What's new

The House Without A Christmas Tree (1 Viewer)

Lenny Rakes

Stunt Coordinator
This was just one of four TV holiday movies in a series produced by CBS Playhouse in the 1970's. It was about a young girl by the name of Addie Mills who reminisces about growing up in a Nebraska town with her widowed father and grandmother. The role of the father was played by Jason Robarbs (Once Upon A Time in the West) and Mildred Natwick (The Quite Man) was cast in the role of the grandmother. I know it is too late to see the four movies released on DVD this year, but I thought I start this post to get the interest rolling for the next holiday season.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Lenny:

I wonder if THIS LISTING at amazon.com is a foreboding of good things to come?

I loved this show as well. I remember the last time I saw it air a coupla years ago, I was taken by how stark and silent the soundtrack was.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
That's too funny. I THOUGHT I had seen it out on DVD...but when I did the quick check of amazon.com and saw there was no real release date given...I figured I must have been mistaken.

You can bet I'll be looking for it now! :D

Although I still cannot find an e-tailer who carries it. Even a check of walmart.com finds only a VHS copy.

Eric Vedowski

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
I can't find anything on this either. If anyone has any further info on it I hope you'll post it here. I won't have time to hit Wal Mart until this weekend.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I did look in both a Target and an FYE since this thread started...and come up dry. Of course, Christmas displays are slim pickings right now.

Hermey

Auditioning
WilliamMC, did you see House Without a Xmas Tree at WalMart on DVD or VHS? I love this special, which I watch every year during Xmas on VHS. Would love to upgrade to DVD. I've looked for it every year around Xmas at various retailers, but they continue to only sell the VHS. I'd like to see the other Addie specials on DVD, too. There is a sweet note on amazon.com (at the listing for the VHS version) from the actress who played Addie.

Peace and Love,

Hermey

markc

Grip
I also love this Christmas special! I have had the tape for some time now and have been hoping it would be released on DVD. It might be an issue of quality. The show was originally produced on 2" video tape. You can tell by noticing the color banding in some sections of the show that was a common issue with that tape format.

Hopefully someday it will be released! There was also a thanksgiving special with the same cast that I cant find anywhere.

markc

Grip
I actually found and ordered the Thanksgiving and Easter special they did on Amazon.com. It comes packaged together for $40 on VHS. I liked the Thanksgiving special but never saw the Easter one. The Thanksgiving special is called "The Holiday Treasure" and the Easter one is "The Easter Promise"

WilliamMc

Stunt Coordinator
It was on the Chistmas rack with the other christmas DVDs. I believe it was a dvd but will have to confirm this.

Jim Dalton

Stunt Coordinator
I googled the movie and came across an Amazon link with this little remark:

Availability: This title will be released on December 31, 1969. You may order it now and we will ship it to you when it arrives.

:D

Tooooo funny.

JeffWld

Stunt Coordinator

You also have to purchase the Amazon Time Machine with these discs.

I've seen that message a number of times for titles they list that have no known release date. It's obviously a default they need to correct.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Checked in one of my local Wal-Marts tonight. No copies of The House Without a Christmas Tree on either DVD or VHS.

I DID pick up Out of Africa and MacArthur, though, for $4.88 apiece in their cheapie Universal flix display! :emoji_thumbsup: I love a bargain! :D

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
These are great.
I bought the VHS editions of HOUSE WITHOUT A CHRISTMAS TREE
and HOLIDAY (thanksgiving)TREASURE
and EASTER PROMISE back in the mid 90's.

CBS showed these throughout the 1970's.
On Christmas morning in 87 or 88 (can't remember which),
they showed a highly edited version of HOUSE WITHOUT A CHRISTMAS tree that not only cut scenes, but the construction papered collage pictures that began and ended most of the scenes.
It was this version that i had for many years.

Anyhow, well worth releasing.
Marvelous scripts and performances.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm beginning to think WilliamMc was smokin' something funny! :D

I've looked in several different Wal-Marts and have found no House Without a Christmas Tree in either DVD or VHS. I've also looked in other stores such as Target, etc.

Too bad.

Lenny Rakes

Stunt Coordinator
With the holiday season nearing us again, I thought I would resurrect this thread, to see if anybody besides me would still like to see this classic series come to DVD.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Lenny: I'm still with ya! :emoji_thumbsup: Keep up your mission!

I just checked that Amazon link I posted back in Post #2 of this thread and realized there is a "Spotlight Review" from Lisa Lucas (Addie) herself! Neat! And, there are 72 customer reviews!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks