What's new

The DVD day’s are numbered. (1 Viewer)

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
Yes - what Malcolm R posted above is exactly what I meant re: my comment about some people being unaware that Blu players are backwards-compatible & also play DVD's. I wasn't referring to current Blu player owners, but those who still only own a DVD player & haven't upgraded to Blu.

That being said, I do agree that probably 99% of consumers that collect/watch physical media are aware that Blu players are backwards compatible.

Last edited:

Sega

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
Yes - what Malcolm R posted above is exactly what I meant re: my comment about some people being unaware that Blu players are backwards-compatible & also play DVD's. I wasn't referring to current Blu player owners, but those who still only own a DVD player & haven't upgraded to Blu.

That being said, I do agree that probably 99% of consumers that collect/watch physical media are aware that Blu players are backwards compatible.

Sega

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
Yes, they are. I even have a Toshiba HD player that is still going strong. It will also play everyday DVDs. And can still find HD DVDS on EBay.

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
to play DVD "smoothly" on bigger screen, you need to employ FUR-Forced Upscale Resolution depending on the size of your TV.
for example, some folks couldn't tell if i was playing the DVD or BD format of Pearl Harbor when they came to visit me in my new place where i was turning on only the 50inch TV that is directly facing a much bigger 75inch screen. the specific player connected to the 50inch is set to output @ 720p, zoomed in to fill screen showing them what they're seeing on public broadcast which often in 16:9 "fill screen ratio".
then in 2nd demo, some will detect MPEG MOTION NOISE on fast moving object on 75inch TV when i play the same clip again with the same format with the same 720p output setting. this time in original WS2.35:1 widescreen ratio such that the picture height from the 50inch when compared to original widescreen on the bigger display would come to close height in measurement with discrepancy of about 3~5% or so... in the follow up setting, i forced the player to output at 1080p, MMN is smoothed but little much evident when compared to 720p output setting.
after this demo, some of these visitors were so determined to upsize their displays, while some considers their sitting arrangements.

DVD play on bigger screen is possible. but that would be dependent on the settings on the player as well as your sitting distance. my sweetspot on both displays that faces one another is 2meter away from the screens, that would often require me to move my seat depending which aspect ratio source i'm watching.
I'm certainly not getting into rearranging my furniture or primary seating position to accommodate a certain resolution; that being said, it may indeed come down to some tinerking with player/display settings to get highly compressed 480i material to look decent on a massive screen.

However, I'm still skeptical about how this content is going to look once we go larger than 65 inches, taking into consideration the fact that I'm always going to have my disc player (whatever that may be at the time; probably the same 4K UHD BD unit I'm using now if it holds up) upscaling the DVD to the display's native resolution (though I will be keeping all picture settings on their neutral/"0" positions within the spinner). There's only so much that can be squeezed out of a 480i resolution that was originally intended to be watched on....well...the kinds of televisions unlike what we have in our homes now (don't forget -- studios used to release full screen versions of some of their titles separately so those with small 4:3 tube TVs didn't have to deal with massive letterboxing eating up the valued space).

Still, one has to wonder...if DVDs of blockbuster titles are still being released alongside the Blu-rays and Ultra HD Blu-rays, has there been any consideration paid to the fact that many of the people still buying them DO have widescreen 4K TVs at home...and yet the resolution is STILL 480i? :oops:

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
It's still a viable medium, IMO, given the right hardware (i.e. scaling of an UHD BD player) and assuming the mastering was done properly.

I still buy DVDs if it's something I want. A lot of TV shows haven't been released on BD yet, for example. And I've recently made a point of picking up a bunch of John Sayles movies on DVD because they aren't on BD.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Part 1:

I don't see DVD's dying anytime soon. Back when Blu-ray's were first released in 2006 & then won the "format wars" (with HD DVD) several years?! later, I remember reading/hearing a predication that Blu-ray's would "overtake" DVD's at some point & that the older format would no longer be produced.

However, here we are - 17 years after Blu-ray's were first released/introduced - and DVD's show no signs of extinction.

Hell, with so many titles I buy being BD-only or UHD+BD, I was surprised to discover a couple of recent title releases that were BD+DVD (eg. Women Talking).

Sega

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
Hopefully my old Pioneer LD player continues to function for awhile longer. Still plenty of films I have on LD that haven't been properly released on DVD or Bluray including the Alamo.
My two LD players craped out. But I looking to see if I can get them fixed.
One comes on. But will not play the disc. I'm going to look into that really well.
The other one. Zip. No power to it;(

YANG

Screenwriter
not joking. i had done that and my idea had inspired others to do so with their music library, with IKEA shelving and their Vinyl records covers. let me look into the previous discussion in another forum to dig that pic out...

YANG

Screenwriter
IMG_20230304_120042993~3.jpg

here it is... as a Deco hanged to the back of the door to the media/book shelf.​

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks