What's new

Pre-Order The Last Valley (1971) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
81iNLDeVjIL._SX522_.jpg

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I hope desperately that decent elements have been found for this transfer. For me - and a few others - this will be an essential purchase. I'm very much looking forward to watching this.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I hope desperately that decent elements have been found for this transfer. For me - and a few others - this will be an essential purchase. I'm very much looking forward to watching this.

Same here, this one should at least turn out decent as it used to look fantastic.

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
From "that other forum", here is the Kino Insider's description of the source material for THE LAST VALLEY:

"The 35mm IP for THE LAST VALLEY was unfortunately is horrible shape, but we knew there were a couple of good surviving prints maybe available to us, including a Joe Dante one. We scanned Mr. Dante's print and a better one in 2K, mixed and matched the two prints to create the best available Best Lite and spent dozens (if not hundreds) of hours on color correction and cleanup. The overall transfer looks good and sounds very good and I think the fans of the film will be happy with the release.

The original camera negative is 65mm. No one knows if its in good or bad shape. All major studios require 65mm to be scanned in 8K and remastered in 4K, so the cost of those transfers would've been low to mid six figures and potentially as high as a million dollars. And no one in their right mind would spend anything close to that."

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
The original camera negative is 65mm. No one knows if its in good or bad shape. All major studios require 65mm to be scanned in 8K and remastered in 4K, so the cost of those transfers would've been low to mid six figures and potentially as high as a million dollars. And no one in their right mind would spend anything close to that."
So we need an extremely rich person who spends money uncontrollably without any possibility of return? Paging Mike Bloomberg . . .

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
I have a UK dvd which is 4.3 mono. I hope that this new version has a stereo track.
I saw a 70mm extract of this a few years ago in bradford and the print still had a bit of colour and the 6 track stereo was fantastic.

John Skoda

Second Unit
I have a UK dvd which is 4.3 mono. I hope that this new version has a stereo track.
I saw a 70mm extract of this a few years ago in bradford and the print still had a bit of colour and the 6 track stereo was fantastic.

I think stereo is important in this case and not just a frill. A lot of attention is always given to the director's intent as to aspect ratio and color and such, but not as much with original sound. The director of this film went to the trouble of making it in Todd-AO, which says to me he expected people to see it on a big screen with the multi-channel sound mix he worked on.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Custer of the West and Krakatoa East of Java released in 70mm Cinerama 6-track stereo sound are mono on Blu-ray.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Kino's Song of Norway is in stereo, so you never know. It's not really their call - they don't own the elements, so they're at the mercy of those that do.

john a hunter

Screenwriter
If as they said Kino used 70mm prints as part of their transfer, then surely there is hope of the 6 track also being used.
Custer and Krakatoa were I believe sourced direct from Disney.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Mono will be a dealbreaker!

These smaller labels like KL, Shout Factory, Twilight Time etc. are doing their best using whatever elements exist or are provided to them. People clamor for some highly desired titles but when these titles are released, they get criticized because the transfer is too blue, it's not in stereo, it's not the full length version, it's not the director's cut, it's not the Roadshow version, it's transferred from a 35 millimeter print instead of a 70 millimeter print, it's in 2 track stereo instead of 4 track stereo etc. etc. etc. Why they still bother at all is a miracle to me. I'm crestfallen that Song Of Norway isn't the Roadshow version that I saw opening week in San Francisco. It's a bummer. But it's not a deal breaker for me because I want it. If the lack of a stereo track is a deal breaker for you, then you just didn't want it bad enough.

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
If as they said Kino used 70mm prints as part of their transfer, then surely there is hope of the 6 track also being used..

Where did you hear that Kino was using 70mm prints? From the Insider's description that I quoted in message #4 above, I assume those were 35mm prints that were used.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks