What's new

The Conjuring (1 Viewer)

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Really wanted to like this and after all the good reviews I was expecting a lot better.The cast is great and and I appreciated the slow build up Wan is going for, but I couldn't shake the feeling that this was a combination of many different and more effective moments from other films. Even the attempts to scare felt recycled - wasn't there a leg pull in one of the Paranormal films? That creepy tree looks like the one in Sinister? The ghostly reflection from countless others? Etc etc.Glad it worked for a lot of people but I was disappointed.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I might be crazy but I'm really getting tired of the 2.35:1 aspect ratio and feel it's getting overused here lately. I certainly didn't think it worked with this film as everything just wasn't "tight" enough.
You're not crazy. I feel it is overused as well. I love that ratio with black and white, but for color I prefer 1.66:1. As that ratio is no longer in use, I think 1.85:1 is the most suitable for 95% of movies being made now, almost all of which are 2.35:1 anymore. Spielberg was reticent to use the Scope ratio (due to cropped t.v. presentations, maybe), and if other directors were more selective about using it, I think it would be more meaningful/impactful.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
I'm with Simon. I went to it expecting something chilling and I don't think anything in the film gave me goosebumps. In fact some of it just felt ridiculous - the hands coming out of the dark and clapping, for example. When I got home I looked up some message boards to see what people think and I was surprised to find a lot of people raving about it (but not everyone). I dunno. Maybe I watch too much horror.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
These kind of movies are more enjoyable for me when they don’t make silly “based on a true story” claims. The minute I read that the “psychic investigators” in the movie are the same people who claimed that the fraudulent Amityville case was “real”, I tended to tune out.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Those with Netflix can watch MY AMITYVILLE HORROR via streaming but the reason I'm posting it here is because Lorraine Warren takes part in the documentary. I must say that after watching this film I don't believe the stories about Amityville and I'd also highly question the events in this film. Still, fans of this film might want to check it out as her part comes around the 50-minute mark or a little later.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Michael Elliott said:
Those with Netflix can watch MY AMITYVILLE HORROR via streaming but the reason I'm posting it here is because Lorraine Warren takes part in the documentary. I must say that after watching this film I don't believe the stories about Amityville and I'd also highly question the events in this film. Still, fans of this film might want to check it out as her part comes around the 50-minute mark or a little later.
Being from same part of Connecticut as the Warrens, I'd listen to the Warren talking about their experiences on the local radio there since the early 70s. I don't believe any of that stuff, but it was still fun to listen them.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks