What's new

The Last of Us (2023) - Season 1 (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I backed off this thread (but kept up with the show) because I didn't want to be just a thread crapper.

My final opinions are that it was an interesting enough premise but not a very well-told tale. The casting/acting was great. And the production looked like a million bucks.

But, for me, the idea of telling this story in ways that often mimicked the way it was told in the video game was a bad idea. Just as film treatments of classic novels (or other different source materials) require adjustments, more adjustments should have been made here. In the finale, as one example, Joel shooting up everyone in the hospital (except those two nurses) to escape with Ellie was long and drawn out and looked just like a first-person shooter video game. It was brutal and yet dull at the same time. The early scenes of the finale featuring Ellie's mother were tremendous. I thought the actress (who I realize is the actress who voiced Ellie in the game) mimicked Ellie's American accent perfectly. But, I think I would have been much more vested in Ellie's (and Joel's) journey if I had known those details much earlier on.

Imagine if the time spent on the shoot-em-up in the hospital was used to expose more of Ellie's psychological trauma of what she went through in the prior episode. That might've been a little more interesting to us viewers.

I am reminded of how much I hated the wonderful story of Little Women when I watched the 2019 version. Changing up the timeline in the way that familiar tale was told really made no sense for me towards improving the understanding of the motivations of the characters. I found it confusing. And I think with a more straightforward script without all the side stories (however compelling they may be) to build more of a traditional "buddy film" with all the wonderful underpinnings of Joel's and Ellie's sense of failure and loss in their previous relationships, this could have been a truly epic series.

So while there was MUCH to like, I feel like when matched to its potential, it fell short.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I backed off this thread (but kept up with the show) because I didn't want to be just a thread crapper.

My final opinions are that it was an interesting enough premise but not a very well-told tale. The casting/acting was great. And the production looked like a million bucks.

But, for me, the idea of telling this story in ways that often mimicked the way it was told in the video game was a bad idea. Just as film treatments of classic novels (or other different source materials) require adjustments, more adjustments should have been made here. In the finale, as one example, Joel shooting up everyone in the hospital (except those two nurses) to escape with Ellie was long and drawn out and looked just like a first-person shooter video game. It was brutal and yet dull at the same time. The early scenes of the finale featuring Ellie's mother were tremendous. I thought the actress (who I realize is the actress who voiced Ellie in the game) mimicked Ellie's American accent perfectly. But, I think I would have been much more vested in Ellie's (and Joel's) journey if I had known those details much earlier on.

Imagine if the time spent on the shoot-em-up in the hospital was used to expose more of Ellie's psychological trauma of what she went through in the prior episode. That might've been a little more interesting to us viewers.

I am reminded of how much I hated the wonderful story of Little Women when I watched the 2019 version. Changing up the timeline in the way that familiar tale was told really made no sense for me towards improving the understanding of the motivations of the characters. I found it confusing. And I think with a more straightforward script without all the side stories (however compelling they may be) to build more of a traditional "buddy film" with all the wonderful underpinnings of Joel's and Ellie's sense of failure and loss in their previous relationships, this could have been a truly epic series.

So while there was MUCH to like, I feel like when matched to its potential, it fell short.
So I take it then you won’t be purchasing nor spotlighting the 4K UHD in the Weekly Roundup when it’s released in July?;)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Final thoughts (this is merely my opinion, so take that it for what it is worth, which ain't much):

Started out great but had too many filler episodes that did little to advance the story. Ending was great.
I guess it’s true what they say: One man’s filler is another man’s best episodes of the season and superb character exploration. :)

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Joel shooting up everyone in the hospital (except those two nurses) to escape with Ellie was long and drawn out and looked just like a first-person shooter video game. It was brutal and yet dull at the same time.

I was a wee bit skeptical that Joel was able to single handedly take out that whole, heavily armed firefly unit at the hospital. In a video game when you can magically heal your gunshot wounds with a first aid kit, sure why not, but in a “real world” setting? I know Joel isn’t a rookie when it comes to killing it still

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
And to end cold with Ellie processing and accepting Joel’s lie. I hate it and I love it.

She accepted his lie, but I'm not convinced she necessarily believed it. The look on her face seemed to me to be her questioning whether to tear Joel a new one or be happy that he was willing to sacrifice humanity for her.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
TLOU was getting headline-spoilers Monday morning on the sites I daily visit. I had to start watching Sunday for my own enjoyment.

For various reasons, I wasn't able to watch the last two episodes until last night. But I'm generally not much of a spoilerphobe, though it turned out I wasn't spoiled about anything I'd consider significant.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
One inconsistency that sticks out...

Marlene explains that the Cordyceps that had infected Ellie created chemical markers that tagged her as already infected, so other Infecteds wouldn't attack her. So why did she get attacked in the mall with Riley? Unless I'm missing or forgetting something, that's where the scar on her arm came from.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
One inconsistency that sticks out...

Marlene explains that the Cordyceps that had infected Ellie created chemical markers that tagged her as already infected, so other Infecteds wouldn't attack her. So why did she get attacked in the mall with Riley? Unless I'm missing or forgetting something, that's where the scar on her arm came from.

The scar was from the Mall attack. I took Marlene's explanation of Ellie's immunity in more "biological" terms. The Cordyceps infection, once introduced into Ellie's body was what "recognized" the chemical markers, not the Infected who attacked her. Remember, Ellie was bitten a second time by one of the Clickers at the Museum in episode two.

That is splitting hairs I realize and it seems to suggest that those who are fully Infected would re-attack humans during the 'gestation' period for a Cordyceps infection within the freshly bitten individual.

- Walter.

Alex...

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex Czaplicki
Season 2 promo poster

FrmLRLyaEAEwKxm

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
To follow up on the immunity discussion, one thing I forgot to mention was that Marlene, while asking Joel about how long Ellie might survive, poses the scenario that she might be "ripped apart by the Infected." The implication being that the chemical markers are an infection preventative, but not proof against physical attacks by the Infected.

Regarding Joel Wick :) in the hospital, I thought it was a bit of a stretch that he could dispatch so many individuals; but the series has repeatedly stressed just how dangerous Joel is when he has zero F's to give, so I went with it. Obviously it demonstrated the lengths that Joel would go to so as not to lose another daughter, so I felt like it did communicate (in some ways) the bond between Joel and Ellie.

- Walter.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Watched the final episode last night.

Been forever since I played the game so I had forgotten exactly how it ended. I do remember the hospital sequence that comes at the end of it.

I also echo that it did come off as Joel Wick and very unrealistic.

I also have a question as to why, at the beginning of the episode, Ellie was completely mentally unattached to Joel up to the point she comes across the giraffe.

Overall, an excellent series. One of the best we watched this year.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I also have a question as to why, at the beginning of the episode, Ellie was completely mentally unattached to Joel up to the point she comes across the giraffe.

Ellie was still dealing with the trauma she experienced in episode eight at the hands of David and his group. Even though some time had passed, it was plain that she was mildly broken by her encounter, even after some recovery time.

(How long does it take to walk from Silverlake, CO. to Salt Lake City, UT?)

- Walter.

Last edited:

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
The rules the show has established are that Ellie cannot be infected because of these "markers" and the infected still attack her. FEDRA devices can still detected the fungus in her but, at least one dog cannot. Those are the rules of the show and sometimes we just have to go with it and accept it. Trying to apply real world logic to a fictional show can be an exercise in futility. Why, well...

In our real world, there would be no way for a doctor to know 100% that whatever is in Ellie would definitely make a "cure". That's just not how the scientific process works for these things. The doctor wouldn't be "so close" and just needing that last piece of the puzzle and poof, in walks Ellie an the world is saved. This is magic TV science.

A real doctor/scientist might feel really confident but, whatever they would extract from Ellie would then have to go through hundreds of test and trials before thy really knew what they had. So, in a real world scenario, they would be sacrificing this girl for just a chance at a cure. If there is only a chance, and they fail, that means they could sacrifice her for nothing. If the game/show had gone this route, that makes Joel's actions a lot less gray.

So, I really don't have a problem with the show "bending" science to fit the narrative they want to tell. I'm fine with it, it is a fictional game, with a fictional infection using a fictional solution. In this world, Ellie is immune but still gets attacked and her sacrifice would 100% result in a cure. And I would still save my "child" and do exactly what Joel did.

As for Joel "Wick"... This is one area that I think did not translate well from game to show. In the game, you've played as Joel and done similar things a number of times before you get to the hospital. You've cleared out plenty of rooms/buildings, both full of infected and humans. The hospital level kicks it up a notch by increasing the number of people but, the point is you are use to seeing Joel take down groups of enemies with precision. The show cuts out 90% of the action so some of this is lost in its storytelling.

Season 2 is going to have to be different in that aspect. For Part II's story to work, the violence has to be shown.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
This is magic TV science.
You mean kinda like how Ellie was able to save Joel from a traumatic deep puncture wound to the gut (made by a splintered wooden baseball bat handle) with some thread and some random jabs of penicillin into the immmediate wound area? :laugh:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks