What's new

The Magnificent Seven remake... (2 Viewers)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
It's not a remake of the Kurosawa film so I don't think that would work.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
And btw apart from the basic plot of townsfolk hiring protectors against a villain, this film is much deferent than the remake.
This version is a much more personal for the protagonist and brutal film than the 1960 film.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Curtain? I haven't seen a curtain in a cinema in over 30 years. [emoji848]

AshJW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
The Savoy has one. :)

9bdb6ad919.jpg

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Well I watched The Magnificent Seven for the first time a couple of days ago. Yes, the 1960 version. It was enjoyable for sure. I can't see the new version until next week, but I'm glad I saw the original first.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Well I watched The Magnificent Seven for the first time a couple of days ago. Yes, the 1960 version. It was enjoyable for sure. I can't see the new version until next week, but I'm glad I saw the original first.
One of the attributes that the 1960 film has going for it was with that great cast. I don't think many thought so many of them would go on to have such good acting careers beyond Brynner, Wallach and perhaps McQueen, who's star was rising beyond his TV series. Even some great character actors like Bing Russell, Kurt's Dad, Robert J. Wilkie, Val Avery and Whit Bissell had small, but good roles in this film.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
True, but it's amazing that so many people actually stay these days. It used to be a mad rush for the doors. Marvel is almost single-handedly responsible for more people hanging around for the end/mid-credit easter egg scene(s).

Malcolm Bmoor

Second Unit
Real Name
Malcolm Blackmoor
I'm not a fan of current mass audience strongly violence-as-comedy films (The Hateful 8 was an appalling example) and the trailor of M7, seen on line, is the closest I'll be going. It's a sad reflection that although the original Western was violent for its time, and far more so than most Family Entertainment films of the time (I was a rather shocked 13 year old), the violence appears to have been greatly increased in this version.

The most shocking aspect is the official line is that everyone understands all that killing to be unrelated to real life. Speaking only for the current increase in murders and violent crimes in London my view is that they're only fooling themselves.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
True, but it's amazing that so many people actually stay these days. It used to be a mad rush for the doors. Marvel is almost single-handedly responsible for more people hanging around for the end/mid-credit easter egg scene(s).
Ferris Bueller would have something to say about that. [emoji13]

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I'm not a fan of current mass audience strongly violence-as-comedy films (The Hateful 8 was an appalling example) and the trailor of M7, seen on line, is the closest I'll be going. It's a sad reflection that although the original Western was violent for its time, and far more so than most Family Entertainment films of the time (I was a rather shocked 13 year old), the violence appears to have been greatly increased in this version.

The most shocking aspect is the official line is that everyone understands all that killing to be unrelated to real life. Speaking only for the current increase in murders and violent crimes in London my view is that they're only fooling themselves.
Since you haven't seen the film nor intend to basing your opinion on the trailer is not indicative of the film itself. The violence was appropriate for the story being told and was not gory or gratuitous in my opinion.

AshJW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Just came out of the cinema.
I liked it very much, not as much as the "original" (it's one of my all-time favorites), but enough to be anxious to get the BD and get the body count. :D

I give it a 8,5 out of 10.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Enjoyed the film a lot! I like my share of westerns and this fit the bill nicely. More humorous than expected and interesting mix of characters.

Have not seen the original, but I've had the blu for a while and will see it eventually.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Been to the theater to see a Marvel film lately? ;)

If anything, Marvel has ruined credits. When I saw Magificent 7, I stayed all the way through the credits because that's generally what I do (unless the bathroom is calling my name bad). There were some other people who stayed too - and I hear one loudly complain "Where's the extra scene! What a ripoff!"

Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Marvel has ruined credits? I sure don't think so. If someone assumes that every movie out there is going to have an easter egg buried in the end credits just because some studios do it regularly, well, that's just not very smart IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks