What's new

The Everest will weigh 350+ lbs?!?! (1 Viewer)

BrianKR

Second Unit
OMG, how in the hell can you get a cabinet that size up or down a flight of stairs?

I can just see me now saying to my wife after hitting the bottom step........
"Honey, can you grab my balls on the way down here?" I think I dropped one of the 2nd step and the other some where near the 6th or 7th!:b "

I am in a panic now with trying to figure out how to get a 350+lb HDTV in my basement. I was thinking it would take at least 4 men, a rope, couple pizza's and six packs to accomplish this.

BrianKR

Second Unit
I don't own a piano:)

What I usually do is wrap blankets around heavy items and slide them down the steps. With the HDTV (or if I was to buy an Everest) I would wrap it in a blanket, tie a rope around it and slowly slide it down the steps. I built a 6 x 2ft 3/4 board with castors on it for moving around heavy items. I was just wondering what means others come up with to move around such heavy objects up or down a flight of stairs.

350+lbs is more than most people actually understand until they try to move something around weighing that much.

Bryan Michael

Supporting Actor
i got a 65 in hd tv but it was a 2 piece unit and got it delivered. all you need is 4 guys 2 at the top and 2 at the botom or you can get a piece of wood and a lifting strap and rool the tv down/up the stairs. my tv has casters on it.

A

Anthony_Gomez

Brian, how about you split the everest into two completed units and stack them:) The total enclosure will probably end up being 2.25" taller (assuming the everest has a center brace)

BTW, the everest weight probably included the drivers and PR's (most likely shipped unassembled). take off about 120lbs on hardware:)

Greg Monfort

Supporting Actor
Don't know what an 'Everest' is, but my loaded cabs weigh at least this much and I've moved them up/down stairs by myself with an appliance/moving handtruck, and I've had my back broken, so I recommend renting one. Don't know the weight of the Toshiba 65", but two 20-something men had no problem carrying it up the front porch steps.

GM

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
Actually, its closer to 400lbs ;)
FYI, it ships completely assembled so all you need to do is hook it up to the amp so it's not really a kit or DIY sub.

A

Anthony_Gomez

120lbs of drivers and another 20-30lbs of PR are in that figure:)

...and lets not forget the 100lb WBT connectors;)

Mark Seaton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark Seaton
Note that Krell's MRS is about 435 lbs. I helped install one a long while back. Also consider that Wilson's WATCH Dog subwoofer is a mere 283 lbs. and their XS subwoofer is over 700 lbs. Our professional bass horn, the BassTech7, is 235 lbs. and can me moved on one level by a single person with the dolly tray.

I will say though, 400lbs means you do have to plan how to get it into the room, and makes a good argument to switch to Baltic Birch construction or to move/ship it without the drivers in it (-120lbs).

Jeff Rosz

Second Unit
right, 350-400lbs aint sheet (well ok, it aint a feather pillow). besides, how else are you gonna mount all that hardware. it has to be that big, and if you are buying it, you *already* took its size into consideration.

TimForman

Supporting Actor
I had a Toshiba 65 delivered and the guys that brought it in used shoulder straps with hooks they could get under the TV. Then it was just a matter of walking it and using their hands to keep it level. I'm assuming this stuff is standard moving/delivery company equipment.

TimForman

Supporting Actor
Brian,
Yep, Shoulder Dolly. Say...that's a good name. I was going to call it the "Over the Shoulder Boulder Holder".

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
When I was younger I used to move appliances for friends and family and I don't where they are now but I used to use (borrowed from a friend of my dad) something very similar to the shoulder dolly (it was mostly a one person thing) and literally you strap yourself to the appliance and lean forward and crawl on all fours and easily carry about 1.5 x your body weight no problem (it's amazing when the weight is balanced and spread out) for short distances (like a flight of stairs just crawl down backwards slowly). I just wish I knew what it was called now so I could at least get you a search parameter.

You might want to ask kyle if it voids your warrantee to pull out the drivers and pr to lower weight to move your new sub.

RayJK

Stunt Coordinator
My VMPS STR III SRE are about 400lbs each and they were moved with an appliance dolly and 2 guys. Speakers are very compact and are much easier to move then a fridge or a couch.

Jeff Rosz

Second Unit
i dunno about that shoulder strap dolly thing.
there is something so coyote and roadrunner about it. :D anyone else get that feeling?

Owen Bartley

Second Unit
Shoulder? I hardly even know her!!

OK, brutal, but that and "rectum? Damn near killed him!" are still pretty funny in my book.

Anyway, that is one serious sounding sub. It's at the point of sheer madness. Let us know how your house holds up!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks