What's new

Press Release Criterion Press Release: Freaks / The Unknown / The Mystic: Tod Browning’s Sideshow Shockers (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
hOZoF4bCF7IzDcERWmpFpAgST1yAxY_large.jpg

The world is a carnival of criminality, corruption, and psychosexual strangeness in the twisted pre-Code shockers of Tod Browning. Early Hollywood’s edgiest auteur, Browning drew on his experiences as a circus performer to create subversive pulp entertainments set amid the world of traveling sideshows, which, with their air of the exotic and the disreputable, provided a pungent backdrop for his sordid tales of outcasts, cons, villains, and vagabonds. Bringing together two of his defining works (The Unknown and Freaks) and a long-unavailable rarity (The Mystic), this cabinet of pre-Code curiosities reveals a master of the morbid whose ability to unsettle is matched only by his daring compassion for society’s most downtrodden.

FILM INFO​

• Spine #1194

FILMS IN THIS SET​

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited:

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Congrats on FREAKS long rumored to Criterion! SO happy for you all!

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I saw Freaks at MoMA during the '74 MGM retro. They also screened The Unknown, but it was the short version, not this rediscovered long one. So I'm looking forward to it.
I've also seen The Mystic on a big screen, but I need a medium to help me remember it.
This set is a must!

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Yes, it's about time. I also saw The Mystic so long ago, I don't really remember it. But the costumes by Erte should make it worth the price of admission. Odd that there appears to be no extras, but I guess that will be announced later. Someone might ask, isn't two extra movies enough for your jaded sensibilities? But both Freaks and The Unknown are films that need a lot of elucidation, as well as context, in terms of both Browning's and Lon Chaney's careers, as well as how they came to be made, especially at MGM. I can imagine Judge Hardy busting everyone connected and riding them out of town on a rail.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
I saw FREAKS years ago, and I enjoyed it. I can’t wIt to watch it again. The documentary on the DVD was very informative… is this the same one on the Blu I wonder?

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
oooooooo the Unknown. I recorded that on VHS years ago.
Also, never heard of The Mystic.
Wishlisting...NOW! (just a test run.... waiting...)

moviepas

Supporting Actor
It was released on DVD, no?
I even had a 16mm film copy bought in the 1970s from a producer who acquired a collection from a distributor who suicided, I think. The Police in Northern Ca found my friend's details and contracted him and told him to come up and take the haul. Good quality it was too and I had never seen it until then. I believe the victim was given rights from MGM to have this film. Who knows now.

Richard Kaufman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Kaufman
I saw the longer version of "The Unknown" at Lincoln Center this spring. I think the added time was between eight and ten minutes. It did not make a material difference to the film. I saw "The Unknown" first at the National Gallery here in DC, with the Alloy Orchestra performing the score live. The DVD retains that as one of the score choices, and it's by far the best score for the film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks