What's new

The End of an Era-- Jackie Chan uses Stunt Doubles (1 Viewer)

Bill Street

Stunt Coordinator
Here's the story:

http://my.aol.com/news/news_story.ps...84&cp=awnw0805

In one way, you can't really blame the guy. He's 48 years old and he was bound to have to slow down sometimes.

But, on the other hand a big selling point of his pictures was that the stunt work was all his. I sat through some pretty silly plots in order to enjoy fine Jackie Chan stunt choreography.

Any thoughts?

Bill S.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
It is the end of an era, but not unlike what happens for many action stars (Eastwood as an example) who find themselves less capable for the physicality of their roles. The important thing is for him to play to his strengths and not to become a silly parody of himself.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
It was the whole reason for him to come to the States to do film. He knows that he's starting to "get too old for this S---", and wants to continue on with his career. It is why I expect that we will get more comedy than action from Jackie in the future. I know it is coming, so it doesn't surprise me.

Jason

Dennis Pagoulatos

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dennis
Jackie Chan has always used stunt doubles in a lot of his more elaborate action films. There some things he simply cannot do as well as an expert- high speed stunt driving, for example. Fighting, jumping from things, and falling down are his specialties though, and he usually does all of those stunts by himself, even choreographing the fights in some of his films.

I've noticed stunt doubles in a lot of his Hong Kong actioners, and I've seen probably 25 of those films. Obviously, besides his advancing age, Hollywood films have to deal with heavy insurance costs, making it impossible to allow "the star" of a film to do dangerous stunts, even if they are so inclined...

-Dennis

Felipe S

Stunt Coordinator
I've always thought that Jackie Chan could easily continue working on movies but not as an actor/stuntman. He has decades of experience making movies. He could probably do a great job directing... or maybe even collaborating as a fight choreographer or stunt coordinator. I mean, he also has his own stunt team who also have tons of experience. I feel we're gonna see a lot more of Jackie in the future, even if it's not in front of a camera.

Bill Street

Stunt Coordinator
I don't think I know of a more likeable action star. He is great at being the guy who kicks %^^$# but isn't some invulnerable superhero.

He does have great talent as a physical comedian and now that he has broken through even in Hollywood, I expect to see him in movies for years to come in whatever capacity he chooses.

Bill S.

David Rogers

Supporting Actor
He was/is amazing as a physical performer ... beyond amazing really, but age gets everyone.

I agree he should keep his team and move into chorography. Tons of movies need serious help with their fight and action sequences. Chan could provide that expertly, for decades to come.

DanielN

Stunt Coordinator
In his interview he specifically stated that for many of his stunts the producers MADE him use stunt doubles. When he does films here in the U.S. he usually has no say in the matter. With big bucks comes big sacrifice :)

Felipe S

Stunt Coordinator
He did. He has directed a number of his own pictures.
I know and he has a great job of it in the past. That's what I meant when I say he could direct. His knowledge and experience are worth a fortune IMO. He's been an actor, director, producer, choreographer, writer, singer, stuntman (stunt coordinator), etc...and who knows what else he could bring to hollywood movies.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I got to shake his left hand (too busy signing with his right hand) when he showed up at a Wal-Mart to sign his autobiography (My life in action) for me a few years ago. Nice guy. I couldn't believe the line of people waiting for him at a Wal-Mart (I had heard of the signing on the radio that very day).

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
It kinda sucks that hes not doin it all himself, but you know, the guy is almost 50 and hes not getting any younger, so I dont blame him. Im sure he still does a fare share of his own stunts though.

Deborah*T

Agent
The end of an era indeed but like everyone else has said, he is going to contribute to action films for years to come one way or another (director, stund coordinator, fight coreography...)

What a guy :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks