What's new

The Fog remake by John Carpenter & Debra Hill ???? (1 Viewer)

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
http://www.creature-corner.com/news2/aug30thefog.php3
By Ryan Rotten
A remake on the other hand…that’s a completely different story.
For the past couple of months (feels like forever) I’ve been following up on some buzz circulating around a ‘Fog’ sequel developing at Universal Studios. Strapped with a low budget, the sequel was aimed for the straight-to-video market very much like Universal’s successful ‘Tremors’ franchise. The rights holders who envisioned a larger-budgeted ‘The Fog’ remake quickly scrapped those plans.
So who controls the rights? Who is crazy enough to think ‘Fog’ remake?
Debra Hill and John Carpenter (duh), who share the rights with Canal Plus. In the strangest turn of events for the horror world since the idea of a ‘Dawn of the Dead’ remake, the duo are currently pitching a ‘Fog’ remake idea about Hollywood. Sources claim they’re estimating a $20-30 million dollar budget. Now, this doesn’t necessarily mean Carpenter will direct the project himself, it just means the two will take some part in it whether it’s writing or producing duties (or both).
I wish there was more to say, but I think that’s enough. Whether it’ll ever see fruition or not is purely on whether Hollywood thinks it’s that time to start tapping the ‘80s for remakes. In the back of our decrepit little minds, I think we all know how Hollywood thinks.
Nothing is sacred. Expect your ‘Howling’ “re-imagining” right around the corner…
------------------------------------------------------------
There is more at the above link.
Absolutely fascinating if this turns out to be true.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
This is certainly a situation where a remake doesn't need to be made. The original Fog holds up quite well, and a remake seem pointless to me. It's all but a guarantee the remake will be worse than the original.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
For someone who really needs to get his career back on track, Carpenter needs to stay away from anything like this. :thumbsdown:

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
THE FOG is so dang good, so unless its a direct sequel, I wouldn't care to see a remake at all! Come on, John, that sequel to VAMPIRES sucked! If you're going to do something, do a sequel to THE THING or BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA!

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
For someone who really needs to get his career back on track
I think part of Carpenter's problem is he has too much money now. He is much better when he has limited funds and has to maximize it to get the best result.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
1.1 million for THE FOG! Even for circa 1979 bucks, that's amazing, but once you've struggled with a small budget I doubt if you would turn down a few extra million dollars for your budget. Actually, I kind of thought that Carpenter went a little "old school" with the FX for GHOSTS OF MARS, going with models instead of CGI.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I think he is forcing it though, the low budget approach. I think he is trying to falsely capture the low-budget magic despite having some money. Same thing with Escape from LA which looked even more cheap than EfNY. It's like he is trying to manufacture that low budget look, and it just doesn't come off right.

I sure would love to see JC have at least one more classic in him though.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
I say he should try a western with a horror theme, maybe a Lovecraft meets John Wayne sort of thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks