What's new

The Europeans almost in the Criterion Collection (1 Viewer)

Michael Boyd

Second Unit
Saw The Europeans at a local store today. Its under the banner The Merchant Ivory Collection. No spine number or anything. On the back Criterion and HVE both appear with their logos and wording something like produced in association with Criterion. Hadn't seen this mentioned anywhere and thought some fellow Criterion snobs might be interested. Neither have I seen The Europeans myself or many Merchant Ivory films.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Yes, Criterion/HVE are releasing a bunch of Merchant Ivory films. You can read all about it on www.criterionco.com -- it's on their home page. The Bostonians, Maurice, Bombay Talkie, Heat and Dust, and Quartet are all scheduled. They say the series will continue next year.

Hopefully we'll get a 16X9 "A Room With a View" then.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Actually, I believe The Bostonians streeted Tuesday as well.

Howard's End was scheduled as a full-blown Criterion SE a couple of years ago (the 2002 flyer has it listed as "Coming Soon"). Anyone know what the status is on this one??

Dave Simkiss

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dave Simkiss
There is at least one Criterion title that’s been released in Europe already (well Britain anyway) the Region 2, Armageddon 2 disk set has Criterion Collection on the spine of the card case and the plastic case. Although it looks to have been packaged by Buena Vista the disks them selves have the same factory markings as the Region 1 Criterion version of Armageddon.

Im willing to bet that the majority of Criterion Completeists didn’t have a clue about this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks