has not seen this film.If there is ... what are you waiting for? It will change your life. It's one of the most amazing things produced in America and the fact that it is still chillingly relevant is only the 10th most amazing thing about it. I know this film may not be everyone's cup of tea but this is required viewing for anyone interested in the art of directing, acting, writing, cinematography, production design, editing...Special shout outs to Laurence Harvey, F Sinatra, J Leigh, James Gregory and of course Angela Lansbury. It's a nightmare of a movie that at times has a Wellesian or a Kubrickian over the top quality in the acting and in the subversive satirical elements. I cannot wait to get this on 4k.

Last edited:

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Thanks for this review. I never did buy the Blu-ray disc - I resent paying Criterion's prices - and I've stuck with my DVD instead. I'll buy this 4K disc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks