What's new

International The Gang's All Here - Masters of Cinema Region B (1 Viewer)

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
haineshisway said:
And I agree with Mr. Hare - there are so many great things coming out in other regions and there are very inexpensive all-region players to be had - why wouldn't you get one? I have both the Oppo 93 and the 103 and love them both.
I have one, not problem there. Just a slight preference to region free discs.
david hare said:
Yes it is. The trio of commentators recall and discuss both the 1972 and 1992 screenings in NYC of his IB print. The point in the film this happens is the finale of the Lady in the Tutti Fruity Hat number and the beginning of the Staten Island Ferry number (which contains the one and only 35 second shot which has extremely minor three strip fringing .)
Glenn Kenny and Eric Hulse, both native New Yorkers knew the print well, and Hulse had some organizational duties for the 92 event basically "chaperoning"" Alice Faye for the show and post screening love fest. This is one of the rarest of commentaries, like Eddie MUllers' always wonderful Noir tracks, absolutely compelling because everyone is both a dedicated cinephile able to discuss film language and Berkely's huge role in American movies with great insight, and of course their formidable industry knowledge is also compelling. But one's has to fight the desire to keep switching back to the Warren score and the Fox band in preference.

David Cairn's long booklet essay is also a killer piece of hilariouslty funny, abstruse analysis. David has a wicked sense of humor which I know well from elsewhere. I once called him my favorite straight gay man (And saluted his lovely wife.) Perhaps I am his favorite gay straight man?

But mere sexualities take second place to the miracle that is Gang's All Here.
Appreciate the details here. Look forward to owning the blu-ray.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
I must admit to being unfamiliar with Mr. David Hare but, based on this thread alone, I'm pretty sure I'm in love...

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Just as good as Mr. Hare says. Color is amazing. Can someone fill me in on Carmen Miranda's nose? Because boy can you see the wacky make-up on it and I just can't tell what's what.

The film is so odd on so many levels, but boy is it entertaining. And Charlotte Greenwood dancing - I practically fell off the couch when she did the high kicks. And that gal who does the specialty dance with all the flips and tumbles - my mouth was agape, oh, yes, my mouth was agape. And Busby Berkeley - was this man certifiably insane? No one like him before or since.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Will Krupp said:
I must admit to being unfamiliar with Mr. David Hare but, based on this thread alone, I'm pretty sure I'm in love...
Well Will, without giving away our ages, I might say that my partner Robyn and I have known David for well on 50 years (!) and he is charming, erudite, viciously witty and great company. HTF does attract the best people .....

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
haineshisway said:
Just as good as Mr. Hare says. Color is amazing. Can someone fill me in on Carmen Miranda's nose? Because boy can you see the wacky make-up on it and I just can't tell what's what.

The film is so odd on so many levels, but boy is it entertaining. And Charlotte Greenwood dancing - I practically fell off the couch when she did the high kicks. And that gal who does the specialty dance with all the flips and tumbles - my mouth was agape, oh, yes, my mouth was agape. And Busby Berkeley - was this man certifiably insane? No one like him before or since.
I think Esther Williams would have certainly agreed on him being 'certifiably insane'. Ringing Esther up at something like 2:00am in the morning and telling her that he'd cooked up a gangbusters skiing finale for "Easy to Love", in which she would be required to dive off a trapeze suspended 80 feet above the water. Needless to say, Esther was wise to request a stunt double for that. :)

bluirv

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Irv Haas
I agree with all of you. This is the best that this title is ever going to look short of a Technicolor print!

If you're still on the fence, The Gangs All Here is reason enough to buy a multi-region player!

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
classicmovieguy said:
I think Esther Williams would have certainly agreed on him being 'certifiably insane'. Ringing Esther up at something like 2:00am in the morning and telling her that he'd cooked up a gangbusters skiing finale for "Easy to Love", in which she would be required to dive off a trapeze suspended 80 feet above the water. Needless to say, Esther was wise to request a stunt double for that. :)
Very wise since the stunt diver was injured in that sequence. Am I right in thinking Esther Williams was pregnant at the time? A potentially dangerous dive indeed....

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Yes Esther was pregnant, which required all the swimming scenes to be filmed very quickly at the start of the schedule. I think Esther looks at her absolute loveliest in "Easy to Love".

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Mine arrived on 9/29. I cannot add anything to the comments already posted about this Blu-ray other than I am another person thoroughly delighted with the picture quality and bonus content! The commentary is great and the text in the booklet is laugh out loud delicious.
Will Krupp said:
Amazon UK? They usually make to me here in Boston in three to four days...I think it's supah dupah quick (especially considering the Agatha Christie set I ordered from Italy took weeeeeekks....)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks