What's new

THE LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN pre-release discussion (MERGED THREAD) (1 Viewer)

DaveGR

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone else hear The Avengers? as in the crappy Fienes,Thurman pic,hey and didnt that have Sean Connery too,,hmmm I dont know I hope it wont be like that,Yikes Im trying to think positive though,, :)

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I think this is one of those films where it is probably better if you don't read the source material in the first place. I've known for a while that it wasn't going to be the comic book, and it probably wouldn't be much of a success being the comic book.

I understand the reason to Vamp up Mina. The audience would ask the same question that the rest of the team asked in the book. "Why are you on this team?" Mina in the book really doesn't have all that much to do in the books. In fact, a lot of times, she ends up being the token victim. (Especially in the second series, from what I've read so far.) So, it is perfectly understandable that they try to put her on more equal footing.

As for the car, I've read that it is Nemo's. Considering subarines didn't really exist at that time either, I can gather that the car is a further expansion on Nemo's technological superiority.

Jason

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
:laugh:
I thought the exact same thing when I watched the trailer for a second time! Ah well, I'm still looking forward to it...only a little bit less.

DaveGR

Stunt Coordinator
wow ,and I havent even seen the trailer,,i was just going on how it seemed to come off to me,,Yikes thats scary you said that,I certaintly hope its not a second coming of Avengers,,if it is may god have mercy on your souls,,Run for the Hills, ARGHHHHhhhhhh

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
Aaron, thanks fanboy! :D What would be appropriate 20's characters? I don't know that period very well at all.
As for Avengers, I agree...it even has Sean Connery! As for wondering why Mina is there, Andy said it best above She is a powerful woman in an era where it wasn't expected (I guess). She won over each of the men in her own way without sexuality (okay, until the second series) or otherwise stereotypical methods. I disagree with her being a token victim...all the heroes are flawed and were, in some way, rescued by her at one point or another. Now she looks like Trinity with fangs. Ugh.
If Sean Connery is seen wearing a fuzzy bear outfit, I will hurl! (or did I dream that sequence in Avengers??)
Phil

Eujin

Supporting Actor
Phil, I think I'm pretty much on board with everything you've said so far.
I just watched the trailer for the first time and I have to say that vamping Mina just strikes me as just the kind of move that Hollywood execs would pull to dumb down the original material. To me, making Mina a vamp completely destroys the beautiful irony inherent in Alan Moore's concept. It's called "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" but the irony is that the most remarkable member of the League is 1) a woman and 2) a woman who has no "extraordinary" powers/abilities.
For all of the talents and special powers that the MEN of LXG possess, they are also petty and immature. Mina is the glue that holds the League together. This is precisely what makes her "extraordinary". Furthermore, the original setting of LXG in Victorian times further underlines the curious state of gender inequality of the times. It is called the Victorian era because Queen Victoria was on the throne--arguably one of the most powerful women in history. Yet at the same time, her presence as head of state did very little for everyday perceptions of the role that women played in society. That Mina's assertive qualities should be met with horror is an acute depiction of societal norms. To put it in lit. geeky terms, LXG is a microcosm of societal attitudes prevalent in Victorian England. ;)
Vamping Mina up just robs the material of that extra subtext that made Moore's comic such richly entertaining material.
On a shallower note, I'm just depressed as all hell that Monica Bellucci was replaced with Peta Wilson.
:frowning:

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
Phew, yeah, LXG (hate that acronym) has a serious Avengers vibe to it. The problem I have with it is that they Americanized it for, well, American audiences. And some of this stuff is serious lowest common denominator. The coolest thing about Mina's character in the comics is that the vampirism is barely ever addressed.

Further, the addition of Tom Sawyer as an American character is 100% NOT needed. Shame really.

I won't pre-judge the quality of this movie since I haven't seen it, but it's a damn shame that it won't be based off the comic book.

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
Does anyone else hear The Avengers? as in the crappy Fienes,Thurman pic,hey and didnt that have Sean Connery too,,hmmm I dont know I hope it wont be like that,Yikes Im trying to think positive though,,
Say what you will, but seeing Uma in that suit was well worth the price of admission.

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
Tom Sawyer is actually not a bad addition to the cast. He is period correct both in character an in the writing. I think just about any character from that period of time is a worthwhile addition. I assume that the "immortal" from the poster is Dorian Grey? I think he makes an appearance in the comics, but not as a main character. For me, it still is the vamp Harker. Sheesh. That will be hard to let go. FYI, I found a cool site for the lack of Victorian understanding in me. This gent has done all the comics and the short stories in the back and goes to explain every single reference, in detail. Much geeky goodness. I knew some of the more obvious references, knew there were quite a few more than I could find on my own, but I was completely surprised at the tonnage in terms of references, both in writing, character and even background art. Very cool. Enjoy.
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Olym...0/league3.html
Phil
PS Any script treatments online for this movie? Though I normally don't like to read scripts before the movies, this is one I really am curious about.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
I understand that Alan Moore himself heard about that website and e-mailed Mr. Nevins to congratulate him on his research, so it seems that just about all of the references found on that site are accurate. Pretty fascinating reading. I'm not getting my hopes up but it would be nice if the movie had even a fraction of the number of easter eggs that are in the comics :)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
In the comics, "M" (clearly meant to be the predecessor of James Bond's M and a famous Conan Doyle character in his own right) gathers them to because extraordinary operatives are needed to protect the empire. Moore just posits a world where they all exist simultaneously.

DaveGR

Stunt Coordinator
Saw the Trailer a bit ago,,and Man how this thing is gonna bomb,,HAHHAHA,,its not that it looks horrible in the Trailer,,its that the premise is NOT going to draw in anyone,Ive heard MANY already say it looks to Hokey,,which it does,,LIKE The Avengers did,,the look of the film doesnt seem to bad,but the Feel,and story,and characters,,its not gonna work,,,oh well,,Could be wrong,,but im betting Im not.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
According to Dark Horizons, they've shortened the title to simply The League.
Guess they finally noticed the lady in their midst...

Phil Florian

Screenwriter

...which is incorrect (at least in terms of the comic book). The book is clearly a male-titled book in a male dominated England yet the group's strongest character is the woman (who has no superpowers...movie vampire be damned) who leads them. And this is why I can't get behind the movie. Ugh. They just don't get it. They probably dropped the original becaues the LXG didn't ring with anyone. They should just drop the movie entirely and save us all a couple hours (because, no matter how much I complain about this dog-to-be, I will still see it...grrrr...).

Phil

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I can't say I like the change in titles either. Still, I'm still going to see it. I'll just have to put Alan Moore's version way in the back and lock it up so it doesn't ruin this movie for me. :D
Jason

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Really? Hmmm, when i saw the trailer, the exact words in my head were "what the hell was that? Stupidest.. name.. ever" :D I dont know, i hear its quite decent... BUt then again, im not really a movie buff, so what the hell do i know :p)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks