What's new

The Lion Sleeps Tonight: 80s MGM Films Not On Blu (1 Viewer)

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
I was hoping the COTTON CLUB Encore Edition would include the theatrical cut as well but it seems the only place to find that on Blu (Region A) is Japan. Other amendments: THE GREY FOX is also coming next year, or so I've read; DR. HECKYL AND MR. HYPE (the actual title of that 1980 release) and HOTEL COLONIAL are available from Ronin, and BEYOND THE DOOR III from Vinegar Syndrome; and THE BELLY OF AN ARCHITECT and THE LONELY PASSION OF JUDITH HEARNE are two reasons to go region-free.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I have had both Pirates (the Polanski picture) and Barfly on blu for a while. Both are foreign releases, I think Pirates was from Italy can't recall what country I got Barfly from, and I think both are region free.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I was hoping the COTTON CLUB Encore Edition would include the theatrical cut as well but it seems the only place to find that on Blu (Region A) is Japan

I have an Australian release, Umbrella I believe, that is region free of the theatrical that I purchased through Amazon for about $15.00 at one point. It was also on sale at Deep Discount. Amazon was stocking Umbrella titles at one point as does Deep Discount.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Hot Dog...The Movie comes to Blu-ray in a new extended cut on February 25, 2020.

The Iconic '80s T&A Cult Classic - For the First Time Ever in its Original Uncut Version!

Harkin Banks (Patrick Houser) is an American hot-dogger who enters a winter skiing competition and goes pole-to-pole with Rudi (John Patrick Reger), an arrogant Austrian pro who will do anything to win! As Harkin's "Rat Pack" and Rudi's "Rudettes" battle on and off the slopes, Rudi's ultra-sexy ex-girlfriend (Shannon Tweed, Playboy's 1982 Playmate of the Year) sets her sights on Harkin with a few "pointers" of her own. Culminating in a final and dangerous "Chinese Downhill" race, only one will be victorious!

See and hear HOT DOG … THE MOVIE the way it was always meant to be in this "Unrated Producer's Cut" of the iconic '80s T&A ski-comedy classic! Remastered in 4K from the uncut 35mm camera negative and remixed in 5.1 surround sound, this is writer/co-producer Mike Marvin's original version of the film containing additional nudity, sex and restored scenes not included in the 1984 theatrical release.

Special Features:

New 4K restoration of the producer's uncut version from the recently discovered original 35mm camera negative.

New 5.1 surround sound mix (Original 2.0 theatrical mono mix also included).

HOT DOG: THE DOCUMENTARY - An all-new 50 minute featurette including new interviews with director Peter Markle, co-producer/writer Mike Marvin, and cast members David Naughton, Tracy Smith, John Patrick Reger and Frank Koppala.

Audio commentary with co-producer/writer Mike Marvin.

Original theatrical trailer, TV spot, radio spots, and music video.

Liner notes by TEEN MOVIE HELL author, Mike McPadden.

Last edited:

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I would really like to see High Risk get released with good picture/sound quality on BluRay. I bought a DVD that wasn’t through MGM some years ago, and the video was MAR and terrible looking, so I threw it in the trash.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Your list is quite extensive, and nice to see these titles collected here. But your choices of what to highlight in bold are, of course, highly subjective ones. Personally, I would highlight RETURN OF THE SECAUCUS 7, TICKET TO HEAVEN, DON'T CRY IT'S ONLY THUNDER, THE GREY FOX, THE LONELY PASSION OF JUDITH HEARNE, THE CHOCOLATE WAR, CRUSOE, DOMINICK AND EUGENE & FAREWELL TO THE KING as being among the more important titles. FYI: The 1988 film is not called WORLD'S APART, but rather A WORLD APART. WORLDS APART was a 2008 film and an entirely different story. THE BALLAD OF GREGORIO CORTEZ has been released on Blu by Criterion, and PRANCER is on Blu from Shout! Factory.

TICKET TO HEAVEN is great, but, like a lot of films released by United Artists Classics in the '80s, it is no longer controlled by MGM / UA.

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
Tubi TV has a very nice print of Cattle Annie and Little Britches( released in NYC for a minute with very muted newspaper ads in May 1981) and surprisingly opens up with a Warner Brothers logo...not Universal or MGM .

Tubi TV us a great source for 70s and 80s films all nicely presented

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks