What's new

The extended Dune on Ebay. (1 Viewer)

Rob_b

Agent
This DVD is being sold on Ebay. Has anyone seen it or have any comments about it?

This is the longest Cut of the 1982 David Lynch Movie “Dune” There have been three distinct versions of this movie “The Theatrical Version is the shortest at 140 minutes long” “The Japanese Laserdisc Version was 188 minutes this was also the version that played on TV but had 7 minutes removed for objectionable content.” “The third is this all code DVD version 194 Minutes which is 54 minutes longer than the theatrical version & 6 minutes longer than the Laser Version and restores special effects that were lacking in many of the scenes of the laser version. This is an all Region DVD in NTSC.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
they copied the Japanese LD. It was only shown on TV and goes for about $100 on LD ebay

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
There is a Japanese DVD of the extended cut, however it's about $80. Why compress yourself when you can just rip it?

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
1. It's an illegal disc.

2. It's not David Lynch's intended cut (the extended version's direction is Alan Smithee)

3. The current disc is non-anamorphic, but is the intended cut, cheaper, and has a cover you can read a lot easily (apologies if you're fluent in Korean or Chinese)

Jay Sylvester

Supporting Actor
Didn't SciFi run two different, longer cuts at one point? I seem to remember them having Dune marathons years ago where they played what they called the "3-hour director's cut" followed by the "4-hour extended version." I also remember these being shown in widescreen.

Is the 4-hour version the TV version everyone is talking about here, or is that yet another special cut? I do remember reading somewhere that Lynch originally planned for Dune to be a massive 4-hour epic, but the studio said no way. Maybe the 4-hour cut is the one that comes the closest to matching that.

Randall Dorr

Second Unit
A "3 hour director's cut" sounds like the theatrical version. That was the only version approved by Lynch. Take a 137 minute film, add some commercials, and it would be three hours.

And the "4 hour extended version" is only four hours on television. Take away those darned ads, and it's a little over three hours.

As far as showing them in widescreen: The theatrical version/director's cut is easily available in WS on VHS or DVD. Sci-Fi has lately been showing many film in their original aspect ratio. It makes sense that they would do this for Dune.
The extended version has never been available in anything other than P&S.

Jay Sylvester

Supporting Actor
Too bad Lynch won't revisit this title. An anamorphic re-release of the theatrical cut along with a fully restored and Lynch-approved 4-hour cut would be a no-brainer purchase. It would make a great 4-disc set: one disc for the original cut, two discs for the extended cut, and one disc for special features. Or no special features. I'd buy it anyway.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
It'll never happen based on what I read in this interview with sound engineer John Neff:
, and this is no offense to Mr. Coppola, but David said it just saddens him, to see the original film altered like that. When you’re done with the picture, you’re done with the picture. That’s it. So he may have wanted to see the scenes cut back in at one point, but today he says, “That’s the picture” At least that’s what he said to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks