What's new

The boys at the pet shop - Fundamental (1 Viewer)

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
Anyone listen to their new album yet? Really good stuff. I instantly fell in love with Minimal and Integral.

~T

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Picked it up at Target for $11.98 (woohoo!!) but haven't had a chance to listen to it yet...but it's getting across-the-board excellent reviews.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
WOW! What a great CD!!! Popped it onto me iPod and listened to it on the way to/from work and LOVED it!

More later....

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Still waiting for mine to arrive on the slow-boat from Australia (I ordered the Limited Edition 2-disc version), but I can't wait.

The "I'm With Stupid" single did arrive and I like that pretty well.

I just wish they'd catch a break on the airwaves. They've been making consistently great music for over 20 years now, yet most of the US thinks they quit the biz in 1990.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Which only illustrates the stupidity of the general record-buying public. They're the third- or fourth-bestselling dance act ever in the USA. In the UK, they're one of the top acts in terms of top twenty hits (e.g. they've had more top twenty hits than the Beatles).

The new album has been out for a month or more in the UK and I agree it's superb. I think it takes a couple of listens to appreciate its strengths, but it does eventually grab you and it's their strongest album for a good many years. Incidentally, I don't know if the tracks are available outside the UK, but itunes in the UK was offering downloads of a couple of demo versions of the songs on the album.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Thi:
I have seen them live three times and they have always been great. They tend to create an "experience" rather than a straight-forward concert. Lots of use of costumes and video/effects to enhance the music. Generally alot of the music is programmed with some live augmentation and all live vocals. I highly recommend checking out the DVD "Performance" to see them at their peak.

I think it's sad how they are basically ignored in the US (except possibly in clubs). The UK release of the single "Minimal" has some great unreleased stuff included: the single version of "Blue on Blue" (great dance track) and "In Private" with vocals by Elton John (this is the same song that Dusty Springfield recorded with them about 15 years ago!).

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
New PSB album coming in January 2020. First track "Dreamland (feat Years & Years)" available for download now at iTunes.

They put out a 4-song EP earlier this year, "Agenda", but it didn't really do much for me.

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
Wow, they have barely finished their current tour and have already announced a new one, a 'gretatest hits', no less, but still a new album also announced.
Will they play that as well on the tour, who knows? Not much info on the new album, like is Stuart Price still involved?
All these questions.

And I agree 'Agenda' didn't do much for me either, sounded like outtakes that should have remained that way.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Wow, they have barely finished their current tour and have already announced a new one, a 'gretatest hits', no less, but still a new album also announced.
Will they play that as well on the tour, who knows? Not much info on the new album, like is Stuart Price still involved?
All these questions.

And I agree 'Agenda' didn't do much for me either, sounded like outtakes that should have remained that way.

There's a track listing on their website. It's almost all hits except for maybe two new tracks.

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
There's a track listing on their website. It's almost all hits except for maybe two new tracks.
Couldn't find it, unfortunately, but found this:
The song was written in London and produced by Stuart Price at Hansa Studios in Berlin and The Record Plant in Los Angeles.
Pet Shop Boys have recently completed work on their latest studio album – the third part of a Stuart Price-produced trilogy which started with "Electric" in 2013 and continued with ‘Super’ in 2016. The album will be released 24th January.
Stuart Price AND Hansa Studios, I'm so there!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks