What's new

The Blues Brothers Big Screen Special Event (1 Viewer)

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Well, what I saw on the big screen was definitely not the old transfer in terms of detail. For example, that "West Interstate 90" sign at 10:18 of the original DVD release is a mess--you can make out the 90 and barely make out the "WEST" but the "Interstate" is blurry and illegible. In the theater, you could almost see "Interstate" spelled out. That is my reference shot at the beginning to see what kind of detail we are dealing with theatrically. Same with the neon "Triple Rock Baptist Church" sign at 16:59--blurry on DVD, fine in theatrical projection. (And no amount of upconverting the DVD would fix this.) I see edge enhancement on the old DVD. I thought there might have been some minor EE in the theater, but it did not stand out. What did stand out were the pauses--2-3 second each, with sound going away, during at least two spots in the film. I think we were watching different sources on uncalibrated equipment. It looked high-definition in Dallas. And as I said, the sound was awesome, although my ears are still ringing.

But without the new DVD, I won't be able to make a complete judgement on the old transfer / new transfer issue. Hopefully I'll be able to post something about that on Wednesday or Thursday.

- Steve

Mark Lucas

Second Unit
How far back from the screen did you sit? Because it was clearly standard def at the screening in Hollywood, and obviously the same old transfer as the Collector's Edition dvd that's been out for years. Same pasty DNR and same EE. There was also the screen dorr effect at times.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I was mid-way back in the auditorium.

Where were you seeing the DNR?

Was your intermission to the tune of a repeating acoustic guitar riff playing over and over again, with a notice that there will be a brief intermission before the feature starts? Did the National Cinemedia logo appear after the presentation?

I am wondering if you had a different source than we did--especially since you did not see pauses or glitches in the video/audio stream, and we definitely did.

Thanks - Steve

Mark Lucas

Second Unit
The DNR was all throughout the picture, just like the dvd. Smearing during pans, pasty skintones, blown out highlights, etc. All magnified on a big screen. Nasty stuff. No compression noise oddly though.

The intermission after the Q&A was of a countdown clock ticking down in silence. This was turned off though and the projector adjusted. The actual movie didn't start until well after though because obviously when James Brown and John Landis are in the building people will want to shake hands and get them to sign stuff. lol No logo after the movie. Ended right after the Universal Studios ad (Ask For Babs).

I'm starting to think it was the same source only ours was played back via a local server and not broadcast like yours. Your source also probably used a DLP projector so you were seeing HD or whatever the dvd is derived from. I really can't comprehend how a theater in Dallas gets a better presentation than the main screening in Hollywood, where the director, producer, and actors are actually watching the movie.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Here are a few photos from the Monday event, courtesy Universal:

Under the All Great and Powerful Wizard of Ahs, that's Gordon Meyer, director John Landis, James Brown, guitarist Steve "The Colonel" Cropper, Henry Gibson, and former Universal head of production Thom Mount.

James Brown asks "Have you SEEN THE LIGHT?"

A little closer view. John Landis, James Brown, Steve Cropper, and Henry Gibson.

Henry Gibson and Thom Mount.

(Photo Credits: Todd Williamson)

- Steve

Mark Lucas

Second Unit
It's a real mystery why this didn't happen at Arclight instead. They have way better facilities for this type of thing and their theaters are so much better in every way. They wouldn't have projected lousy standard def video either. They would've requested a real 35mm print.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks