What's new

The Last Unicorn, on DVD??? (1 Viewer)

Charles S

Agent
I was wondering if anyone has heard anything about the animated film The Last Unicorn ever coming out on DVD?
It was released in theaters, in I think 1981, and had the voice talents of jeff Bridges, Mia Farrow and I believe Alan Arkin. (to name just a few)
I remember seeing this when I was a kid, and when it came out on video I watched the thing many, many times! I also recall there being two versions of the movie...the one I saw at the theaters as a kid wasn't as long as when I saw it a few years later on TV which had extended scenes in several places...I think AMC may have aired the extended version about 6 or 7 years ago one time, but I've not seen it on TV in at least 5 years, maybe longer!
I always thought this was one of the best animated Fantasy films that's ever been made, it always ade me feel I was in that fantasy world. It also had a great villain (actually two)
I may be the only person to want to see this, but I still think this is one of the better Fantasy films I've seen!
So, does anyone know who owns the rights to this movie, and if there is any talk of it ever being released on DVD?
(hopefully as a Special Edition..lol!)
Charles S

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
This was a cool show.
I still have my VHS copy of it.
I would buy it on DVD.
A special edition would be cool, but not necessary. Just give it to me on a disc :)

Charles S

Agent
Oh absolutely I'd be more than happy with a bare bones DVD...I just couldn't resist adding it would be nice to have a few extra features...;)
but I'd definitely buy the disc even if it was just movie and nothing else!
:)
Charles S

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Rankin-Bass' finest hour. Decent animation, nice character design, good story, songs by America. This was an ITC/Lord Lew Grade production, and its last incarnation on video (tape) was through some obscure company which I guess has since bitten the dust. It's never been released properly. Fox owned the rights for a time. Have no idea who might now...

Joel C

Screenwriter
I heart this movie. I haven't seen it for a few years, but I remember really liking it, and it was creepy too. The Red Bull and the creepy king and the talking skeleton and the Harpie...

Flight of Dragons was interesting too, with the real life/board game premise.

Jo_C

Second Unit
The rights to "The Last Unicorn" are now held by Carlton International Media (which acquired the ITC library), so the home video rights would now lie with Artisan/Family Home Entertainment, which currently has an output deal with Carlton.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I sent an e-mail to Artisan last August asking them for information on this, and never got any sort of reply.

Time to try again, eh?

Oliver Kopp

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Oliver
It was released here in Germany in November 2001.
It contains the Englisch and German dub and has a nice anamorphic picture.
more information here
I love this movie and picked up the disc without thinking twice. I usually don`t buy Code 2 discs but I just had to have this one :b

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
If it's Artisan, better be sure and let them know we want OAR and 16x9 for this one. I've seen too many great films released poorly through their studio to feel secure!
-dave
p.s. Oliver,
that's great news. Maybe I'll finally get my region free player :)
Let's hope if there's a nice 16x9 R2 transfer that Artisan will make use of it or at least step up the plate and match it's P.Q.

Charles S

Agent
Wow, I agree, that's great news it's been released somewhere! :)
Unfortunately I don't have a multi-region player, but maybe this is some forshadowing to it's American release on DVD!
I think I'll be contacting Artisan via email just so my voice is heard, no matter how small it is to them! :=)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Well, way back when, when the first T2 disc was being released, it was an email campaign (probably 20-30 emails) started by me :) that prompted them (at the time they were "LIVE entertainment") to forgo the 4x3 lbxed "flipper" disc that had planned and instead offer a great new 16x9 transfer and the world's first RSDL DVD.
If they could do justice to this wonderful animated film I would be so happy.
Please forward any letter you send to them here so we can read it, along with the contact info. I'll send them an email too if I don't have to jump through hoops to get all the info.
thanks!
dave :)

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
I believe the UK Classic/Folk/Rock group RENAISSANCE did a score for this, only to find that theirs was left out and the music by AMERICA was used instead. Be cool if they included both.

Sarah S

Second Unit
I thought I was the only one who had ever heard of/loved this film! I would do a great deal to own this on dvd; I think now is this time to start lobbying the spouse with how we desperately need a multi-region dvd player. :)
This movie is connected to all kinds of sentimenal nostalgia for me. When I found out it was adapted from a novel (by the author!) I had to borrow it from my local library. It was my first adult book (or book from the adult section) & helped start me on the path of all kinds of sci-fi/fantasy weirdness.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks