What's new

The Greater Cleveland (Ohio) Area Meet Thread V.1 (1 Viewer)

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Hey guys,

Welcome Willie! That's one helluva set-up! Yes, you can definitely invite Tim to come along. Maybe he'll be able to help design a home theater for me. I like what I've done so far, but have a ways to go yet. I hope you all like it!

Finding the place won't be a problem either. I live on the same street as John Marshall! I'll PM you soon.

Ferdinand,

I can make it Sat. around 5-6 am if you'd like. That's when I'll be rolling in from work. Although I probably will still be awake around noon too. Not sure about Sunday. But, there's a good chance for that too. What time is good on Saturday, exactly? And what ever happened to that girl?:D

Ok, gotta go to work soon!
George

Mike Wladyka

Supporting Actor
Welcome WillieM

i am looking forward to meeting all of you guys on the 22nd

george, thanks for directions...i am in that area a couple times a week, more specificly at gunning park rec.

Mike

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
Ferdinand......

Just monitoring the Cleveland group!!

Not a good idea listing your home address on the post. Best done via e-mail.

You never know how is reading this, and you have some really nice gear!!

REMOVE YOUR ADDRESS IMEDIATELY!!

From your Cincy area friend, Alan!!

Ferdinand*T

Second Unit
I took it off thanks for the heads up Alan. Hey George I'll be ready for you at 11:00 so feel free to drop by. Also I spoke to my boss about having the 22 off and I got the green light.

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Hey guys,

Now that I have wasted about 16 hours of my life getting my computer to work again, couldn't use Windows functions at all, and then finally lost internet access, (at least I was able to help Ferdinand out) I'll give you a little bio.

I am 29, but about to be 30, and I live in, um, Cleveland, Ohio with my two dogs. I was living with my fiance, but unfortunately she became very ill and is currently in a nursing home rehabilitating. The good news is that she has made some huge strides towards recovery and where I once thought she'd never return home, now there's a very good possibility that she will. It has been a little over a year and a half since she's been away from home. At first, I wasn't doing too well with what was going on, but thankfully, I have some really great friends and family that helped me pull through (including some really great guys in the Cincy area!).

I also used my interest in HT to distract me. Last February, after being online for a couple of months for the first time, I discoverd my favorite forum-The HTF! This led me to AVS as well and between both forums, I have learned so, so much, I can't believe I thought I knew anything before I found this place! And I haven't even touched on the amount of things to know. But, I sure as hell am going to have fun adding the knowledge. Without these forums, if I would have spent the money I already have, I'd have half the theater easy. Although, without these forums, I wonder if I would have purchased anything...damn upgraditis!:D

The friends I have met in here are another benefit which is one motivation for putting a meet together. Meeting new guys with a HT hobby in this area is cool. It's nice to have friend's that understand spending ($$$$HOW MUCH?!!!
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif
) on a pair of speakers or tv or whatever. The Cincy guys are great and I'll be continuing to participate in their meets and I'll be inviting them down (up, right, Dave:D ) here after a couple of more upgrades.

I added my equipment list in the first post. In addition to the new stuff I've bought, I also added new lights in my living room and put them on a remote control dimming switch. I still have to mount my projector which I should have finished before the meet (I have to!) and install an electrical outlet in the ceiling for the projector. That shouldn't be too bad since I am an electrician. Although, residential work seems harder than commercial for some reason. Remodel-wise anyway. It's probably the lack of experience, this is only my fifth year in the trade.

Ok, now that I've bored you to death, I'll let you go. I'll get some pics or a link to pics up soon. I want to mount the projector first. (The SVS cardboard box wouldn't pass the WAF!)

See you soon,
George

P.S. Willie, did you get the directions ok? Is Tim coming? Is he registered in the forum? If so, ask him to post here.

P.P.S. Could you guys let me know what kind of beverages you'd like? No suggestions and I might think Hi-C juice boxes are fine for ya'll!:D

P.P.P.S I can't leave without mentioning that Ferdinand's system is coming along very nicely. Sounds awesome and his SVS really shakes the room. His MacFarlane collection is very cool as well.

Ferdinand*T

Second Unit
Thanks for the compliments George and I was glad to have you over and see it. George stopped by with his new camera and I got to take pictures of my HT.

My goal was to have a great home theater and I now feel this is the case. For those who didn't see my other post I have a website/webpage or whatever you call it that I created so show and express my interest for this hobby. I've updated so the pictures I took yesterday are on there already. So check out it. Here is a link. Everything you'll see will be pretty much the same except for the TV. I'll be upgrading that around spring.

http://matrix_maximus.tripod.com/fer...shometheater2/

WillieM

Stunt Coordinator
Ferdinand,
I couldn't link to your site with the posted link. The error says that the underscore is an illegal character in the URL.Maybe it's my system. I'd really like to see those pics though.

George,

I'm a coffee/iced tea and soft drink kind of guy. Nothin special here. Let us know if we should bring anything to the gathering.

Bill

Ferdinand*T

Second Unit
Hmmmm.... Do you see the icons above my post? If so click on the first icon which looks like a house. It should take you there. If not here is a link to the pictures on Yahoo. That's wierd it should have taken you to the site, can anyone else not get it to work? I think Tripod might be updating or something. It loads for me but its doing it very very slowly.

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mat...r=/New+Theater

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
I didn't check the link yet, since I took the pics, but I do want to see the previous set-up so I will after work.

I have my projector mounted!!!!! It's weird not sqeezing by the SVS box and the couch to make it to the bathroom. I still find myself getting ready to turn it's been so long:) .

I still have some patch work to do. My ceiling was so out of level, that I had to make a 17" X 13 " hole in it! I took pics too. I might have some posted tomorrow if I get some homework done at work tonight. I have school this week so that'll delay me getting anything done since I always put off the homework until a few days before class.

Great, talk to you all later.
George

P.S. Ferdinand, Mike, Tim, and anyone else who might join in, so far I've heard coffee, iced tea, of soft drinks (is Pepsi good, Willie?) what would you guys like to have?

Ferdinand*T

Second Unit
George,

Glad you got your projector mounted now all you need to do is calibrate it!

Pepsi is fine, some pizza would be good too. I can put in a few bucks.

I have a question for you. I have all my gear connected to a $20 powerstrip with is connected to an extension cord because the outlet is too far. Do I have to worry about any of my equipment being short changed when it needs power? Should I invest in a Monster Par Bar that allows more current and has inputs made exclusively for certain equipment to make sure that when any of my equipment needs power its there?

I haven't invested in a good powerstrip because I can't get a damn ground in my house to save my life. My AC outlets in the living and dinning room don't have 3 prong inputs. I tried plugging the strip in that room next to the living room but the damn wire fault light turns on. I than tried the AC outlets in my old room and one seems to work fine. Problem is its to far away and when I run an extension cord the red light turns on. Why is this?

In the mean time I unplug the strip when I not using the home theater so nothing gets damaged due to power surges. Which is starting to become a pain in the ass. Is there anything I can do to leave it plugged in without having to worry about damage if I don't have a ground?

Last but not least,

Show your pics! Show your pics! Show you pics! :D

WillieM

Stunt Coordinator
Ferdinand,

The other link wouldn't work for me either but I did check it out on the Yahoo link. Nice stuff!

George,

Yes Pepsi is fine( I run on regular- any of the un-leaded stuff will gum up the works:)

Mike Wladyka

Supporting Actor
George, soft drinks are good by me...congrats on mounting the projector...what xbox games you got? you got DOA3...i take it you have most of the newer good movies (LOTR, Matrix, etc), i will bring some of mine...just trying to get a feel for what you have

Ferdinand, nice stuff you got there

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Mike,

Yes, I have a lot of the newer "big" movies like Matrix, LOTR, etc. T-3 today! Finding Nemo, Lion King. There's a couple of the newer ones I didn't buy yet. Anyway, bring whatever you want, if I have it, doesn't mean I have to bring it out.

I don't have many X-Box games. ESPN Football, DOA3, Madden, Outlaw Volleyball and Golf, Blade, SSX Tricky, Unreal Championship (maybe LaMarcus can rent it on the 22nd so we can play him online! Unless, he has it, he didn't before.), maybe one or two more.

Ok, gotta do some patchwork!
George

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Sorry Ferdinand,

I didn't log on right away and just read the e-mail notice. I guess I just read right over that question!! As for the Powerstrip, I don't know anything about those yet. I haven't researched them, but am going to need one soon. As for the grounding in your house, I'll stop by sometime and check it out and we'll see what we can do. It shouldn't be too difficult to add a grounded outlet in your room.

What pics?:D

George

P.S. Kevin Johnson is released?!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks